Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Is there an “in between” phase of bonding?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Balefulregards
      Participant
      715 posts Send Private Message

Specifically, Jackson and Coco are now full time living together. There has been no fighting. They now have side by side litterboxes. The poop wars ( with its more horrifying counterpart, the Urine wars) have stopped.

His chasing is minimal – although he does like to try and sneak up on her when she is eating and mount. She has never allowed him to mount her. Ever. She doesn’t get aggressive, just moves.

They spend a fair amount of time lounging in the maze haven during the day, so no chasing then. But aside from the attempts to mount ( he was neutered on the 7th of August) he doesn’t seem seek her out the way I had hoped (? I know, right!) 

But they share littler box space, they share hay racks, they share the main mat where the greens are placed – I’m just not feeling the love.

Am I looking at a lifetime platonic “Meh” relationship here? Is there a phase in bonding when they coexist but as “Friends”?

• MarkBun
        Participant
        2842 posts Send Private Message

It should get better. The fact that he mounts her while she’s eating is his way of saying “You’re not allowed to eat until I’m all done.” But sometimes he’s not even hungry anymore – just shows that the food is his. But yes, it will get better. You’ll come home one day or turn a corner and catch them snuggling.

My two are more of a ‘good friends’ than a married couple.

• mrmac
          Participant
          2156 posts Send Private Message

Since he was just recently neutered, his hormones may still be there a little. Are they laying together/grooming? As long as they are peacefully co-existing together in the same enclosure, they are good. It may just take them a little while to settle into being together, and finding a kind of comfort and safety in eachother.

• Deleted User
            Participant
            22064 posts Send Private Message

It will come with time. If his neuter was on Aug 7, this relationship must be very new. This is not long at all, and the sharing of various things is an excellent sign.

• MooBunnay
              Participant
              3087 posts Send Private Message

I would imagine that if bunnies didn’t really like each other you would definitely be encountering some fights between them. I’ve seen all kinds of interactions between bonded pairs, but I’d definitely say that they must enjoy each other’s company if their poop and pee wars have stopped. I wouldn’t be surprised if you see increasing amounts of grooming between them. I have a pair that has been bonded for almost 3 years now, and they are constantly getting into “groom me” wars where one tries to shove his or her head under the other one’s chin in order to force the other to groom their head! Its funny because they also get in little spats like a married couple, its very entertaining to watch

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Is there an “in between” phase of bonding?