Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Is she a false Netherland Dwarf?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Dilaratan
      Participant
      4 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone!

We have a new member in our house. She came home when she was 8 weeks old and bow she is about to be 10 weeks old. She seems longer and more athletic compared to real dwarf bunnies. She is 0.5 kg right now. I love her soo much, it doesnt matter she is true or false but i just wander and want to guess how much kg will she be when she is fully grown. Is this cage enough for her? Thank you.

• Wick & Fable
        5770 posts Send Private Message

Unsure what you mean by “athletic” (I think all rabbits are quite athletic, but personalities may differ in how they express that energy), but the ears do look a bit bigger for a dwarf. She could be a mix or a false — My dwarf was .5kg at about 16 weeks, but growth trajectories can vary.

Regardless of true dwarf or not, I do not think that cage is appropriate. Any housing you have for a rabbit that may act as an enclosure at times you cannot supervise should be as big as possible and allow room for the rabbit to move and jump around. How long is your rabbit going to be in this cage typically?

Unfortunately, that cage doesn’t seem like it provides more than a couple platforms for a rabbit to sit/lounge on, rather than actually move around. One guideline is that any enclosure flooring should be at least 5 times the size of the rabbit when they’re entirely stretched out. I think a platform on that cage is only about 17in long, which isn’t enough space for my dwarf to do one hop across. An easy solution would be to purchase a large Xpen and have it set up around/attached to the cage, while always leaving that cage’s door open. This cage could be your rabbit’s ‘home base’, while the Xpen would provide the necessary room to move around.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Dilaratan
          Participant

Ah thank you for the answer!!
            i forgot to mention that she is free in our living room 12 hours a day. The door of her cage is always open. She is toilet trained and when she needs to use the litter box or when she is hungry she can go to her cage by hersef. We keep her in the cage at night since we can not watch her.

i have her baby photos and she looks like a real dwurf bunny with tiny ears 🙂 i guess they may change when they grow up.

Thank you!
            <p style=”text-align: left;”></p>

• Wick & Fable

It’s great to hear she has 12hrs of free roam time! I would then revise and say if you wanted to boost her opportunity to exercise and general enrichment, maybe just set up an Xpen at night. Rabbits tend to be more active during some hours when we’re asleep, so giving her that opportunity might be nice. Also, I would recommend if she has that free roam time to maybe put a litterbox+hay in the freeroam space. I know it’s not the most appealing thing, but it will really help boost a rabbit’s hay intake, which is vital for them to be and stay healthy.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Dilaratan
              Participant

Ah great, ok i will look for xpen ideas! But she can jump quite high hope i can find something suitable 🙂

thank you!

• Wick & Fable

Xpens are usually made for dogs, so they can be quite high. Typically, a 3ft (36in) xpen is tall enough for most rabbits. Also, rabbits will not try to clear super high obstacles unless they really want to, so if you cover the outside of the pen with a bedsheet and make the area inside nice for the rabbit, they typically dont try to jump the wall.

• LBJ10
                  16869 posts Send Private Message

Her ear length and face shape suggest false dwarf (or a mix). She’s super cute though!

• Dilaratan
                      Participant

Ahh i am pretty sure her mother and father are %100 netherland dwarfs i saw them. She might be false i guess.
                        thank you very much 🥰

Viewing 6 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Is she a false Netherland Dwarf?