Forum

OUR SITE IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS. YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO LOGIN YET.   WE WILL ANNOUNCE WHEN READY. THE SITE MAY BE SLOW, SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT.  YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Home Forums HOUSE RABBIT Q & A In Need Of Some Good Vibes

This topic contains 112sd replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  PZF 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 113 total)
  • Author

MrGimly
    Participant

So i didnt want to bump an old thread, but Gimly is back at the vet today, all day, for observation. He still hasnt gotten any better since he started acting lethargic/lowered energy/running into things about 6 weeks ago. Hes had blood work done and xrays done and everything has come back fine. He had his teeth burred last tuesday(has this done often) and his bladder flushed of his severe bladder sludge. He was on an antibiotic as well for 10 days. Nothing is improving. since his teeth burr he seems less interested in hay than he already was. i have been syringe feeding him some critical care to supplement the fiber for him. hes still eating all his food and favorite treats and loves petting. the only new thing i have noticed is that if he really leans over to scratch behind his ear he will flop over, and i have seen him seen a bit wobbly sitting up to groom as well. but he gets around hopping just fine. We might try EC meds even though that test came back negative. Im not sure what else we can do.I hate seeing him this way, but he still looks happy, and has had better days than others.

Sofia
    Participant

Lots of love and vibes <3

Asriel and Bombur
    Participant

Honestly I think treating for EC would be a positive. Most EC tests come back negative even if the bun is having an active infection. They really need to be in the top tiers for their numbers for the test to come back as positive. My boy Bombur has chronic EC, which is different from a bun experiencing acute flare ups. He needs to be treated with EC meds every few months in order to stay good. I will say, be patient. EC meds can take 2 weeks to really kick in and you see the affects. So if it’s not working right away it doesn’t mean anything. When Bombur was first diagnosed he was on back to back rounds of Oxibendazole. We didn’t see much improvement until a few weeks in, but then it did start getting much better.

To be completely honest it has sounded like EC from the start to me. The neurological symptoms and the urinary symptoms all really point to a flare up of EC. Which is why I honestly think it’s best to pre-treat before knowing for certain because the test often has a false negative.

MrGimly
    Participant

Our vet( who is a rabbit savvy vet) just wanted to explore some simpler options first before diving into EC treatment. She mentioned it to us after we picked him up last if he didnt not improve at all. Her only concern was that apparently rabbits can become anemic on the EC meds, so she would want to monitor his blood, which im fine with. I’ll see what she tells us later today after seeing him, but im leaning towards EC treatment. Is there just one basic medicine used, or a couple options? Is it a fairly easy medicine to give?

Asriel and Bombur
    Participant

There’s a few different options. Usually anything in the Bendazole family. It’s so important to get that 2 and 4 week blood test though! Bombur has only been on Oxibendazole, which is considered a stronger one because it actually crosses the blood-brain barrier unlike some of the others. But most vets treat with Panacur (Fenbendazole). There’s a third drug that my vet says isn’t as effective, Albendazole. Here’s a good link to read on the disease and the treatments http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/cuniculi/pyrimethamine.htm

It’s a standard liquid med. It’s given for 28 days, and you’ll need to go back after 14 to pick up a new bottle because it expires rather quickly. It’s also a good time to go get that 2 week blood test. I’ve always just squirted it on his nightly greens to save the hassle of excess handling.

MrGimly
    Participant

thanks for the update. hes really good as far as medicine goes and i have no problem handling him and squirting it in his mouth, so long as its some kind of sweet flavored medicine. he goes crazy for metacam after his dentals and we just put it on his oats. im just hoping that since its been about 6 weeks since he was in, that we haven’t waited too long to treat him.

Asriel and Bombur
    Participant

Honestly he’ll be fine as especially if he responds well to treatment and it sounds like he’s a fighter so that’s always in their favor. I think we waited to treat for EC too. We initially treated 4 weeks on antibiotics with no luck, so we got the blood test with a big fat positive. He’s usually much better 2-3 week into the meds.

Sending you guys so many vibes <3

MrGimly
    Participant

thank you. he is a little fighter. hes been tough throughout all this and is actually healthy outside of this issue.i have been getting him to be a little bit active every night and hes super happy with his food. still pooping a lot overnight too even though they are smaller due to lack of hay, but he takes his critical care like a champ. His test even came back negative for it, but we were told its not uncommon to get a false negative.

MrGimly
    Participant

Im kind of confused. The vet called us and said he was showing the same symptoms there that we explained he was at home. She thinks doing EC treatment is a good idea but only wants to do it for one week and then see if there is any improvement. Isnt that too soon to show signs of improvement? Im going to mention to her doing atleast 2 weeks to start with.

