Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE is catnip bad for bunnies?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • babybunsmum
      Participant
      3896 posts Send Private Message

wierd question right?  but i was out trying to find scratch toy ideas for my bun and saw a lot of corrugated cardboard cat scratch toys.  was thinking of making my own when an employee mentioned they had ones to give me for free.  FREE.  (calm down its just cardboard).  they were left over from a promotional thing.  problem is that it has catnip in the box with it.  does anyone know if thats a bad thing?

1111712385171.JPG

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

Definately not a weird question! I cannot say for sure that catnip is O.K. It acts as a sedative (like valerian) for humans and so I would have to say no (erroring on the side of caution). Because if it has the same effect on a rabbit, that means their GI tract would potentially slow down and that is definately not a good thing.  Not a whole lot is known about medicinal herbs and their effects on rabbits and so I use the rule of thumb not to give it to them unless a vet specifially gives the O.K..  Too bad though, it looks like it would make a great chew toy!

Hmm, it seems to me we’ve had this discussion before. I’m going to see if I can find it.

• osprey
          Participant
          2065 posts Send Private Message

MediRabbit lists catnip as "toxic when fresh".  It does not mention dried, but i would avoid it if possible.

• babybunsmum
            Participant
            3896 posts Send Private Message

well then it looks like my friends 2 cats are in for a treat!  thanks for the responses… i tend to think all things are dangerous unless i hear otherwise when it comes to rabbits.  off i go to cut some catnip-free cardboard

• Scarlet_Rose
              Participant
              4293 posts Send Private Message

Well I hope your cats have a terrific party!  You’ll have to show us the aftermath.  The natural oils in the plant have the medicinal compounds and when fresh, are the stronest, and when dry, while diminished in strength, are still there.  It would be very hard to say how much of it is still there and at what strength depending on the variety, growing habitat and the way in which it was dried.

• Deleted User
                Participant
                22064 posts Send Private Message

The little bit of cat nip left over from my cats rolling in it does not seem to affect Shadow. There is always residue on the floor and he sniffs it and eats it but is not overly fond of it.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                  Participant
                  12067 posts Send Private Message

Yes…if they eat it, then it is toxic…things ‘treated with catnip’ like a scratching post etc. should be fine, mine have two cat scratching post hidey hole things that were treated

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE is catnip bad for bunnies?