Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A If you could suggest one thing to a new bunny owner…

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • Author
    • msarro
      Participant
      119 posts Send Private Message

…what would it be?

I’m still pretty new, having just gotten my first bunny this past weekend. My girlfriend and I already adore her, and she makes us laugh constantly with her antics. So, what golden tidbit of advice would you feel is most important for a new bunny owner?

• osprey
        Participant
        2065 posts Send Private Message

I’d say the most important thing is to read the latest information on the internet about house rabbit care.  For general care, sites like rabbit.org and our own binkybunny.com have great information about diet, housing, bunnyproofing, litter training, etc.  I would also strongly recommend reading Dana Krepels’ articles about bunny health, available here http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/rabbithealth.html, particularly this article about gastrointestinal stasis http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html.  Another source of really good information, particularly about the different choices for hay, is the San Diego HRS http://www.sandiegorabbits.org/

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

I would say find a rabbit experienced vet and start establishing a relationship and set up an appointment for an exam.

• LittlePuffyTail
            18092 posts Send Private Message

Here’s some advice I personally feel is very important:

1. Find a bunny savy vet right now. You want to have a vet to call if your bunny gets sick. Search around as many vets say they take bunnies but actually know very little about them as they are very different from cats and dogs. You don’t want to get stuck with a sick bunny and a dishonest vet.

2. Learn as much as you can. When I got my first rabbit I had no idea how complex they were. BinkyBunny is a great place to start. A great book is Rabbits for Dummies. I learned a ton of stuff I was doing wrong from this book.

3. When it comes to bunny health, it’s better safe than sorry. Rabbits are much more fragile than cats and dogs and can go downhill extremely quick after becoming ill. Rabbits who are in a lot of pain sometimes give up and let themselves die. I’ve had sick rabbits die in mere hours when I had no vet available.

Hope I was helpful! Welcome to Binky Bunny by the way and in exchange for this advice I want to see some pics of your bunny!!!

• msarro
              Participant

Posted By LittlePuffyTail on 08/13/2008 9:54 AM
                Here’s some advice I personally feel is very important:

1. Find a bunny savy vet right now. You want to have a vet to call if your bunny gets sick. Search around as many vets say they take bunnies but actually know very little about them as they are very different from cats and dogs. You don’t want to get stuck with a sick bunny and a dishonest vet.

2. Learn as much as you can. When I got my first rabbit I had no idea how complex they were. BinkyBunny is a great place to start. A great book is Rabbits for Dummies. I learned a ton of stuff I was doing wrong from this book.

3. When it comes to bunny health, it’s better safe than sorry. Rabbits are much more fragile than cats and dogs and can go downhill extremely quick after becoming ill. Rabbits who are in a lot of pain sometimes give up and let themselves die. I’ve had sick rabbits die in mere hours when I had no vet available.

Hope I was helpful! Welcome to Binky Bunny by the way and in exchange for this advice I want to see some pics of your bunny!!!

Haha, you were extremely helpful I have a bunch of pictures on my digital camera from last night’s play session. One of my friends came over to meet the bunny (up until then Layla had only met my girlfriend and I), so we sat around a cardboard box and let her do what she wanted. I’m trying to get her nice and socialized by getting a good bit of people traffic. So, I’ll gladly pay you back in a few hours when I’m out of work!

• Balefulregards
                Participant
                715 posts Send Private Message

Being a somewhat new bunny convert myself ( 4 months now!), I would also add – Patience.

Having only had cats and dogs previously, I found that Coco is very different in her needs for social time as well as what it means for me (human)to be loved by a rabbit. She has licked/groomed me a very few times and rarely binkies – but I know she is happy. Sometimes her simply laying near me – where we can be in eye contact tells me that I am her best beloved.

And all greens are not created alike in the eyes of a rabbit. Coco DEFINITELY has her favorites and less preferred greens. I assumed that all greens were the same to a bunny. Same with Hay – it is not all created alike.

Finally, wean her to the good food right away. Coco was eating the alfalfa based pellets for god knows how long (prior to adoption) and our switch to Oxbow Timothy based is S-L-O-W.

And welcome to the Converts to Bunnies club..

• dmh426
                  Participant
                  433 posts Send Private Message

Buy the book Rabbits for Dummies. It’s my bible. It’s like what to expect when you’re expecting for bunny parents. My copy is highlighted, dogeared, marked, bookmarked and well read. LOVE IT!

• wendyzski
                    Participant
                    1312 posts Send Private Message

go to the “links” section and go to The Language of Lagomorphs site.