Asriel and Bombur
    Participant

Like I said, we really didn’t see much improvement until after the second week of treatment. It seems a little odd to only do it for a week.

LittlePuffyTail

(((((((((Vibes for Gimly))))

I agree, EC meds sound like the best option. It’s what I would push for in your situation but it needs to be done for the whole 28 days for it to be effective. As far as I know, even if it’s not, EC it won’t cause him any harm to be treated for it.

MrGimly
    Participant

Thanks. I asked about the week only treatment that was suggested as a start, and it was because he didn’t really have tell tale signs of EC. But ultimately it’s up to us. She said to call back Saturday. I’m going to say we need to do at least 2 weeks and then a blood work up. The reward vs risk is worth the treatment here.

Bunny House
    Participant

I agree, I would push for EC treatment, it won’t harm him and some buns don’t show typical EC symptoms. You can also consult another vet to see what they say!

MrGimly
    Participant

Vet thinks hes losing some muscle with him not wanting to be as active. he had dropped some weight from 10-1 through 11-1. he was down from 4.25 to 4.13 in that time frame. so we gave him additional food and he weighted 4.20 on the 20th(weighed before they flushed his bladder sludge so im sure it was slightly less). Yesterday he weighed 4.08, and the vet suggested additional food again. when you pet him and feel him he doesnt seem thin, so thats why she suspects muscle loss. poor guy. hopefully the EC meds will work and he will slowly gain his strength back. and i have been trying to get him to move around a bit each night and its not like he struggles to move, he just doesnt want to on his own very much. oh also his blood work was fine last time a few weeks ago.

Q8bunny
    Participant

Aww, Gimli… I agree with a minimum 2-week EC treatment and reevaluate at that point.

You’ve got our love and well wishes… ((((((Gimli)))))) ??

MrGimly
    Participant

Not that i want to get ahead of myself since its only been a couple days on the panacur, but he started eating a lot more hay, doesnt look like hes struggling to chew, and has generally looked more alert in the morning and evenings. he even went and loafed in one of his favorite spots he hasnt gone to in weeks yesterday! we have been giving him some breakfast pellets to help his weight in the morning, and before he would started to fall asleep or zone out eating them, and now they are gone in 5-10 minutes. Hes still not very active but he also hasnt been just randomly falling alseep standing up either.

Asriel and Bombur
    Participant

Awww that’s amazing news!!! Go Gimly! You and Bombur can take back the Lonely Mountain and Moria together xD

MrGimly
    Participant

I know its probably just a coincidence, but it was really nice to see him hay smash, and he had some good poops again. I didnt have to give him any CC either. now, to see how he is when i get home later

LittlePuffyTail

Glad to hear the positive update. Keep em coming. More vibes for (((((Gimly)))))))

Annabelle's mommy
    Participant

Sending lots of love and good energy to Gimly. A sick bun is a different type of heartbreak. I’m thinking of you both

MrGimly
    Participant

Last night seemed good. Gimly really packed on the hay hunger and had good poops again. He didnt have the difficulty chewing and even did the conveyor belt with some dill. Also didnt randomly fall asleep sitting up and was more alert all night with us. he even went and hopped off on his own twice. which he hasnt done in two weeks. once across the room by his expen and kitchen, and one lap around the christmas tree and to his hay. he really took down his breakfast pellets this morning again too. Just gotta stick with it and hope he keeps progressing. We are suppose to call the vet and give an update tomorrow, so im sure they will be pleased as well, and then we can get him more medicine.

Q8bunny
    Participant

Oh wow! Any step forward is worth celebrating. Keep at it, dear boy!

MrGimly
    Participant

Im cautiously optimistic. I thought it had to be just a coincidence with his slight changes being that its so early in his treatment, but he never had a day the past month where he eagerly ate this much hay or didnt do the difficulty chewing. one thing i have noticed is that there has been sporadically some white residue when he goes pee. i have seen it dried on a towel and once right after he went. i assume this is just excess calcium, because i have seen white dried before when he had a different litter setup. didnt look thick like sludge though. Now he did just have his bladder cleaned out since hes a bladder sludge bun, and his peeing habits are not quite back to normal.

Q8bunny
    Participant

Being able to expel any excess minerals is a wonderful thing if you’re a sludge prone bunny

MrGimly
    Participant

Gimly update. He explored around for about an hour last night, and ate a lot of hay. This morning he explored a bit and then hopped back to his expen for hay and has been napping. Looks like he’s got a tiny bit of sludge/ calcium coming out when he pees. His peeing still isn’t back on schedule though. He’s definitely seemed so much more alert and happy. We called the vet this morning and they were happy with his progress and we will happily continue his meds

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.