Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE I’m so incredibly sad caring for bun

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • borya91
      Participant
      40 posts Send Private Message

My rabbit is having a really hard recovery post her spay, and her wound has now become infected.  she’s got a cone and i’m having to force feed her antibiotics twice a day.  i just finally got her the antibiotics down and i can’t help crying.  i feel so incredibly sad for her and worse i feel like she probably hates me and thinks i’m being so cruel to her.  she is just a sweet and innocent rabbit and i’m so sad to see her going through this experience.  i dont know what to do to help her other than give her the medicine but it is so painful to do so :'(

• Bam
        16872 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry your bun is going through this. She doesn’t hate you though. Many of us here have had to force feed our rabbits, and for some reason, it usually results in a very strong bond between the human and the bun. I have no clue why this is, but I have experienced it myself with my bun Yohio. Maybe rabbits somehow understand we have been helping them, once the ordeal is over.

While the force feeding/medication is going on, it’s no fun fun at all though. Just remember that it’s a good sign when a rabbit fights her meds. Also remember you had her spayed to help her have a long, healthy life. The risk of reproductive organ disease, with uterine cancer being the worst one, is very high in intact does.

Giving her the meds is of course the most important thing of all. Other than that, it’s mostly about keeping her comfortable. Try to spend time near her cage, so she knows she has company. You dont have to interact all the time of course, just be there. Pet her if she likes that, for example on her head and ears. It releases “happy” signal substances like oxytocin in both the pet and the human. Give her nice things to eat, for example fragrant herbs (cilantro, dill, basil, a bit of parsley etc) so she keeps her appetite up.

Many, many good healing (((((vibes))))) for your bun!

• Kiki
          Participant
          205 posts Send Private Message

I am sorry your bun (and you) have had a rough time of it. I agree with everything bam has said, and especially the part about keeping her company. Keep us posted. Sending healing bunny bomp vibes!

• borya91
            Participant

she has taken a major turn for the worse in the night and now has diarrea. she can’t handle having this cone. i dont know what to do   she hasn’t drinken any water since i got her home with the cone yesterday afternoon i dont think she knows how. ill take her back to the vet today. this is just awful

• Kiki
              Participant
              205 posts Send Private Message

Take the cone off? I saw something were some one made a sleeve for their bun using an oversized sock, maybe something like that would work

• Bam

You do have to take her back in if she is in such bad shape. Make sure you get painkillers for her.

Rabbits need time out of the cone every day, with close supervision of course. The vet can give her fluids sub q, that will last a while. Keep her warm now and take her in.
                  It’s very important that she is kept warm, or she could go into circulatory failure. Hand warmers, a warm water bottle or a microwaved sock with rice will work. She mustn’t get too warm though, so keep a close eye.

Many, many vibes for your bun!

• borya91
                  Participant

hey guys, just got back from the vet. I feel a lot better. He mentioned it might not have been diarrhea, rather there are night poops that the rabbit injests and she probably wasn’t able to with the cone. They are keeping her the day for observation.They are going to give her more fluids if she doesn’t drink while out of the cone (she’s out of cone at the vet.)  But I honestly think she’s gonna be ok. It was the diarrhea which scared me most. Her vets are so good, there are 3 docs there and all very well versed with rabbits. I’m gonna clean the house up nice for her while she’s out for the day. It breaks my heart to force give her the medicine because I know it terrifies her, but I was thinking on the drive to the vet, it is better than an infection getting worse. I hope she forgives me. I know she’s in good hands right now.  I think I might have been overly worried.

I didn’t realize that I could take the cone off.  It came off this morning when I was struggling to give her the antibiotics.  And the moment she got away without the cone on she started licking the wound so i was really scared and thought she’s gotta have that cone.  But he’s gonna observe how she’s going at the wound.  It might be she can be without the cone.  WIll look forward to what vet says either way.  My house feels so empty without her right now, it’s never been without her when I’m here, since I brought her home.   Thanks for all the support.  I don’t regret getting her the spay at all.  I get the impression her follow up is unusual and that it’s not usually this difficult.  It’s still worth it in the end and gonna make her a healthier bun I believe.  I’m just really sad she is going through a tough time.

• Bam

Great that it wasn’t true diarrhoea, just sticky poop!

It is hard to have a pet away at the vets, the house does feel so empty. You seem to have really good vets though, hopefully you will worry a bit less now and maybe even get some well-needed rest 🙂

And like I said before, dont worry about her hating you for giving her the meds. She will hate you while it’s going on, but once it’s over, she’ll forgive you.

• Basic User Name changed!
                      Participant
                      13 posts Send Private Message

test from quick reply

test basic user's signature!

• Basic User
                        Participant
                        2 posts Send Private Message

test

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE I’m so incredibly sad caring for bun