Forum

OUR SITE IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS. YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO LOGIN YET.   WE WILL ANNOUNCE WHEN READY. THE SITE MAY BE SLOW, SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT.  YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Home Forums HOUSE RABBIT Q & A I’M GETTING A FLEMMIE!!!! Any tips?

This topic contains 52sd replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Q8bunny 1 year ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • Author

Bunnybuzz
    Participant

I Have the most WONDERFUL NEWS!!! The other day I was looking through Petfinder when I came to three Flemish Giant babies just 22 minutes away! Their only eight weeks and I’m going to meet them this Saturday!

I’m so excited, as I have always wanted a Flemmie! Who doesn’t? I was wondering if there are any Flemmie moms in here that could help me out? Google isn’t working out very well for me when it comes to info on these beautiful guys. The woman has two grey girls and agouti boy, she recommended the gals for me, based on Ivory’s personality. She said they’re very gentle and cuddly.

What should I know? Tips? Bonding tips? Food, area, toys? 

Thanks,

Finn

Asriel and Bombur
    Participant

To be really honest, their personality is a baby personality. They are going to grow and change before you’re even ready to bond, especially girls are known to become territorial and quite hostile around another bunny when hormones kick in. So odds are their sweet demeanors could all change when you throw hormones into the mix. You’re not even remotely ready for bonding yet, so bonding advice is best to wait until you’re ready. Every bunny needs to be spayed/neutered before you can even attempt that.
    I know you have your current bun in the garage, so really make sure you have plenty of room for a Flemmish, especially two. You’re going to want to keep new bun away from Ivory for the first month, like not even in the same area, just so they get adjusted to you and the new situation without the threat of another bunny. Yes, I read Ivory is sweet, but adding a new bun is a new element and you just don’t know how she’s going to react to it. After a month of letting them settle, you can bring new bun into the same space as Ivory, just make sure they are unable to touch at all, as bunnies can fight through the bars.
    As for food, no greens until it’s 12 weeks old then you can start introducing a small amount of one green for a few days and monitor poops, and do this every few days with a new veggie. Fruit and sugary veggies like carrots should wait until new bun is 6 months. It’s a good idea to have the flemmie on alfalfa based pellets, and 1/2 cup a day because it is a larger breed.
    Toys all depend on the bunny. I have one bunny who doesn’t play with anything and I have another who likes willow sticks only. So that’s really a you figure it out as you go thing.

Bladesmith
    Participant

Finn, I don’t have a Flemmie, but I dearly want one. Mind if I live vicariously through you? We require TONS of pictures!! All I know about Flemmies is they’re mellow, and require king size litter boxes, lol.

Bunnybuzz
    Participant

Posted By Asriel and Bombur on 9/26/2018 2:13 PM

To be really honest, their personality is a baby personality. They are going to grow and change before you’re even ready to bond, especially girls are known to become territorial and quite hostile around another bunny when hormones kick in. So odds are their sweet demeanors could all change when you throw hormones into the mix. You’re not even remotely ready for bonding yet, so bonding advice is best to wait until you’re ready. Every bunny needs to be spayed/neutered before you can even attempt that.
    I know you have your current bun in the garage, so really make sure you have plenty of room for a Flemmish, especially two. You’re going to want to keep new bun away from Ivory for the first month, like not even in the same area, just so they get adjusted to you and the new situation without the threat of another bunny. Yes, I read Ivory is sweet, but adding a new bun is a new element and you just don’t know how she’s going to react to it. After a month of letting them settle, you can bring new bun into the same space as Ivory, just make sure they are unable to touch at all, as bunnies can fight through the bars.
    As for food, no greens until it’s 12 weeks old then you can start introducing a small amount of one green for a few days and monitor poops, and do this every few days with a new veggie. Fruit and sugary veggies like carrots should wait until new bun is 6 months. It’s a good idea to have the flemmie on alfalfa based pellets, and 1/2 cup a day because it is a larger breed.
    Toys all depend on the bunny. I have one bunny who doesn’t play with anything and I have another who likes willow sticks only. So that’s really a you figure it out as you go thing.

Oh sorry, I meant she recommended one of the girls to me, I’m just getting one I was thinking one of the girls as she was very closely bonded with her sister before, neither of them being fixed. I don’t have really any space besides the garage…if I space them out a lot will that change anything? Yeah, I know bunnies can COMPLETELY change once another bunny comes into the picture, I’ve witnessed it myself Thank you so much, this will be very helpful

Finn

Bunnybuzz
    Participant

Posted By Bladesmith on 9/26/2018 2:16 PM

Finn, I don’t have a Flemmie, but I dearly want one. Mind if I live vicariously through you? We require TONS of pictures!! All I know about Flemmies is they’re mellow, and require king size litter boxes, lol.