Bunny body language isn’t always intuitive, and this will help you figure out what your bun is trying to tell you, and hoe to “talk” back.  This can avoid a LOT of behavior and health problems.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                      Participant
                      12067 posts Send Private Message

My golden advice (hopefully) is alot of what’s said already.

Find a good vet now, and set up appts for an exam and spay/neuter. Also find out where your closest 24 hour vet practice is and have the number for both on hand.

Never underestimate the power of sitting on the floor!! They’ll *have* to come over and visit with you However not so fun if your trying to do sit ups or yoga…being used as a jungle gym LOL

Eating and Pooping-> If this ever stops happening even for a few hours-go to the vet. If they are doing something strange but aren’t refusing food and still leaving bunny raisins around, then they are usually quite fine.

Do your ‘monthly maintenance’ as outlined on this site (checking the body over, clipping nails, cleaning anal glands, checking the hocks) that way you’ll catch anything soon!!

AND enjoy being covered in fur all the time. It means your happy!

• kralspace
                        Participant
                        2663 posts Send Private Message

I have to second Wendy, until you learn to read bunny body language you have no idea just how many times you really do PO your bunny!

• skunklionshow
                          Participant
                          1257 posts Send Private Message

I DITTO kralspace!  One thing I needed to learn was, as someone else said, PATIENCE.  You get so happy having your first bun that you want them to run, binky, and jump on you!  It can be VERY depressing to have an aggressive bunny (i.e. my Jessica).  I had to learn to give her her space and her time.  I so wanted to bond w/ her, that I wasn’t always respecting her boundaries.  That’s is something I think most bunny converts need to learn.  Here’s what I saw in a vet’s office once:

Dogs always look for opportunities to be praised.  Cats expect to be praised 24/7…i.e. like in a temple!

I’ve found that bunnies really need their boundaries and are most happy if you respect those boundaries.  I also agree w/ the vet thing.  I say it’s best to find a vet b/f you need a vet.  This is one thing most people get wrong, that’s when their going crazy to get to a vet asap in an emergency situation.

• RabbitPam
                            11002 posts Send Private Message

My first book, before Rabbits for Dummies, was the House Rabbit Handbook. I love that book!

And I’d add – daily water is crucial. Moderate temps (bunnies don’t like summer heat) and they are creatures of habit. Your life over the years will go well if you get comfortable routines, ie. feeding, sleeping, playing, that work for both of you and don’t vary it much when other things change. I mean, I moved a lot in the course of 8 years, but as long as his house and schedule were in sync, he adjusted to changes very well.

Oh, yes. If she falls over flat – she’s not dead. It’s a flop. She’s totally pooped, and totally relaxed. It’s a good thing, like binkies.

• Veronica Vigilant
                              Participant
                              186 posts Send Private Message

Oh good point Rabbitpam! I spent weeks harassing my first bunny, poking her in the stomach, thinking she was dead when she was really flopped over relaxing!!!! It can be really scary at first if you don’t realize that what you actually have is a totally contented, happy rabbit!

• RabbitPam
                                11002 posts Send Private Message

I thought of it because I was alone when I saw him flop the first time – he was a baby. I got scared and called my vet. They put the techie who was “the bunny expert” on the phone and I described what happened. She answered, “I think he’s just being cute.” And he was.

• MarkBun
                                  Participant
                                  2842 posts Send Private Message

My pearl of wisdom:

Rabbits do not understand negative reinforcement. If you discipline your bunny physically not only will it not stop what it is doing but I will wait until the time is right and exact revenge for the slight against it.

• Scarlet_Rose
                                    Participant
                                    4293 posts Send Private Message

Other than everything that has been mentioned here, I would say buy a good vacuum cleaner or better yet, a shop vac and either a push-type floor sweeper or a dust buster to clean up stray poo and hay. Roombas I hear work well too but are a bit on the pricey side. If you have allergies, invest in an air purifier and definately the most important thing: Have a sense of humor and easygoing attitude. Rabbits are not your typical “pet” and require a whole other mode of understanding and cannot verbalize like most pets and hide when they are sick.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                      Participant

ROTFL

This just proves how complicated and AWESOME bunnies are

ONE peice of advice?? LOL no way!! ^^ See the ‘book’ of good advice above! All fantastic advice BTW

Just so funny that there is so much XD

• BinkyBunny
                                        8776 posts Send Private Message

WELCOME! And what a great way to start off. IF you have BABY/YOUNG bunny, then here are my words of wisdom to add:

1. Know and expect that your bunny is going to get into trouble, especially around 3 months of age. If you are prepared, you won’t be shocked and disappointed when around 3 months, your bunny may seem like she’s gone crazy. She’s not going crazy, she is getting a flood of hormones as she reaches sexual maturity. This is when most people give their bunnies up because they don’t realize there is a solution. She may get messier with her litterbox habits EVEN if she was sort of trained before, she could get a more destructive, and she could get very territorial with her stuff – even growling or lunging.

