Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Is she playing or being a brat?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Katydidz
      Participant
      60 posts Send Private Message

So last night Trixie and I were having some chilling on the ground time. I decided I’d been handling her too much and wanted some time with her to play without being smothering. So I put her in a little make#$@! pen on the ground and sat in it with her and let her do her thing. I wasn’t touching her or anything I was just sitting minding my own business, watching her and being available if she decided she wanted some pettins. Well after a little while of checking things out she came over and hopped into my lap so I gave her a few pets and then left her alone to let her explore.  Then she started sniffing around my arms and out of nowhere CHONK. She bit me right on that tender spot on the underside of your arm. What the heck? So I squealed and moved her off me then she hopped around and played for a little while and came back over to me all nonchalant (bunnies don’t do nonchalant well) and started sniffing around my other arm and then CHONK and she hopped away and binkied! Like woohoo! Making the big thing in the corner squeal is FUN! But then she was giving my arms little licks and gave me my first (non biting related) nuzzle. So what the heck?

Then this morning I went in to clean up the nights messes, we’re still trying to get the hang of potty training and she does 99% of her business at night so I reached into her cage and started cleaning things up, doing our normal routine and she sort of pounced at me. Well after being tasted twice the night before I pulled my arm back out of instinct. She did this lunging thing a couple more times and finally I just took the top of the cage off and hurried and cleaned up her messes really quick. She didn’t actually bite me or anything this morning so I don’t know if it was like a game to her or if she was trying to be threatening.

Also, can anyone give me an idea of what a bunny scream sounds like? I heard something around 1230 last night that really scared me, it sort of sounded like a high pitched growling meowing cat sound but I thought it might have been Trixie so I jumped up to check on her but she seemed fine. I had been asleep so I guess I could have dreamed it but it seemed very real. It’s also very possible that there were cats fighting outside the window they run wild in my parents neighborhood (which is why Trixie never gets unsupervised time outside).

This new bunnymama thing is intense.

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

It sounds like in the first instance she was playing. In the second instance she doesn’t want you handling the stuff in her cage (at least while she’s in it) – very typical rabbit behavior.

I’ve hear a few bunny screams but I can’t really tell you what it sounds like right off because I don’t really remember but I don’t recall it sounding like a cat at all.

• bunnytowne
          Participant
          7537 posts Send Private Message

bunny scream is like a high pitched EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!    somewhat like a person screaming but much worse sounding.

• Beka27
            Participant
            16016 posts Send Private Message

ditto Sarita. like human babies, bunnies explore with their mouths, so she might have been playing, or just trying to figure out what your arm was. the cage thing is not uncommon at all. you’ll want to start cleaning her cage when she is not in it. i’ve learned that the hard way (ouch!) eventually you’ll learn what her stance is right before she lunges. the ears are a big clue.

• Hedi
              Participant
              969 posts Send Private Message

Most of my buns will give us a nibble if they want attention. Your bun may have thought it strange that you didn’t continue to pet her. Some of our buns will pull on our clothes too or dig at us for attention.

I only have one bun that does the growl/lunge thing when I reach into her cage. She is over 5 yo and set in her ways so I’m used to that from her. I just always expect it and dodge the lunge and reach down to pet her and shes fine. None of my other 3 buns are that territorial.

I have never heard a bun scream either but I have heard it is the most horrific sound to hear. I think there is a video on youtube of someone taping their bun screaming. It was pretty bad.

You probably heard cats outside? When neighbor cats are outside mating it sounds as if they are being tortured.

• Katydidz
                Participant

she didn’t growl when she lunged, i’m beginning to think she just wanted to get to the other side of her cage and i was in the way.

• Lightchick
                  Participant
                  1017 posts Send Private Message

My rabbit tends to be very territorial.  She pounces sometimes when I reach in her cage.  At first, like you, I thought she was just playing…although it FELT awfully agressive to me.  But because I gave her the benefit of the doubt, and would just pet her when she lunged, she decided she was top bunny, and started pouncing outside of her cage, in her pen.  And then when I didn’t back off fast enough, she took to growling and even biting.  I yell “No!” really loud when she does any of this, now, and have a spray bottle of water to surprise her with if she is aggressive with me.  Maybe your bun won’t be as bad, but I don’t like having to flinch when I have to do something in her cage.  Because even to get her OUT of the cage in order to clean it in peace, I have to reach in to either chase her out or carry her out…either way, I STILL have to reach in!  She can hunker in and glare at me, but no attacking!

• Katydidz
                    Participant

Trixie and I had a little chat last week and the aggression issues seem to be getting better. Now we’ve moved on to curiosity and bunnky licks. Apparently I taste awesome.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Is she playing or being a brat?