Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Is my buns cage ok?

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
    • BunnyLiz
      Participant
      1212 posts Send Private Message

Hi i was lookin around the site at everyones cages and reading about how they were made, and i realized no one had a cage like mine. i looked on google for pics of bunny cages and pens but nothing close to mine. everyone elses has NIC cubes or something similar on the floor for added play space. mine is made of wood and is much like a cabinnet. i covered the inside in the stuff they put on walls in shower stalls so he wouldnt eat the whole cage. also it is really easy to clean : ) 

It is very similar to my rat cage actually. but anyways i was wondering if you guys think its got enough space for play and is ok in general. Its two levels right now, 2×4, but the third will be finished soon… what do you think?

p.s.- we cut holes where it looks like he cant get through, sorry should have taken better pics.

18951839971.jpg
        18951875854.jpg
        18951913358.jpg

• Lion_Lop_Lover
        Participant
        971 posts Send Private Message

Wow! Absolutely incredible!!

• BunnyLiz
          Participant

yea i was pretty proud of it but now im not to sure, i was told that he was going to get really big so im concerned that he may not be able to stand when he is fully grown. is standing really important? he has playtime outside of his cage for about three hours a day so he could stand and such then right?

• Binkles
            Participant
            823 posts Send Private Message

Ohmigawsh!! That is TOO CUTE!!! =D Props!!!

I was actually in Target the other day, looking at a cabinet similar in composition and thought casually to myself, ‘hmm…you know, somebody could really make a cool hutch out of that!’

• Scarlet_Rose
              Participant
              4293 posts Send Private Message

That is a great cage BunnyLiz! How big is your bunny going to get compared to how big he is now? To answer the question with the height, is it good for them to be able to sit upright and clean themselves comfortably. NIC cages are about 14″ in height on each level, can you measure what the dimensions are of your cool habitat?

• BunnyLiz
                Participant

Thanks! im not sure how big he will get, the guy i bought him from didnt know what kind he was but he is only 9 weeks now (and in the pics). he told me to expect a large bunny, said he was a mix (i felt sorry for my poor bunny boy), but they had dwarf and giants so idk what he will be. the height of each level is 16 inches so i guess he is pretty well off there : ). so its ok that he doesnt have one large area to run in? instead just a large area all split up? i cant add a gate of any kind since i have 3 dogs and 3 cats

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                  Participant
                  2517 posts Send Private Message

Wow, that’s a neat enclosure! My same worry is that if the bunny grows much, the height might be restricting.

The little roof you started building is clever. What the heck is in that little white basket, though??

• Alicia Conklin
                    Participant
                    721 posts Send Private Message

I think it looks great since he’s also getting some out of the cage time as well.  My rabbit lounges most of the day or hops around and eats and checks things out.  He’s not insanely active except for a few hours out of the day (whether he’s out of the pen most of the day or in the pen the entire day..he tends to go about his business as usual) so if he’s getting out of the cage time for that crazy hyper time I don’t think he’d need more space in the actual cage. 

Also, I just switched from a cage to a pen…mainly though that I think was for MY benefit.  Tucker seems just as happy with it now as he was before! I however like that I can reach into him wherever he is and that it’s easier for me to clean and easier for the kids to get in and sit with him.  So, I think that if bunnies have space to run and play they don’t care if it’s in a cage or out in an enclosure!  I’m pretty sure they just appreciate not being in a pet store sized cage if you ask me!!  Tucker uses his one that he came in as a litter box lol

One thing I did want ot add though, is that you might be able to do a fenced in area even if you have dogs/cats.  I don’t think you NEED to but if you want to it might stil be able to be done.  My two cats I thought would want to eat my rabbit..but they’re actually good friends!  And my dogs, I’m sure they would go after him if he was out and about..so I keep him in his pen when they are around.  But when he’s in his pen they leave him alone.   They’re not a threat to him when he’s in there since they can’t get into there.  I don’t know how big your dogs are or if they’re jumpers though.  One of mine is pretty big but she can’t jump the edge of his pen.   The cats might also not jump in there.  One of my cats loves my rabbit and when he’s out of the pen they plan and lounge together.  But when he’s in his pen she’ll lay right outside it but she won’t jump in with him.  I think the whole idea of the pen scares her. 

