Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A is it ok to bathe daily?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • x liddo bunny x
      Participant
      314 posts Send Private Message

my buns are only 9 weeks old. is it ok to bathe them daily… i am still poopy training them (they got the peeing thing down but they love to sit in the corner litter pan and eat for long periods at a time so i moved the food away from the pan and they still go in the litter but i just moved it today and dont know if they will still continue to use it without the food nearby…..)

and is it ok to blow dry my bun?

• poopy
        Participant
        684 posts Send Private Message

No!

• Gravehearted
          Participant
          2428 posts Send Private Message

hi xliddobunnyx,

welcome to binky bunny! rabbits are very good at keeping themselves clean. since baths really stress out bunnies, they should only be bathed when a doctor directs you to for health concerns.

how many bunnies do you have? it can be very challenging to correctly identify the sex of very young bunnies. many pet stores will sell two bunnies who are supposed to be of the same sex and the new owners are shocked when one of the bunnies gives birth a few months later. Since bunnies can get pregnant as young as 3 months, it is very important to ensure they’re properly sexed.

this article has some helpful advice on sexing bunnies: http://www.hopperhome.com/hopperhometoomanyrabbits.htm

Take a look through the bunny info section on binkybunny, since there is a lot of helpful advice regarding bunny care, diet and litter training.

Many very young bunnies have a challenge with litter training. Litterbox habits generally really improve after bunnies are spayed and neutered. It is very important for bunnies to be spayed and neutered for health and behavioral issues.

• BinkyBunny
            8776 posts Send Private Message

Welcome xliddobunnyx.     You have gotten good advice about the bathing and litter training thing. 

I  just have some extra things to add:

So are they getting dirty because they sit in the litterbox and eat?    It is natural for bunnies to eat while they poop.    Are most of their poops soft and mushy which then gets all over the feet and behind?  If so, they could be having a diet issue.

What you can try to do to keep their behinds and feet clean is put hay  in the box.   They can sit on the hay and poop, and many times the their little poops will fall through the hay, and help keep their feet clean.  You can also easily remove messy hay and replace it with fresh hay.   You may have to do that several times a day. 

I have seen many babies, and do understand how they can be messy, but I’ve never seen it so bad that a bath would be required everyday.    So, I am wondering if they are experiencing stomach upsets that would cause them to be extra messy.  

• skunklionshow
              Participant
              1257 posts Send Private Message

I LOVE you Poopy…right to the point…"NO".

Please remember that animals have special oils and skin stuff (sorry I’m drawing alot of blanks right now) and each time you bathe them, they lose the conditioners (that’s the word) that they need.  Don’t bathe them often and NEVER blow dry your pets!!!!  At the animal ER, many pets came in w/ 2nd and 3rd degree burns from blow dryers and cage dryers (the ones groomers use).

I recommend using homemade butt wipes for your bunns.  Bunnies do really well w/ just water for clean up.  Double check if you can use pet tushie wipes (I use those for my obese cats).

Again…Binky’s oh so right….please sex your bunnies.   Our childhood bunnies were supposedly 2 girls, until one gave birth.  I’ve seen this happen sooo many times and unfortunately this is one of the reasons people dump their bunnies.

• x liddo bunny x
                Participant
                314 posts Send Private Message

Thank you all on that. thank good i only gave their bum a wash once. blowdried their bums too but it was not hot at all. i hope it didnt hurt my bun. now i know never to do that again….. now that a week has passed, my brown and white bun is dont well with the litter box training method everyone recomends however, my black bun doesnt seem to get it. when she eats she doesnt poo (in the litter pan) but when she is not in/on the litterpan she will poo. i got her out of her cage the other day and set her down and she started leaving trails of poo…. worst thing is, i cant tell when she does it. and even worse, i cant tell when she pees either. i set her on a towel when playing with her and she sat there for me to brush her but when i moved her back to her cage i noticed a wet spot…. (yes, it was pee) – -“
                  i was thinking about using the squirt gun to catch her before she pees but….. i cant tell when she is going to.

hmmm well all i know now because i am not at home right now is that they are both of the same sex. both look identical down there. so i dont have to worry about one impregnating the other. i am 20 so i put major thought into purchasing a pet. so the sex of the buns was my major concern when purchasing them however, i didnt purchase them from a store. i purchased it from a private breeder and hopefully she got it right. but to make sure, i am going to check and get them checked just incase. dont have money to get them spaded/nudered so i watch over them carefully.

how do you make home made tushi wipes?

off topic but i must say it. I am very proud of Mochi (my brown and white bun) she learned how to use her potty flawlessly, even after i let her roam about the livng room and she just learned how to rub noses with me (seriously, its very cute). so i am very proud, on the other hand, her right ear finally fell (she is a lop) and i am sad. she looked so adorable with one up and the other down. can u guys imagine how cute it is to see her when she is curious? =P

thank you all again

• skunklionshow
                  Participant
                  1257 posts Send Private Message

I got this info from the house rabbit website

Mineral Oil and Cotton Swabs – used for keeping those smelly scent glands clean as a whistle.

Chlorhexidine-type Solution – for wound flushing. Chlorhexidine can also be used to soften and remove droppings stuck to bun’s butt at bunny butt bathing time. Can be purchased through your local vet or through the mail from a pet supply catalog.

I’ve made tushie wipes by mixed mineral oil and warm water.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A is it ok to bathe daily?