Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR IMPOSSIBLE to be litter trained. I’ve tried EVERYTHING.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    • SJ
      Participant
      15 posts Send Private Message

My 2 year old mini rex was neutered around January 2021. I got him when he was 2 months old, and he was never able to learn good litter habits, but he would at least pee in the litter box. It didn’t get any better even after he was neutered. Recently, I feel like he’s gotten worse. He’s been peeing outside his litter box, there are hundreds of poops everywhere. I’ve looked through so many blogs, websites, youtube videos, etc. about litter training and I feel like I’ve tried everything. I’ve given him big cat litter boxes, I put hay in the litter boxes, I’ve given him a lot of treats and pets when he poops in the litter box, I’ve tried making his enclosure smaller, I wipe down everything with white vinegar, I clean his litter box twice a week, I’ve even tried clicker training, but nothing sticks. He does well when I am with him, but the moment I leave – whether it be for work or going to sleep – he forgets all the training and goes where he pleases. I have genuinely tried everything. Right now, I have him in a small enclosure so he has access to only his hut and a litter box outside his hut. But he pees and poops everywhere except the litter boxes. I think he gets angry at me because he pees on the perimeters of the gate, and he doesn’t come out of his hutch until I leave. It’s been 2 years of waking up and cleaning, coming home from work and cleaning, repeat. I’m so tired of this. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

So frustrating!

Do you think he could have any underlying medical issues? I ask because I had a young bun with terrible litter habits, and it turned out he was a very sick bunny. He had a ton of dental issues and ended up dying quite suddenly of unknown causes (I suspect something congenital or maybe bone cancer). Not trying to scare you, but I’m just wondering if he has any other symptoms of illness because pain can make rabbits lose all litter box habits.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• SJ
            Participant

I did bring this up to my vet when I was getting my second bunny spayed, they totally dismissed it and said some bunnies are just really stubborn with litter training.

I wouldn’t completely rule out health issues, but because he isn’t that bad when I am with him during the day, it shows he hasn’t completely lost his litter training. It’s always at night when I close my bedroom door or whenever I’m not with him I find a bunch of pee spots in the kitchen and living room and hundreds of poops.

• Azerane
            4688 posts Send Private Message

What type of litter are you using in the box? As a rex his feet will be more sensitive to substrate, so if you’re using wood pellet litter it would be too hard on his feet, so if you’re using a pellet litter try something like carefresh instead. I would also suggest cleaning the litter box more often than twice a week. I do mine every other day, so 3.5 times a week. Additionally if you’re completely cleaning the box out when you change it, you might be better off just spot cleaning it, and adding a bit of fresh litter and only doing a full clean out and wipe down once every two weeks. It will help keep his scent in the litter box.

With his wee outside the box, if you’re not already soak it up with paper towel and put that paper towel in the litter box and then clean up the area of floor. Getting the wee smell etc into the box is an important part of making that association.

Is the litter box the only place you have hay? If you have hay in other locations take it away and just keep it in the box.

• SJ
                Participant

I do have wood pellets, but there’s a tray so it doesn’t hurt is feet for both litter boxes that I am using right now.

I do soak up his pee and place the paper towels in the litter box. And they have to go inside their hutch to get hay. I do not have hay anywhere else.

I recently opened up their enclosure and there have not been any pee spots, so I definitely know now that he was peeing out of spite when the enclosure was smaller. But I cannot get him to poop correctly.

• Wick & Fable
                5781 posts Send Private Message

You mention a second rabbit — is this his bonded mate, or a separate single rabbit in the household? The presence of a second rabbit can absolutely facilitate territorial pooping and peeing.

A picture of his set-up would be helpful as well!

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM

If you have a tray over the bedding, he might not really be wanting to pee there. I would try using just carefresh with no screen or tray on top. Something about the soft texture really encourages buns to pee on it! Adding lots of fluffy hay in the box helps too.

And yes, knowing the situation with the other rabbit would be helpful. Unbonded buns in the same space tend to have very poor litter habits!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• SJ
                      Participant

No description available.No description available.

This is currently what the set up is. I am running out of litter, so I definitely will try the carefresh. Should I put the wood litter underneath the carefresh or only the carefresh?

Thumper and Bloo are 100% bonded. They are basically glued to each other! Where one goes, the other follows. I don’t think it’s a territorial issue – maybe it is? He always poops/pees in the same place which is outside the light blue litter box towards the kitchen. There’s really no place to set up another litter box where he always goes.

• DanaNM

Ok this is helpful! That screen (especially the white one in the gray box) looks like it could be painful on their feet. I would try using boxes with no screen for now, and just a layer of carefresh. Add a fluffy layer of hay directly on top. There is a bit of an art form to making a bun look enticing enough for the bun to jump in.

If you end up having issues with digging in the box, I would recommend using a screen that is softer on the feet and sits flush with the bedding, so there isn’t a gap. The ones sold in the BB store are great, or you can use knitting mesh. In either case, add a layer of hay on top of the screen.

• SJ
                          Participant

I just got the carefresh in the mail and set up their litter. Thumper is loving it! I haven’t had any accidents so far, but we will see!

No description available.No description available.No description available.

• Azerane
                          4688 posts Send Private Message

I agree 100%, remove the screen, or at the very least put a healthy layer of hay or something over it. Rex rabbits have far less fur on their feet for padding and are much more prone to feet sore. I have litter trays with a sieve but they have much smaller holes so they are more of a flat surface with some holes in, rather than a grate, it means I can still use litter on top as well.

