Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING is it dangerous to try to bond two rabbits if one has a splayed leg?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • caitlin
      Participant
      20 posts Send Private Message

hi everyone 🙂 i heard about this bunny that has been living outside for a while and it has a broken leg, but when the person that found the bunny took him to the vet, the vet had said that the leg had been broken for so long that it most likely does not hurt him anymore. of course i would ask my personal vet if he feels the same way, but it seems as if this bunny just hops around without using the leg. would it be dangerous to try to bond him with my (spayed) female? would he be in danger because of his disability?

thank you in advance

• HipHopBunny
        Participant
        640 posts Send Private Message

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking in this bunny. 🙂 Yes, that is a good question. Is your female kind and gentle? Or is she cage aggressive and doesn’t like other buns? A bun who doesn’t like others all that much I would say would not be the best of companions for him, and it could stress him and her out. If she is gentle though, I would put them together, watching like a hawk in some neutral area, you could do your own little speed date. 😉 If all goes well, I would say we could continue. Although, if she tries to hump him, I would immediately end the session there, for that could hurt his leg.

Wishing you the best of luck! 🙂

• DanaNM
          8935 posts Send Private Message

I think it could be done safely, but would depend on both bun’s personalities and the experience of the bonder. I’ve heard of bonded pairs where one rabbit has a disability, and often that rabbit is very submissive and it works out very well. But you would want to be very careful during bonding to make sure everyone stays safe. If they are immediately aggressive towards each other, it probably would not be a good match and I wouldn’t force it.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• poopscoop12
            Participant
            34 posts Send Private Message

Is your girl dominate? My girl is disabled but is very timid and submissive, she’s big on licking everyone, any bunny would’ve got along with her and I bonded her fine with the boy.

Today I caught him humping her again (weird) They’ve been bonded for 6 weeks now. I just pop him off when he’s humping her and she is trying to run.

There was never any aggression showing on both buns, no biting, no fights, just the boy humping – she attempted to a couple of times but fell off backwards when he moved.

Just have to keep a close eye on them during bonding sessions. Fortunately mine was bonded as soon as his hormones died down. I let them live side by side for 5 weeks (he was spayed and adopted a week before). During this time, I swapped them around each others pens throughout the day, I had to cover one of the pens as he went bonkers when he sees her, I uncovered them during feeding time facing each other through the pen (veggies/pellets), then without the pen but separated them again once one was done eating, slowly did uncovering session times to let them see each other more often.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING is it dangerous to try to bond two rabbits if one has a splayed leg?