Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A is it normal sneezes or something to be worried about?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • moonmoonmoon
      Participant
      26 posts Send Private Message

hmm I feel really embarrassed for feeling I am not taking a good care of moon due to him almost having a new symptom every time we finish a vet visit,, well I have been noticing lately that moon has been sneezing quite more than usual and sometimes there is no residue and it seems like a normal sneeze and sometimes when he sneezes there would be white snots(?) in his nose or around which I then would use a cotton bud to gently remove it and sometimes there would be very very little dried boogers around his nostrils which i would just wipe them away,, I have been keeping the room clean daily by making sure I vacuum after sweeping the floors and wiping it after with sanitizer,, I do not know if it is allergies? Because he has been doing well in dust and not sneezing at all after going in deep places in the house which are really dusty and I do not use anything scented in the room nor any perfumes since we have been staying at home a lot due to the pandemic,, regarding to his general health he is doing quite well with his pooping, eating and is very very energetic by jumping and almost breaking a jar twice,, a real troublemaker (-‸ლ)

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

Sneezing paired with white nasal discharge is a classic upper respiratory infection sign. Unfortunately, rabbits will not “get over” a cold on their own— they need antibiotic treatment from a vet.

See here to ensure you’re seeing a rabbit-experienced vet, as there are many common mistakes made with treating URIs, like not doing a long enough course or thinking it’s chronic when you actually haven’t tried the right antibiotic: https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Choosing_a_rabbit_veterinarian#Rabbit_veterinarian_listings

Generally, the sooner you start treatment, the better since the infection has less time to grow and multiply.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• moonmoonmoon
            Participant

oo okay thank you so much for the advice!! I will book an appointment soon with the vet I am currently bringing moon to,, hopefully it doesn’t goes bad and cost a lot^^

• LBJ10
            16898 posts Send Private Message

I agree with Wick. Having a white nasal discharge is a red flag. This is a symptom of a URI and will need to be treated. The good news is that antibiotics are relatively inexpensive. Just make sure the vet prescribes an adequate treatment duration. We often see people give their bunny an antibiotic for only 7 days and then see a recurrence of the infection.

• moonmoonmoon
                Participant

Thank you so much for the advice!! We are going to the vet today so hopefully whatever happens is not bad and he heals well soon˙˚ଘo(∗  ❛ั ᵕ ❛ั )੭່

• moonmoonmoon
                Participant

+ update 

Yesterday I went to the vet and the doctor diagnosed him as either allergy or respiratory infection since there were no samples or any evidence for him to know where and how it started (even I),, thankfully with the advice given I quickly brought moon the doctors and got his antibiotic and flu medicine before anything got bad or his infection went out of hand,, he told me to keep an eye out for him especially his eating and poop until the meds are finished and if anything else happens before that an immediate appointment to the vet is needed. Hopefully moon will heal soon and no other symptoms appear and if any other bunny owners who are also struggling with the same scenario as I, please do visit the vet immediately and may this forum help you too ^_^

• Wick & Fable

What medicines were you given? I am confused by “flu medicine”. True rabbit allergies are generally rare — a URI is much more common. I anticipated you would receive a single antibiotic. Is the vet rabbit-experienced?

Note that if you do not see improvement or things worsen within 5 days on this antibiotic, it likely is not effective against this particular URI and so the course of action is to switch to a different antibiotic.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• moonmoonmoon
                      Participant

Well the vet isn’t an only rabbit vet but there are a fair amount of rabbits patients and also the doctor is very experience in dealing with rabbits,, the nurse did not specificate the flu medicine just the antibiotic telling me it’s for the bacteria and all but with the doctors description upon checking up on moon the flu medication might most definitely be to calm down the sudden rapid sneezes and they did say not to give him anymore of the flu medication if he is doing better

• Wick & Fable

If you can’t find the name of the flu medicine, then we won’t be able to comment on it. That being said, an antibiotic alone should be enough for a URI treatment, so if you have any suspicions or notice anything, I would err on the side of not giving the second medication. I hope he does well on the antibiotic!!

• moonmoonmoon
                          Participant

huu I am so sorry for not being able to give you more insights of the medication and it is my fault for not knowing more of it since it is my first time getting medications like this for him and I will follow your advice to stop/lessen if there is anything suspicious while observing moon,, hopefully the next trip I can try ask the nurses what type of medication it is!! And by the way,, thank you so much for your blessings!! I, too hope for the best for him

• LBJ10
                          16898 posts Send Private Message

I wonder if the “flu medicine” is an antihistamine.

I agree with Wick, without knowing what it is, we can’t really comment on it. Typical URI treatment consists of an antibiotic. Do you know what the antibiotic is?

• moonmoonmoon
                              Participant

Sadly no,, I do not know since the nurses did not give me a specific name for it just only what the antibiotic is about and maybe you are be right about the flu medication being antihistamine because since last night he hasn’t been sneezing really badly like before but he still sneezes from time to time,, as I commented before, on the next trip to the vet I would try asking them what those two medications specifically are,, ^^

Viewing 6 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A is it normal sneezes or something to be worried about?