Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS IRIS brand bunny pen?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • En Loch
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

38x26 crate

Hello!

First off, I’m super new here and also don’t have a lot of experience with forums, so please let me know if this breaks any rules.

I was wondering if anyone has used this “crate”/kennel as an enclosure? It’s not as big as I had hoped, but should give Bunny enough room to stretch out and up, have a litter box, and some toys. I plan to give an hour or more of free run time in my room daily with lots of enrichment toys. I’m more so looking for any ways you guys make have decorated this pen or made it as functional as possible?

The pen measures a little over 38″ long and a little over 26″ wide. It has a height of around 27”.

Thanks!

• LBJ10
        16907 posts Send Private Message

Is this just being used as a “home base”? It seems small to be used as a full-time enclosure. The total area is less than 7 square feet. Plus there is no top and 27 inches isn’t very high.

• En Loch
          Participant

Hello! Hope I’m replying correctly

Yeah it was intended just to be a pen while I’m juggling time between work and my dogs. I intend to give lots of roam and enrichment time outside of the pen.

I was able to reconfigure space though and found room for a little over an 8ft² enclosure, thankfully! More of a c&c type pen.

• Hazel
            Participant
            2587 posts Send Private Message

If this where the rabbit will spend the majority of it’s time, then it’s way too small. Even with a cage of suitable size (big enough for the rabbit to hop a few times in every direction and stand up without touching the top) the rabbit needs at least 4 hours of free roam time per day. That’s the absolute minimum, one hour is not nearly enough. I wouldn’t bother buying this, as LBJ said, this is only suitable as a home base type thing to keep litter box and food in, not to actually lock the rabbit up in.

You mentioned building a 8sft cage which is better, but still only half the size you need. The cage dimensions for a single rabbit should be at least 4ft x 4ft, so 16 sft. Then they still need the 4 hours of playtime every day.

• En Loch
              Participant

Thanks everyone, I nixed this cage for that and a couple other reasons and found a solution for about an 11ft² one. I’m super committed to giving lots or free roam time, I will just have to figure out how to balance the dogs being crated vs the bunny roaming. I do a lot of enrichment work and trick training with my dogs and am hoping to continue that on with my bunny, so I’m planning for a lot of mental stimulation as well as physical. There definitely is a learning curve here coming from dogs to bunnies, but I truly think I can make it work. I plan to adopt from my local rescue as well to get the bunny that best suits my needs and lifestyle. I’m sure the rescue will inform me if I need to change anything about my enclosed. If anyone knows of anyone who has happened to make a bedside table out of bunny pen (one of the galvanized dog pens) I could possibly do that as well for even more space.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS IRIS brand bunny pen?