Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Is Your Bun a Lump?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    • MimzMum
      Participant
      8029 posts Send Private Message

Soooo….I guess Mimzy has always been this way, ever since I got him, but it’s really beginning to concern me, I guess since I’m doing my best not to become a couch potato.

He really doesn’t do much moving at all, even in the xpen. He has all this room to run around but he just picks a corner, bun loafs and that’s it. (He actually hardly uses the litter pan in the xpen and doesn’t eat or drink much, then he binges in his night pen.)

I am worried (like when am I not?) that he’ll pooch out to be a big, fat bun someday if he doesn’t start moving around a bit. Pip is full of ballon juice and will spazz at the slightest provocation, whereas Mimzy is more chill. WAY more.

I did get the clicker training book and figure I could at least work with him to get him to do a few tricks, but other than that (and no thank you, I don’t have room for the maze) I don’t know how to get him to move a little more. Can’t take him jogging…lolz.

I keep thinking of the link that was in here about six months ago to the Denmark Bunny Decathlons, or whatever that was. Bunnies running and jumping hurdles and going through tunnels on command and whatnot. That was too cool.

No, I don’t expect Mimzy to win a gold medal, just want to keep him healthy. ^_^

• Cassi&Charlie
        Participant
        1260 posts Send Private Message

I taught my lazy bunny, who really is a couch potato as he’s a free range bun and thinks the couch is his domain (he appears to spend all day there snoozing) to jump hurdles really quickly. Unfortunately involving a treat reward so it kind of defeats the purpose of getting him active. I suspect that he’s most active at night (hopefully) but yeah, my bunny is definately a lump. I just count myself lucky that he’s not too active cause I’m a bit of a lump myself and it’s nice not to be the only one chillin on the couch.

• RabbitPam
          11002 posts Send Private Message

MM,
            You posted a few days ago about his having red toes. You’ve been a bit concerned about him, though the reasons have been mild. I’m just wondering if he has something a bit wrong after all and could use a check up. If his toes are really bothering him then he will opt to stay off of them. Thus a couch potato. Maybe he’s just getting plump and is laid back, but I can’t help wondering if they’re related.

• Beka27
            Participant
            16016 posts Send Private Message

is the vet concerned about his weight? i’ve heard of buns losing a bit of weight and they suddenly become much more active.

• LittlePuffyTail
              18092 posts Send Private Message

I have a couch potato too. I let Bindi out in the living room for a few hours every night and he spends like 3/4 of the time on the top of the couch, just sitting there, watching tv. Sometimes I will pick him up and put him on the floor so he’ll run but he just hops back on the couch. That’s just his thing I guess. The other two buns spend the entire out time binkying and zooming but Bindi is just so very laid back.

Unless he starts to become overweight I wouldn’t worry about it. Bindi has never been an active bun and he never got overweight, his last check up the vet said he is at a very good weight for his size.

• bunnytowne
                Participant
                7537 posts Send Private Message

HOney Bun is the same way. Like a sack of rice lounging on the floor or my stomache. HE doesnt’ chew either. OH but he can move when he has to. Never saw a bun that laid back b4.

• MimzMum
                  Participant

No, my vet doesn’t seem to think his weight is an issue. He hasn’t even topped 5 lbs, although to me he looks nice and plump. But I’ve just been watching him in the xpen today and he was really moving around quite a bit. He doesn’t favor any of his legs and shows no apparent discomfort in his feet at all. Then once he and Pip have had enough of sniffing and chinning things, the two of them settle down under the willow tent and only come out for a mouthful of food or to use the loo. Then they come back and snuggle up again. For most of the day, you can find them together like that.

But if he’s by himself, definitely, he doesn’t seem to want to move much. I think he’s more afraid of drawing attention to himself because if I say his name when he peeks out of his little playhouse, he tucks his head right back in again, scrunches up and waits until I don’t notice him anymore to relax. If he’s with Pip and it’s time to go to the bed pen, he will literally try to hide under her so you can’t get to him to pick him up. He’s a very reserved and reclusive little guy.

• Deleted User
                    Participant
                    22064 posts Send Private Message

Mere Male lounging on the couch … now doesn’t that sound familiar Ladies! 

