Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Improved health but weight loss

• This topic has 3sd replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by LBJ10.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • benjaminbinky
      Participant
      36 posts Send Private Message

Hi all –

For context, last week Benjamin was acting less himself (not as hungry for Emeraid, hiding more often) and he lost a little weight. I took him to the vet on Friday. Just before we left for the vet I found mold near where I dry out his syringes when I feed him emeraid. I removed the mold completely and got him new syringes and all that, so mold is gone.

Just a little more context – ever since his major surgery in September his belly always looks bloated and his poops are poor quality, like dark and wet and cecal-like.

Well at the vet on Friday, he got an xray and radiograph to see what’s going on. Everything literally looks perfect, results came back perfect. They tried to do bloodwork twice and it clotted before they could get results both times. Before the xray and stuff, the vet really felt around his belly and intestines (like, deep massage level). They gave him fluids because he was slightly dehydrated and sent us home saying that he would likely bounce back to his normal self this weekend.

and he did!! You guys, hours after the vet visit and ever since his poops have been GOLDEN. Perfect poops. He’s been eating lots and lots of hay and as much emeraid as I’ll give him. I’ve even seen him drinking water, which was a rare thing for me to see these past months. And also, his belly hasn’t looked bloated AT ALL ever since the vet visit. Even after a big meal his belly looks like a normal rabbits belly!! And he’s been so friendly and more energetic, especially today.

So. The reason I’m making this post is because I weighed him today (Monday) and he is 5.66lbs, whereas on Friday he was 5.96lbs. The drop is shocking but.. his belly hasn’t been bloated for the first time in months, and everything else about him is healthy. Is it possible that during the massage from the vet, his intestines got moved around just right and now things are flowing through him healthily? And the weight loss is the lack of “bloat”? Even though he looked bloated at his xray it just showed food in there, no gas.

I’ve reached out to his vet about all of this but it’s likely I won’t hear back until tomorrow. I’ll weigh him again tomorrow and hopefully not see continued weight loss, especially since I’ve been feeding him extra emeraid the past few days.

Regarding the mold, the vet said maybe he was reacting to it a little bit but she was confident that Ben would be totally fine this weekend. And literally everything in his health has improved this weekend with the exception of the weight loss, but he’s not bloated anymore..

I want to hear what you guys think. Thank you!!

• LBJ10
        16933 posts Send Private Message

Hmm… it’s possible that the vet moved something. Perhaps something was “kinked” a bit. Not causing a blockage, but enough of a disruption to cause things to get hung up in one spot. Since his x-rays just showed food, I imagine this “bloated” look was not due to gas. So, I guess hypothetically speaking, it may not be a huge stretch to think held up food was causing him to weigh a little more. But don’t quote me on that. LOL

• benjaminbinky
          Participant
          36 posts Send Private Message

Yes!! I’ve had the thought that something was kinked after his surgery for a while now but never had solid proof.

OMG. His energy today has been fantastic, he’s like a baby bunny again!! For months his hopping around has been more like lumbering, lol. But this weekend and especially today he MOVES. Dare I say he’s zooming!! He’s a brown blur when he runs by!

I’m still a little caught up on the weight loss thing, because for months every  weight dip was a very bad thing so I’m having a hard time with the idea that this weight change is good this time around. Like I said, every aspect of him has improved greatly since the belly massage though! I wonder if anyone else has had a similar situation with their bunny, something being “kinked” in their system and a deep massage gets things running nicely again.

• LBJ10
            16933 posts Send Private Message

Let’s not forget that bunnies are notorious for being sick, you take them the vet, they act normal there, and then the vet wonders what all the fuss was about. But yes, it seems maybe the belly massage is what he needed and it got things back in order. I have not heard of this happening specifically, but you never know. I mean, such therapy exists for people with digestive issues so…

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Improved health but weight loss