Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Insurance

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Nicci607
      Participant
      320 posts Send Private Message

Is anybody having insurance on their bunny/bunnies?

I would like to get more info on pet bunny insurance. Is it worth it? what do they cover? [eyes, teeth etc.] Is there a waiting period? deductable? limit per year? did you have any problems finding a rabbit savvy vet accepting insurance?

any info would be appreciated.

thank you  

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

we’ve had threads about it. i think the premier one (and maybe the only one that takes buns?) is VPI. there’s a link for it on the link page.

i want to get it. i really do but the hubby is not convinced. i had another small stasis scare yesterday with Mead, so i am thinking i’m going to go ahead and get it regardless of what he thinks. the quote i rec’d is 12 bucks per month per bun. you must have a credit card and it automatically gets deducted each month. i’m not 100% sure what the specs are on it, but i’d check out the site, or i’m sure someone will be along soon who has it. i know BB has it.

• KatnipCrzy
          Participant
          2981 posts Send Private Message

I have it for my bunny Cotton.  I have not had to claim anything for her yet- she is about a year old now. I can tell you what my experience is- but keep in mind that Insurance laws vary from state to state so you may find some differences.  Cotton’s monthly premium is just under $10 a month- but I am on a group policy thru my work (vet clinic) and that gets a small discount and I have 2 dogs insured also which also receives a small multipet discount I believe. 

Most vet clinics are not going to accept the insurance directly.  Insurance claims are something that you have to submit and the check is mailed to you- most vets are going to be willing to help you out and provide the info you need such as diagnosis, etc for the form and they will likely even fax your completed form and receipt to VPI for you.

Other pets such as dogs and cats are able to have “routine” care rider added to their insurance- but as far as I know- at least for sure in Michigan- that is not available for bunnies.  So nail trims are not covered at all- as this is maintainence and teeth trims are typically not going to be covered as this falls under “malocclusion”- which is determined to be genetic.  You CAN insure a rabbit with maloccluded teeth- but nothing related to the maloccusion will be covered- but other problems would be if they are not related to the maloccluded teeth.  And from my understanding-  jaw abcesses are covered by insurance.

Cotton has been healthy and has had no health problems and while none of her spay was covered- I do think that if there were any problems afterwords- she would not eat, diah, etc….I do think that would have been covered.  I decided to get insurance for her since bunnies can have sensitive tummies  and abcesses can be a problem- hopefully I will never need to use it.  Even though I work at a vet clinic that will see bunnies and spays and neuters them- my vet (we are freinds) told me that if Cotton every developed GI statis, a severe jaw infection or another severe health problem that could threaten her life she would encourage me to take her to a vet about 45 minutes away that sees exotics animals (used to be a zoo vet) for treatment. 

Most claims that you can make will have a $50 deductable and then they cover a certain amount of diagnositcs and treatment. But one major incident could easily get you a reimbursement from insurance that is more than the premium you paid for the whole year.  Most likely not an exam visit with meds- but if your bunny is hospitalized and needs surgery or treatment- insurance will most likely end up paying you more than your yearly premium.

I think that BinkyBunny has had insurance claims with Rucy and her teeth and it has been well worth the premiums for her.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
            Participant
            12067 posts Send Private Message

I think they only prob is the same as with any insurance…if they can turn down your claim they will. If they can call it a pre-existing condition they will. If the policy is comprehensive (read the fine print too) and not too expensive then it’d be worth it. if they don’t cover much you’d be better puttting the cash in a bond or a saving account for an emergency
              -just my opinion though!!!

• Veronica Vigilant
              Participant
              186 posts Send Private Message

I have VPI for both my bunnies and it’s already paid for itself- the first bun due to a vet visit for a rash/flaky skin on her ears and the subsequent follow-up appt and the second bun because I took him in for stasis and they did an x-ray to make sure there was no blockage. I think they each have a $50 deductible, but just with those 3 vet visits I’ve already saved money due to having the insurance so I’m a big fan

• skunklionshow
                Participant
                1257 posts Send Private Message

I ditto Katnip!  I have VPI for both buns and 1 out of 4 cats.  I got it b/c as my other cats have gotten older, they’ve gotten pretty sick.  Max had to have radioactive tx for his thyroid after he developed allergies to the meds.  Then he developed a chronic skin allergy (still being tx for) and a nasal problem.  He’s become very expensive.  I have another cat that developed diabetes.  So in the long run, I know it will save me money. 

The cat I have the insurance for was recently dx w/ early kidney disease.  Lots of diagnostic tests, his yrly exam, and a dental.  This year alone w/ meds he’s cost me about $700!!!!  So insurance was awesome!

I have 2 pre-existings on my rabbits:  Leo has dental probs & Jessica was attacked by her former cage mate.  I thought it was odd, but Jessica got listed as pre-existing for stitches.  I just needed to show that we could go 6 mos w/o needing tx for either problem.  So we are good now.  I definitely am glad I got the insurance.

• Veronica Vigilant
                  Participant
                  186 posts Send Private Message

pre-existing for stitches????? wow, that is odd!

• MooBunnay
                    Participant
                    3087 posts Send Private Message

I have pet insurance on one of my bunnies, it is my oldest bunny Grace. I also have VPI – it is the insurance that I had heard the most about, and it is very easy to use (at least from my experience so far). It gives me a bit of peace of mind that I have that in case an emergency comes along, but do make sure to read the fine print, just to see exactly what is and isn’t covered.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Insurance