Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Is my bunny sad?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • Donteattheapples2
      Participant
      5 posts Send Private Message

I have a 9 month old male Holland Lop (first bunny) and he’s very curious and sweet but he spends almost all of his time sleeping (flopped or loafed) and has almost no interest in toys.

I keep trying to get him to exercise more by running around the room with him for little treats or trying to teach him tricks and I’ve gotten him so many toys but he doesn’t really run around on his own or play.

He eats and drinks fine (he’ll do anything for food). He binkies but doesn’t have zoomies like when he was little and I’m just starting to worry that there’s something wrong rather than him just being a very low key dude. He can still be a little skittish too.

I’ve wondered if I should get a second bunny in the hopes of bonding them and that they’d play together but there aren’t any female rabbits available for adoption near me right now. That also seems like a big step to take so I want to see if there’s anything else I can do first or if there’s nothing wrong with him at all.

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

It sounds like he could just be settling into adult-hood. Most buns settle down a bit when they transition from baby to adult, so I’m sure that’s at least part of  it. I think encouraging him to explore and move around with training is a great idea. You can also get or make food puzzles as enrichment activities.

In terms of toys, sometimes some experimenting is needed to find something the bun actually likes. My buns really like things they can chew and destroy. Willow baskets are very popular, as are grass mats and palm plates.

The other thing that can happen, especially with buns that get 100% free roam (not sure if yours does), is that they get kind of settled into the space and lose the urge to explore. I’ve noticed my buns actually run around and explore more when I pen them part of the day, even if they get a huge chunk of the day to roam.

If you are still seeing the occasional binky and he is getting excited about his food then I think he may just be a pretty chill bun. 🙂

Getting another rabbit to bond with him is not a bad idea, but it is a huge step and can take a lot of work, so I wouldn’t feel rushed to jump to that. It could be something to consider in the next year or two if the right bun comes along.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Donteattheapples2
            Participant
            5 posts Send Private Message

Thank you DanaNM! This is super helpful and I feel much better. He is completely free roam but I have a baby gate to keep him in one room at night. Maybe I’ll try keeping him “penned” in there for a little during the day and see if it brings back his urge to explore. Thanks again 🙂

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Is my bunny sad?