• LBJ10
                            16908 posts Send Private Message

I agree too. That grate could very well be the culprit.

• Maddie Rae
                              Participant
                              40 posts Send Private Message

Unrelated, your habitat set-up is beautiful! Looks very easy to clean hehe.

• Vivicloud
                                Participant
                                51 posts Send Private Message

Thats good to hear, keep us posted on how it goes. I feel your pain on the whole litter training. lol

• LBJ10
                                  16908 posts Send Private Message

I’m glad he is using the litterbox more now. It really does sound like it was a litterbox/litter issue.

• SJ
                                      Participant

It’s been a lot better, but there are still some really bad off days. I woke up this morning to this lol.

Open photo

• Wick & Fable

I would put down large rugs. I understand you may not want that due to the pee/clean-up, but the traction will make movement easier and therefore doing things like jumping in the litterbox will then be much easier. Also, I’d try a bigger litterbox. Perhaps one that would fit that entire empty area to the left of that ziplock bag/container thing.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Vivicloud
                                        Participant

If you have a Ikea near you and money is tight i’d suggest getting Tiphede rug. Even if you have to cut it to fit at least its not a expensive rug

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/tiphede-rug-flatwoven-natural-black-40456757/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_viWBhD8ARIsAH1mCd5vaRI2GOyio_s9v65A3Kt6mgVJWMvqjA6jz358IfDVBtHCd7paBAYaAn8PEALw_wcB

• SJ
                                            Participant

I actually do have this rug! I leave it in my room for them along with another litter box, but it hasn’t helped with keeping the poop in the litter box. Also, it tends to slip even with the non slip underneath it.

I’ve also tried amazon’s puppy litter rug (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F9NFSHY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), but he ended up pooping on it more and peeing 😕

• SJ
                                              Participant

So I put the rug down, but they’ve been pooping and peeing more on the rug :/ I don’t really have access to laundry machines that often so it’s hard to clean up.

• Wick & Fable

For the poop, just plop those in the litter box, and for the pee, spot clean with vinegar spray. It is natural they would mark something new in the area and obviously it overlaps with where they currently were going, but I’d give it more time in addition to cleaning vigilantly. Did you try a bigger box as suggested?

• DanaNM

So, are you 100% sure he’s neutered? It’s also possible for there to be “incomplete neuters”, where just a few cells are left behind, and it’s enough to cause some hormonal marking. Just asking because the scattered pellets and pee all over look like hormonal behavior to me. But I’m glad to see it’s improved a bit!

I agree with the suggestion for a bigger, shallower sided litter box. It also might help to put down some washable pee-pads to make clean-up easier. I started using them with my senior who isn’t so great with his box habits these days and they help a lot.

• SJ
                                                    Participant

I’ve actually questioned the theory of him being incompletely neutered, and I have still yet to ask my vet.

Do you have any litter box recommendations?

I have also tried putting down pee pads, which kind of acts like a rug/carpet for them, but Thumper ended up digging and chewing the pee pads 😥

• DanaNM

For litter boxes, a good option for large sizes are those plastic bins that are meant to go under your bed. I’m currently using dish bussing trays because I had one bun that was chewing the plastic but the dish trays are super thick plastic he was less interested in chewing.

• SJ
                                                        Participant

So the litter box I have now, the gray one, has the dimensions 18″x15″x5″. I looked up a few dish bussing trays on amazon, but the dimensions are either smaller or the same. I think the dimension I have now is too small for both of them to fit.

How many liters was the dish bussing tray you have? It seemed like 8L or 13L dish bussing trays were too small or same size.

• DanaNM

The one I have has external measurements of 26″ x 18″ x 6″ (8.5 gallon/ 34 quart capacity). It’s called “Rubbermaid Commercial Products Food Storage Box/Tote for Restaurant/Kitchen/Cafeteria”

• SJ
                                                            Participant

I got the box in the mail today! And it works beautifully.

However, I was wondering how you can hide it? It’s a big box that is very visible to the living area and I live in a small apartment… I got 2 boxes – I was able to cover one up with the box that it came in by flipping it upside down and carving out a door.

• DanaNM

I don’t have any great tips on that… I’ve given up hiding any of my bunnies’ things and have resolved to live in a bunny pen 😆

• Vivicloud
                                                              Participant

I would double check with your vet, could be they missed something. I know before Luna was spayed she was pooping every where when i let her out once i got home. Now i havent seen her do it once. I caught her peeing 1-2 times but still she’s been good with the whole pooping on the floor outside her playpen.

• SJ
                                                                Participant

UPDATE: the buns are still pooping and peeing everywhere.

What I’ve done so far:

• bought more pee pad rugs and covered the bottom of their entire closure with it
                                                                    •  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GQPQ2Y6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
                                                                  • bought a bigger litter box so both bunnies can fit
                                                                  • I put wood pellets on the bottom of the litter box then care fresh on top with lots of hay
                                                                  • I called my vet asking if there was any “left over” hormones. They responded by saying,” His behavior does not seem hormonal. It could just be that your male bunny is a messier bun”

Truly at a loss.

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR IMPOSSIBLE to be litter trained. I’ve tried EVERYTHING.