Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Is two better than one?!? The age old question

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • dmh426
      Participant
      433 posts Send Private Message

So, I have had my mini rex Sophie for 2 and a half years. I adore her. She’s great. She’s been with me since she was 7 weeks old, is spayed, trained to come on command, litterbox trained, is almost completely free range and we have a very cool, loving relationship. Over the past two years, i’ve often debated between getting another bun. What she and I have is so great, would it change? Would she no longer want to snuggle in the nook of my arm while I watch Grey’s Anatomy or would she start acting out to get attention? Would she be jealous of a new bun in her territory? Unfortunately, i have a cozy (small) little apartment and Sophie has the whole run of the place so I don’t know any nuertral territory to intorduce these two in except for the bathroom.

So- here’ s the age old question- is two better than one? Or should I be happy with my little lovebug and forget about getting her a brother or sister? Or, is she lonely and wanting the companionship of another bunny? I just don’t know what to think! HELP!

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

It’s hard for us to know what our rabbits really think. She really sounds like she has a great thing going. It is very possible that she will change – rabbits do teach rabbits good habits and bad habits. I think many would say that they do crave the attention of other rabbits but I would not feel guilty keeping a single rabbit either. After all you are the ultimate decision maker since they are your responsibility.

Also you will have to go through the stress of bonding and do you want to put yourself and Sophie through that? It could be love at first sight with another rabbit or it could be alot of bonding sessions – you can just never know.

Whatever your decision you need not feel any guilt whatsoever as you are providing her with a safe and caring home and that’s the most important thing.

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

well put Sarita… plus, it’s possible that she doesn’t even know what she’s missing…   this makes me think of children.  my son is an only child and will remain one.  folks can’t (or don’t want to) understand this decision… "but then your child won’t have a brother or sister…"  first off, i don’t believe in having children to satisfy other people’s needs… second… there’s no guarantee that siblings (just like bunnies) would even get along in the first place…  if you have something special and you’re happy and she appears to be happy and content i don’t think you’re doing anything wrong.  you could possibly try to do a bunny speed dating session to see how she’d react, but i wouldn’t rush into anything.

• MarkBun
            Participant
            2842 posts Send Private Message

I have been going through the same thing and have brought my bunny of 5 years to a few speed dating sessions. So far, she doesn’t care for anyone. It is possible that she won’t and wants to remain by herself. But, thus far, she’s had a very happy life as I can tell from the way she acts around me.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
              Participant
              12067 posts Send Private Message

Especially if you are around enough that your rabbit does not get lonely, then it’s up to you. I’m sure your bunny is bonded to you and fine. Rabbits are mostly active early morning and evening-when we are around most-so it’s not like even if you work that your rabbit is awake and bored/lonely.

On the flip side…that’s exactly what I though with my single bun Kokanee..We had an awesome relationship and she wasn’t lonely at all. But I really wanted another bun (for selfish reason-for me :p ) and when I finally got a very reluctant maybe from my boyfriend, i rushed out and got one. I had planned to hit a petstore and buy dupilicates of all of Kokanee’s belongings including her own cage…But the lady I got her from said ‘try them together’ and my not-so-rabbit-savy but common-sensical boyfriend said ‘try them together’

So I brought (soon to be) Kahlua home. I left her in the carrying kennel and let kokanee out. We ignored the kennel, so did Kokanee. Finally we impatiently let Kahlua free ready to intervene and seperate (I really though Kokanee would be mad) they approached each other nicely, and groomed immediately. They’ve been best buddies ever since…

My relationship with Kokanee hasn’t changed at all. I never feel that she is bored at home now. My boyfriend’s noticed that Kokanee has become more tolerant of being held and even more cuddly. I would say the only thing is I have to spend more time purposely bonding with Kahlua since she isn’t an only bunny….

• dmh426
                Participant

Soph’s been around other bunnies. My friend rescues them, and we’ll put them all in a play pen to play on a nice day. Ok, it’s really more like Sophie doesnt realize she’s a bunny and all the other bunnies are playing and jumping all over each other and Sophie just stretches up the side of the pen as if to say “um, mom, seriously, these kids are maniacs…PLLLLLEASE take me home”. Never anything bad happens, she’s just not interested, but then again, it’s not her house. I suppose we’ll just wait and see if she (or I) fall in love with another bunny. I never thought I would have a rabbit as a pet, but I was there at my friends house the night she and her litter were born and well, it was love at the first time she escaped her nestbox to hope unsurely right over to me. Since then, I’ve read everything I can about rabbits and try to educate others (god help me with the people who don’t think spaying and neutering is necessary). So… maybe when the time is right….but no rush…i have to go read and have snuggle time since someone just jumped into my lap because she feels like she is being ignored! (Who needs a child when you have the same little attitude in a 4 pound rabbit!)

