Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE I’m struggling

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • UUAUE
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

Just yesterday, around 12:30-1 am, S’mores passed away. She got very sick, and by the time I found out how bad it was, it was already too late. I’ve been in tears constantly, and have struggled to even stay in my room, as that’s where she passed. I still remember her screams, and that she was still alive when i picked her up, but by the time i sat down she wasn’t moving. i kept insisting to my mom and dad that i felt a heart beat, but it turns out it was just my own heart beat that i felt in my fingers. we planted some peonies above where we burried her, as i felt it would be better than just leaving her to decompose there.

The main question I have is about my other bunny, Coco – should I give him away to someone that can possibly take better care of him? I’m so worried about this happening again, and i know i won’t be able to take it if he dies too. but im also worried that it may be too much for him to go somewhere else so soon after this happening. but i also feel as if it may be better for him to go to someone that knows how to raise a bunny better than I could.

I’m just so confused and hurt, i dont know what to do, and i just want what’s best for coco.

• Bunny House
        Participant
        1241 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry you went through that, it has to be traumatic. And those flowers will be beautiful.

As for coco, take a deep breath. Were they a bonded pair? Were they separated? Why would you give him up? If he was a bonded pair, you can spend time with him more, he will need a lot of attention if they were a pair, as he can get depressed and not want to eat so for the next 2 weeks he will need to stay with you and you care for him. Going to a new home can stress him out and if there is no reasonable reason to give him up, keep him. And you may realize you want it to be just you and him or you can bond him with a friend.

I understand the pain is so much, I knew after one of mine died I didn’t want my other 3, but he was so sick for months I was emotionally drained but I’m glad I kept mine. We get animals till they die because we want to care for them and it’s till death. They teach us so many things that humans can’t and that’s why it’s important to have animals and going through a death of one is hard but you wouldn’t be who you are if you didn’t have them. So take a couple of weeks while you and him grieve and get a clear head. It’s all too soon to make any decisions and you may make the decision to give him up but again later, wait a couple of weeks until you are mentally clear. He needs you, now and in the future. It’s very hard to loose a bun, and you will go through deaths with animals but we didn’t sign up for a lifelong pet, we know the day is gonna come, and we always need to be understanding and realize nature is going to do what it needs to and even with medicine, it won’t prevent the inevitable. Remember she is always with you, you may not feel it now but she is and take time to grieve, everyone grieves differently and for different periods of time. You can set up a little memorial of her on a table, sometimes it helps people.

• UUAUE
          Participant
          6 posts Send Private Message

Hey. Thought I’d do a bit of an update. I had intended to do an update earlier, but then the forums went down for about a year and I slowly just forgot about this thread.

I decided to keep Coco, and can’t be more happy that I did. He’s been spoiled rotten, getting plenty of treats and new toys, and spends most of his time in the Cottontail Cottage I got for him a little while after S’mores passed. It still hurts, and I imagine that it always will, but it hurts less now. She was my first bunny, and while I always joke that she hated me, as she had quite a habit of thumping and never liked to be pet, I think she loved me in her own way. Sadly, the peonies never grew, as right after we planted the bulbs we had a cold spell that froze the ground, but we did get some fake memorial flowers and put them there instead. Now, I just try to let Coco know I love him every opportunity I get.

Here’s a photo I took recently of him relaxing at the foot of my bed as I was laying down.

• DanaNM
            8935 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for the update <3 And yes I see your initial post was right around the time the forum went down, so I’m sorry you didn’t get as much support on your post.

That is wonderful to hear that Coco is doing well and that time has healed a bit. <3

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Ellie from The Netherlands
              Participant
              2512 posts Send Private Message

It’s beautiful to see that Coco is so well-cared for! We tend to blame ourselves when a rabbit dies, but the sad truth is that rabbits are incredibly fragile and that they’re masters of hiding illness. Coco proves that you’re a great bunny owner, and I wish you many happy times together!

• Bam
                16877 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for the update!

It is horrible to lose a bun. 💔

I’m so glad you kept Coco and that you have such a great relationship. As Ellie says, it’s proof that you are a great bun owner.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE I’m struggling