Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Is anything this vet said true?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • LionelLop
      Participant
      31 posts Send Private Message

I’m trying to get an appointment for the only other exotic vet near me but currently they’re always unavailable when I call. So here’s the deal.

2 weeks ago my rabbit stopped eating hay. Rarely she attempts to eat a piece of hay but it’s obvious she struggles with it. Sometimes she makes a wet noise while chewing like she just can’t grind it down and then gives up. 99% chance it’s tooth problems, right?

I took my rabbit to a vet recommended on the house rabbit society website. I seriously think they should be taken off of the list. The vet at first thought she was anemic and needed an emergency spay. She said she’d have to check her blood levels to see if she was VIABLE enough for surgery, otherwise she’d probably die. 20 minutes later she says my rabbit is the picture of health and that we can spay whenever we want in the future. She was told about how she has trouble chewing hay. She said maybe her stomach didn’t feel good so she was spitting up food (rabbits have no gag reflex). I was given critical care and a $200 vet bill and was told to get her to eat hay.

Well today I decided to call because maybe she was confused with the information she was given. One of my family members took her so it was kind of a game of telephone. Nope. Today I kept bringing up how I was worried about her teeth, but that she can eat pellets perfectly fine. She concluded my rabbit has a problem with her glottis, and that she might have a rare degenerative disease with her throat. WHAT? I kept asking whether her teeth looked ok in the exam and never got a straight answer. Then she said it’s difficult to see in the mouth of long-faced breeds without them being put under, which she wasn’t. She also said it’s probably not a problem with her teeth and is a swallowing problem because rabbits swallow pieces of hay whole. But…they grind that hay down before swallowing it. Which is what I said she’s struggling to do!! She also kept telling me to feed her critical care even though I kept reiterating she IS INDEED eating so she doesn’t need to be force-fed.

It’s just mind-boggling to me how she keeps offering these super rare ailments instead of addressing the most common ailment rabbits have, which is tooth problems. It’s like there’s no common sense. I had to vent because now I’m probably going to have to wait weeks before getting into this other exotic vet.

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

That’s very annoying and confusing!

I would definitely get a second opinion and request a dental x-ray. Usually they only need to do very light sedation for x-rays, if at all (depends on how squirmy the bunny is and if they are able to trance them).

Did she give you any pain meds? Sometimes even a little metacam helps buns eat their hay when they are having some dental pain.

PS. I would also for sure let the HRS know about your experience with that vet.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Azerane
          4688 posts Send Private Message

I wouldn’t trust that vet.  It’s possible the clinic were listed years ago due to a different vet on staff that was very rabbit savvy.

If it were me, I would phone the exotics clinic and get the soonest available appointment, if that’s in a week, so be it but at least you have it. In the mean-time ring around local clinics, ask if there are any vets on staff that have lots of rabbit experience, ask how many rabbits they see etc. Here it’s common for clinic websites to list their staff with a brief bio so you can see if they have a special interest or training.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Is anything this vet said true?