Also I love those baskets!  Are they like office supply ones?  I think Tucker would love one of those for a bed!

• BunnyLiz
                      Participant

The white baskets are from walmart, one i keep his toys in and the other a blanket. he loves to sit and groom himself in them. they were in the kitchen area for holding fruit and stuff on the counter

• Alicia Conklin
                        Participant
                        721 posts Send Private Message

Oh! ok cool..I will definitely look for them!! He loves little spots to hop into and sit but if I put cardboard in there his bunny sense tingle and he goes nutso and eats it all!!

• JK
                          Participant
                          2223 posts Send Private Message

Wow I love your cage, very Martha Stewarty!  Can you add an xpen for more running room?  There definitely should be enough room for him to stand up.  Can you make the 2rd level a pitched roof or taller?

• BunnyLiz
                            Participant

I would love to add a xpen but it scares me that not all my animals are friendly towards Hammer. I have two beagles (breed to hunt rabbits, but dont of course), one loves Hammer (maybe a little to much lol, she could hurt him and not mean to) and the other barks. the third dog is indifferent about him as she is about must things. One cat likes him for awhile, then runs away at Hammers excitement of having a pal. One stalks him while the other cowers in fear.

The third level roof will be roughly 20 inches at its highest point, the other two levels are 16 inches. so that will add a little height. He knows im talking about him HaHa. he is banging the doors to let him OUT! like it was jail or something lolz.

Tucker- this is Hammer here, now that mom let me out, she can be so mean. she actually left all day without me! ill show her, i wont so much as look her way (even though she brought me back some stuff). anyways i love cardboard too! Boxes are great because you have so many angles in which to destroy the box from. Inside, outside, on top, and from the sides, they are such fun! here is a tip- promptly at 5am every morning go chew on a box as loudly as possible to wake your mom up. mine just loves when i do that!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                              Participant
                              12067 posts Send Private Message

I think it’s great and very clever! If you wanted to add an xpen you always could and just make a roof for it

Definitely for now, size wise its great!

• bunnytowne
                                Participant
                                7537 posts Send Private Message

Wow what a great cage. I have to show this to hubby. He might be able to make one for me.

• baby_daisy
                                  Participant
                                  37 posts Send Private Message

WOW!!!!!  Your cage is amazing!!!  I am also going to show this to my hubby     Daisy seems to be growing sooo fast she will need a new one soon

• Veronica Vigilant
                                    Participant
                                    186 posts Send Private Message

Wow. Did you make the entire thing yourself? Or are you just adding on the top floor? Either way it’s quite impressive and I think my buns would be jealous! And it’s looks so easy to clean the way it opens up… wait… I think I’m jealous!!!

• Moonlight_Wolf
                                      Participant
                                      1155 posts Send Private Message

Woh, I really like it!! I am jealous… it is such a cute little home

• Sarita
                                        Participant
                                        18851 posts Send Private Message

Am I missing someting? How does he get from one level to the next?

I think it’s okay for now but when he grows up he needs plenty of room to stand on his hind legs.

• BunnyLiz
                                          Participant

Bobs mom- i kinda made the whole thing lolz. my moms boyfriend is sorta a handy man so he actually built it, i just painted, glued, sanded ect. I did however design it, i want some credit lol. We found that starting with a cabinet was cheaper, so we bought the cabinet and put it together and altered it. What is already built was the cabinet, the roof is a upgrade. It is super supper easy to clean! twice a day, one minute each time. really cleaning once a week if that.

Sarita- there is a hole in the floor of the second level above the shelf and ramp, and a circle cut out of the divider on the first floor. He loves his two seperate rooms on the first floor. One is his kitchen the other his bathroom lol he is so spoiled.

Viewing 18 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Is my buns cage ok?