• Spacehopper
                  Participant
                  540 posts Send Private Message

You poor thing, i had the very same dilemma a few months back. And especially as the first week of bringing Bettie home was just awful as I really could not see a positive outcome and I feared for Bum’s life as this "horrible little thing" would constantly nip him, chase him, hump his head, & in all honesty i really DID regret ever getting her, "My poor Bristar, he’s not happy, what have we done, she’s a horrible evil little thing…" and so it went on. I felt awful as suddenly Bumstar was being forced to pull rank and fight for what had always been HIS territory, every time he lay down Bean would lay on top of him, if he got up and moved away, she would follow, nipping his bum, & i caught her bite Bum’s nose whilst she groomed his head. She was just like a naughty hyperactive spoilt wicked bully child. She was also HORRIBLE whenever Brian was getting cuddles and would barge her way in and bite either Brian or moi. SO, she just got ignored each time she did so.

About a week and a bit later we moved her cage from the other bedroom into ours with the Bumstar, so they could get used to the smell of each other & had supervised "out" times and both know where each other stood. (I also wanted Brian to feel comfortable & not threatened, and wanted Sweaty Bettie to know this was Brian’s turf. Brian wasn’t overly interested, but would appear at the living room door in the evenings looking for Bettie. I had been holding Bettie sat on the floor, and Brian was NOT amused, he sprayed right at me, never having done so before. I was mortified!!!! Within 2/3 weeks or so they were having out time, and i got caught up with something & totally forgot Bettie was still roaming, i raced to check all was well and there they were under the bed..Brian all puffed up duck-like, with Betty stretched full out next to him. And that is pretty much how it went from then on in, been inseperable ever since, and i can honestly say, best decision in a long long time, despite the initial teething troubles, It is SO lovely watching the 2 of them together, and picking up on their funny little quirks.

And don’t worry about the space too much, most rabbits who are not housebuns end up being stuck in a cold rotten earwig infested hutch day in day out come rain or snow, mine have the run of our small flat should they wish, but prefer to stay under the bed for the majority, appearing at the living room door every now and then, but then chasing off after each other back to the bedroom. And I don’t have to worry as much about Bumstar getting lonely on his own all day. GO FOR IT & GOOD LUCK!!!!  If in doubt, just look what i see every time i look under the bed…

(Beka…. Damn right about the brother/sister thing!)

1112185769771.jpg

• Gravehearted
                    Participant
                    2428 posts Send Private Message

I think it just depends on the bunny. Overall I think most bunnies do really thrive when they are bonded. But, growing up we only had solo bunnies and all of them were VERY happy and spoiled rotten. I think the fact that you’ve put her in the pen with other bunnies and she didn’t seem all excited or even interested, may very well be a sign that she’s happy as a solo bunnygirl.

• Lion-O's Mamma
                      Participant
                      47 posts Send Private Message

I’m going through the same exact thing right now. Trying to decide if Lion-O would like a friend. There’s a bunny at a shelter that I have fallen in love with, but I’m forcing myself to wait until Lion-O meets her to decide if I will adopt her or not. I am SO hoping that everything will go well and she can come home with us. Plus I would feel just awful having to leave her at the shelter not knowing if she’d be adopted by someone else or left there for the rest of her life.

• dmh426
                        Participant

i have my friend’s rescued bunnies at my disposal, so i think we’ll start some “dating” and see if Sophie takes to one. Like I said, up until now she’s shown no interest. The only bunny I’ve seen her lay down with and be chill with is her daddy (who my friend will never give up) so….i guess i can’t do this on my time schedule. It has to be on the naughty bunny’s schedule.

• Spacehopper
                          Participant
                          540 posts Send Private Message

Lion-O, i love the avatar pic, making me giggle!! The other half is convinced your bun has been SHAVED!!!..fool.

• Lion-O's Mamma
                            Participant
                            47 posts Send Private Message

spacehopper, i have had several of my friends ask if he was shaved too!!!! people are so silly!

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Is two better than one?!? The age old question