Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Is this hutch safe?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lacee
      Participant
      4 posts Send Private Message

Hello!
        I am a new member to the form but I am an active bystander. I am looking for a new hutch for a single rabbit. I do not like the look of NIC and I am really looking for a hutch to house my rabbit indoors. I found the below one and I love the look of it and the functionality BUT it says it is made of fir. I understand the fir is dangerous for rabbits to eat but what about being housed in a fir hutch? It seems most of the hutches online are made of fir. Thank you!

Said hutch in question:
        Lovupet Wooden Chicken Coop Rabbit Hutch Bunny Cage Wooden Small Animal Habitat w/Tray 4 Doors https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GLHRPHP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_H4zMCbEWE25GM

• BellaSimiLillianAndSnow
        Participant

honestly that cage looks small i prefer not shopping online but actually seeing it in person

• Cocoa
          Participant
          728 posts Send Private Message

I’m not sure if its safe but it is definitely too small

• Sirius&Luna
            Participant
            2319 posts Send Private Message

I think normally once the wood has been kiln dried, it’s fine. Hopefully, the rabbit wouldn’t be eating large amounts anyway, but they might have a little nibble here and there.

As the others say, it’s quite small. It could make a nice base for a free roam rabbit, or you could add a ‘front yard’ to it in the form of a run or X-Pen. If you don’t like the look of bars, I made some fencing out of perspex and wood myself so that you can see right through

Here’s some good guidance on size:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/guide_size.asp

• Lacee
              Participant

The hutch is 20inx47in and it’s two floors so a total of 13 square feet, which is above the recommended 12 square feet.

• Lacee
                Participant

Thank you, Sirius&Luna! He’s not much of a chewer on his current cage so I’m hoping he won’t eat this one up, I will be putting aluminum angle on the edges he can get to though to eliminate him eating anything that may or may not hurt him.
                  The hutch is 13 square feet which is larger than the recommended 12 feet and he will be having an xpen attached to the hutch. I do like the idea of making my own fence! Thank you for the ideas.

• sarahthegemini
                  Participant
                  5584 posts Send Private Message

I can’t believe such a small hutch costs so much You could make one yourself that’s a lot bigger for a lot less money. And you can make it look more like a nice piece of furniture too (I know NIC grids aren’t the most appealing, you could make a nice wooden one)

If you look on instagram or Pinterest, I’m sure you could find a tutorial or something so shouldn’t be too difficult.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Is this hutch safe?