Bladesmith, oh yes, I’ll share so much with you, it’ll be like your there to witness it I know, that’s literally all I found out about Flemmies, the litter boxes need to HUGE, LOL

I always seem to have trouble with pictures, but I’ll work hard and hopefully get some through to you

Finn

LittlePuffyTail

I had a half flemmie. Get ready for mega sized poops and lots of snuggles.

Bladesmith
    Participant

Posted By LittlePuffyTail on 9/27/2018 7:39 AM

I think the mega sized snuggles will more than offset the mega poops.   I hate the idea of intentional breeding, there’s too many bins looking for homes as it is, but I think an American Chin/Flemmie cross would be the ultimate snuggle bun.

Q8bunny
    Participant

*swoon* Can’t wait for the pics!

Bunnybuzz
    Participant

Posted By Q8bunny on 9/27/2018 9:39 AM

I’ll try my best For some reason for me, never lets upload pictures. No matter what the size

Bunnybuzz
    Participant

I’m going to have to agree with Bladesmith, snuggles outdo it all 

Bunnybuzz
    Participant

Posted By Bladesmith on 9/27/2018 8:12 AM

I think the mega sized snuggles will more than offset the mega poops.   I hate the idea of intentional breeding, there’s too many bins looking for homes as it is, but I think an American Chin/Flemmie cross would be the ultimate snuggle bun.

I’m going to have to agree with you there about those snuggles. Nothing like having a snuggle bun whenever you need one

Bunnybuzz
    Participant

Here are my name ideas, let me know which one you vote for and if you have any more;

Girls:

Alana
    Everest, Ev or Evy for short
    Hazel, Hazy for short
    Tinsley pronounced Tin-Slee
    Hadley
    Greycie, Grey-Cie since their grey

Boys:

Benjamin Button
    Pipit
    Milo
    Aspen, unisex
    Donovan, it means little brown one since the bun is brown though it suited
    Renny, means small but mighty, as you guys may know, I love names with meanings lol

LittlePuffyTail

I love Everest for a bunny. My daughter is named Everly and we use Evi as her nickname. Greycie is nice too.

I like Aspen too for either boy or girl. Renny is cute too.

Q8bunny
    Participant

Posted By Bunnybuzz on 9/27/2018 9:45 AM

Posted By Q8bunny on 9/27/2018 9:39 AM

I’ll try my best For some reason for me, never lets upload pictures. No matter what the size

No worries. I can’t get BB to load most days, so we’ll be in good company. LOL

I, too, like Everest. And Milo. I guess it’ll depend on whether your bun’s vibe will be more regal and dignified, or more goofy and sweet.

Bladesmith
    Participant

If it’s a boy, Gigantor. A girl, Gypsy Danger. *snickers*

Bunnybuzz
    Participant

Posted By LittlePuffyTail on 9/27/2018 11:39 AM

I love Everest for a bunny. My daughter is named Everly and we use Evi as her nickname. Greycie is nice too.

I like Aspen too for either boy or girl. Renny is cute too.

Yesssss, Everest I love as well. OOOOOOOOOOOOooooo Everly is such a cute name I like Renny as well, one of my top favorites for boys.

Thank you so much

Bunnybuzz
    Participant

Q8Bunny, Okay good? I’ll keep you alllll updated on them though.

Yes, I have always said, I need to meet the bun before I pick the name. Milo, so cute. I’m kind of hoping for more goofy and sweet, as Ivory got enough sass for both of them☺

Bunnybuzz
    Participant

Posted By Bladesmith on 9/28/2018 7:50 AM

If it’s a boy, Gigantor. A girl, Gypsy Danger. *snickers*

HAHAHAHAHAHAH, I slightly hoping that they don’t have the personalities to fit these names as Ivory needs somebody who will accept her place as queen Gigantor though….tempting

LittlePuffyTail

How about “The Great Humongous”? (any classic Simpsons fans here?

Q8bunny
    Participant

Posted By LittlePuffyTail on 9/30/2018 5:33 PM
    How about “The Great Humongous”? (any classic Simpsons fans here?

Poor bunneh! But ROTFL! I will stop them, I am strong.

Bunnybuzz
    Participant

Yessssss simpsonnnsss

Bunnybuzz
    Participant

I met the buns Saturday! I got some good vids and pics, since they won’t upload here I am going to upload them to YouTube so ya’ll can see them=D

Since the one we picked was girl these are the names we decided would suit her, Everest or Tinsley (pronounced Tin-slee) FINAL VOTE EVERYBODY!!

Bunnybuzz
    Participant

Q8bunny
    Participant

You know my choice

Gordo and Janice
    Participant

Everest…fo shizzle!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.