Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Is this normal?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • lovebunny
      Participant
      35 posts Send Private Message

Marinette is an 8 week old lionhead. Both of her parents ears point up like most lionheads I have seen. Sometimes her ears lop down and sometimes they are up. Sometimes one will be up and the other will be down and sometimes they will both be up or down at the same time. Is this normal for lionhead rabbits? The coworker I got her from keeps her buns outside so I did put oil in her ears just in case it might be ear mites but inside her ears look clean and clear. She does groom them a lot but she grooms her whole body a lot. My coworker also told me she has a sibling with lop ears, so I’m thinking maybe she has a little holland lop in her family tree. I am still looking for a rabbit savvy vet in my area to give her a well bunny check up so i’m not sure if I should be concerned. I could not figure out how to resize a photo to show her off but If anyone has any advice or ideas I would be glad to hear them. 

• Asriel and Bombur
        Participant
        1104 posts Send Private Message

Sounds like she’s mixed to me, and nothing to be worried about.

• lovebunny
          Participant

Thanks, I seen a video of a bunny with head tilt and it was really sad. So when her ears started to lop down I got a little concerned. She doesn’t seem to be in pain, she does shake her head once and a wile. I am going to keep looking for a vet but I wont stress over her ears so much in the mean time. Unless they start to look dirty or something like that. My husband said I’m like a first time mom the way I fuss over her but I just want her to be healthy and happy.  

• kurottabun
            Participant
            908 posts Send Private Message

I too think it sounds like she’s a mix A head tilt is quite obvious in that it’s the head that is actually tilting, rather than the ears lopping. It’s also very common for bunnies to groom themselves very often and shake their heads once in a while.

Do be careful about putting any oil IN her ears though. It’s generally not advised to put anything in their ears as it might irritate them. For mites, the typical treatment is via topical application, i.e. a dose of Revolution at the back of their necks, in between the ears.

• lovebunny
              Participant

Thank you for the advice. I will not put any more oil in her ears. I thought that would help her if she did have ear mites because of a few videos I watched on you tube. This is just another reason I am so glad I found this community. I found a vet who has experience with rabbits. He said a lot of people bring their rabbits to him for small things like regular checkups because his prices are lower than than the vet hospital at the collage, but suggested I take her there for anything major. He is not willing to spay a female but he does neuter males so that is good to know if I get her a companion some day.

• Asriel and Bombur
                Participant
                1104 posts Send Private Message

If she has dry ears ever you can use coconut oil but that’s more like a small amount on a cotton ball gently patted around the parts that look dry. Ear mites will never go away with oil, it’s always vet care.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Is this normal?