Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Intersex rabbit

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Mp
      Participant
      46 posts Send Private Message

Hi

I have been trying to track down my rabbits medical records since we adopted him in April. He had come from an awful hoarding situation and was one of about 289 bunnies rescued.  I now realise he had an awful start to life. He is also not 7 months as I was informed but he is 2-5 years. Oh and after I finally managed to track medical records I found out he is an hermaphrodite. I would have liked this information before I adopted him or at least after.
        He has been neutered by the shelter and his vagina has been stitched up.

I can not find out any more information from the shelters ! I have tried and tried. I have no idea if he has a uterus. It says he was sterile and has male as his identified sex on the form.
        It also says he was housed with another male.

I have been trying to bond him with my other male bunny. It has been ok but not quite happening. Could this be why?

any help or advice would be great at this point.

thank you

• Wick & Fable
        5771 posts Send Private Message

Sex can be a contributing factor to how easy a bond can be, but I don’t actually think it’s a deciding factor. Males can bond with males and females, and females can bond with other females.

Re: being a hermaphrodite, if your rabbit is hormonal due to the presence of a uterus (not sure if that means the hormones would be intact or not though?), this could be a contributing factor.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Mp
          Participant
          46 posts Send Private Message

I am not sure if he has a uterus. I am going back and forth between the two shelters that had him and I don’t seem to be able to find out any answers. The notes say he is likely sterile and he was in a cage with another male and not to rehome as he is likely sterile.

Would hormones make him aggressive? He has not shown any signs of this – it is my other bunny that will nip and chase.
            would the hormones confuse my other bunny?
            this is all so strange.
            He was so timid and scared of everything I was worried he would never settle but he seems happy although he will not go up to the other bunny and will not groom.  (This seems to be where the issue lies) they eat together – and are generally able to be together but are not snuggly or close.
            I would love some advice. It has been 10 weeks now and I would love to have them be in the same house.

the bunny is much happier  but I worry that he may become more aggressive as he becomes more confident in a few months.
            He seems to enjoy being around my other rabbit- which now makes sense because he is used to being in a cage with a lot of rabbits.

my other bunny likes people but tolerates him.
            maybe they are not a good match.
            should The intersex rabbit be a lone bun? If so I will have to surrender him but that would make us so sad. (And I imagine hard to rehome – shelters are so full right now)

He also seems to like company.  (Not humans! He prefers his own kind for sure- very wary of people)
            Again after hearing what he has been through that is understandable.

I would think a girl/boy is actually better than 2 males?

I want this to work so much but it has been such a process so far.

many advice ?
            thank you so much.

• Wick & Fable

The presence of an unfixed rabbit can bring about hormonal behavior in a fixed rabbit. That being said, any two rabbits, regardless of fixed status or not, being put together is likely to lead to aggression. Rabbits are territorial animals and another rabbit is very often going to make one or both rabbits aggressive by nature.

Have you been going through the formal bonding steps these past 10 weeks? This includes pre-bonding, neutral territory dates, etc.. Information can be found in the RABBIT INFO section of this website.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Wick & Fable

I am going to close this topic since it is merging into your other topic.

All users who want to comment should go to the following link: https://binkybunny.com/forums/topic/happy-but-not-bonded/#post-1949491

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The topic ‘Intersex rabbit’ is closed to new replies.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Intersex rabbit