• RabbitPam
                      11002 posts Send Private Message

I think the time to watch him is first thing in the morning and from 5-8 PM. If they are just snuggling during the day under cover, that’s just their way of using each other as blankets for their daily siesta. No bunny is active for much of the day. I used to think that I could play with Spockie if I was home at that time – he’d just look at me like “why are you still here? Why aren’t you at work?” and then go right back to snoozing, snacking and meat loafing.
                        But if Mimzy starts out lethargic and won’t eat or move much, that’s the time to worry. Sounds like he’s fine. (5 lbs.! That’s little LOL.)

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                        Participant
                        12067 posts Send Private Message

My bunnies get really active when I come home, it’s like they sleep and wait to do things until I get there to watch!

I had issues with Chuck (in my mind) about him not doing much for excercise. Although I don’t care if he is a bit plump, I just want him to be happy and was more concerned because if he’s just lounging around AND he can’t see/hear anything-what fun could that be?

Sooo…I discovered he loves to dig and rearrange blankets. He does this every night now and it gives him some stimulation and excercise. Try that with Mimzy and let us know…We can try to come up with other play suggestion to help!

If you don’t do the maza haven you can always make a cardboard condo yourself! They definitely don’t look as nice but I’ve always found them to be crazy for them

The other thing I do to get them more active is re-arrange their cage and/or toys. They have to check it all out again, so it keeps them busy!

• Ana
                          Participant
                          182 posts Send Private Message

Should it be taken as a compliment if a new bun sleeps/lounges next to you?

• Lightchick
                            Participant
                            1017 posts Send Private Message

I totally take it as a compliment when my bun lounges (or flops! she flopped into my legs last night, then looked all surprised that she ran into more than just floor!) next to me. Especially since it’s a fairly recent change…she used to lounge on the other side of the room, and glare at me like she was daring me to come any closer. I think that means they’re comfortable around you, at least…

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                              Participant
                              12067 posts Send Private Message

Huge compliment! Bigger if you can pet her while she’s flooped (feet out sideways or behind) and she doesn’t jump up!!

• MimzMum
                                Participant

*sigh* I long for that. Both buns can be about passed out, but if they even think I’m coming their way….*SPROING!*….ZOOOM!

Meh. Pip went into a thumping fit yesterday because I just closed my bedroom door to change clothes….scrambled up her ramp like Old Nick was after her himself and then started banging out a drum solo. Couldn’t figure out WHAT I’d done to cause such distress! I walk on eggshells around those two! 0_0

• Lightchick
                                  Participant
                                  1017 posts Send Private Message

Oh, poor MimzMum! If it’s any consolation, sometimes Lizzy lounges nearby ’cause she likes me and she wants a pet…. Sometimes she lounges nearby because I’m in her way and she’s fearless and I’m not worth taking notice of… I am just grateful for any notice from her majesty the Diva! ANYTHING BUT THE DREADED STINK-EYE!

• Alicia Conklin
                                    Participant
                                    721 posts Send Private Message

Sometimes Tucker is a bit of a lump..but in his case sometimes I think he’s lonely since he doesn’t have a friend yet, but anywho..

When I see him being too much of a lump or looking really bored I’ll go in and put all his stuff up on his shelf.  He HATES this. LOL  So he’ll get up and go up there and throw it all onto the bottom floor.  Sometimes I’ll make a game out of it and throw it all up there again and watch him throw it back down. 

A sure fire trick for him too is to have my husband come into the room.  To him Mike=raisins so when Mike comes in the room he jumps right down and puts his feet up on the side of his pen.  I make sure that I don’t ever give him treats now lol since I know that he’s going to be getting too many as it is from Mike. 

• MimzMum
                                      Participant

Hmmm…you know I never connected this before, but I wonder….
                                        I haven’t had the easiest time bonding Mimzy and Pip. And they’ve had lots of time that they haven’t been together, for one reason or another, and then they have to reassert themselves all over again each time they get together…..

Pip is now insisting on being ‘top bun’. Mimzy does not like it. He actually seems happier in his mini-xpen next to me at the computer, while Pip has the run of the kitchen.

Geez…maybe I screwed up the bonding? That might be why he’s more sedate now?

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Is Your Bun a Lump?