HOWEVER, don’t despair, IF that happens, spaying helps to decrease that. Also the cancer of reproductive organs is very rate is high in unspayed rabbits. Another reason to spay.

2. (this next thing goes for any new incoming bunny) Don’t allow too much freedom too fast or you’ll have a poop bombed place in no time. Let her feel comfortable, safe and happy in a great territory she can call her own. (make sure she has a soft place to hang out, a litterbox, toys, and a hidey house.   But you don’t want to keep her shut away without exercise.   Xpens are great because you can add freedom for exercise while limiting space during “settling in” and littertraining. If you allow your bunny to feel that every place is her territory, then she’ll claim it such – with poops. But if you give her her space, and then let her understand that the rest of the house is “shared” space, then that will help with littertraining.

Keep us updated and show us piccies!

• BinkyBunny

OH I forgot….another tidbit….

Become a poopologist!

A bunny’s poop is the best way to tell the health of a bunny. Rabbits, being prey animals, will hide their illness so well, that you may not discover how sick they are until it’s almost too late. So keep track of poop!

Large round dry poops are good. (good high fiber diet with access to hay 24/7)

Tiny, very very dark, and/or misshapen poops, not so good. (can be a sign of the system slowing down which could get serious, or poor fiber diet.)

Mushy, stinky squishy poops, also not so good (could mean a parasite, illness or a diet that is too rich)

No poops in 12 hours is a signal that something is wrong, and if it goes on much longer, it will get serious quickly (especially if a bunny is not eating.)

There is one icky sticky bunch of poops (like grapes stuck together) that a bunny will actually consume. These are cecals and they are normal. Sometimes you never see them, sometimes you do, but for the most part they should always consume them and not leave any behind. If they do leave big gobs, then there’s something wrong – usually diet related. (too rich)

Okay, so nuff poop talk. Binky on!

• BinkyBunny

uh, yeah, right so as you can tell I followed the “one” piece of advice thing…. This “one” and this “one” and this “one”….LOL

• msarro
                                              Participant

As promised, here is our little Layla:

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                18092 posts Send Private Message

Thanx for the pics!!! What a cutie!!! She looks almost exactly like a bunny I used to have named Vanilla Bean who had floppy ears. She’s so gorgeous, you must be very proud

• msarro
                                                  Participant

My girlfriend and I adore her

She is waiting for her to get a little older and we can leash train her to go outside.

You wouldn’t happen to know what breed she is or appears to be, would you? I don’t know very much about rabbit breeds compared to rat breeds. I just know she is a sweetheart!

• jerseygirl
                                                    22345 posts Send Private Message

What a gorgeous colour! I’m thinking maybe she’s a Palomino? But these can grow to 9 lbs and it’s hard believe looking at that little sweetie.

If you’re open to advice, may I suggest you only put litter down in a litter box. From the pic it looks like you use a paper litter right? If you cover the whole cage floor, bun will just go where ever. If she’s used to peeing on it, start to contain it to a box and she may start only peeing in there if you’re lucky. You can put an old towel down in the cage in case she doesn’t take to the box straight away.

• BinkyBunny

OH! Beautiful.  What a brilliant red coat. I wonder if it is a Thrianta (relatively new breed)   If  you google that breed, you will  come up  with many pics that look  very  similar!

• jerseygirl
                                                        22345 posts Send Private Message

BB, I came across Thrianta breed while looking at pics to identify Layla here! I posted about it in the lounge. Wonder if Thriantas grow darker as they grow older???

• msarro
                                                          Participant

The Palominos have the same body shape as Layla, whereas the Thrianta looks like its slightly wider, and the fur looks a little longer. Both are have similar builds, and the same color fur… who knows? Plus I think she is fairly young, so her body will probably change. I guess I’ll have to wait and see

When we got her the paperwork just said, ‘rabbit – assorted.’

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                            Participant

LOL people are so helpful with rabbit breeds!

I’ve seen so many bunnies labeled just “bunny rabbit’ at our HS and I tell them what they are (clearly a dutch, a hotot, a lionhead etc.) and they don’t change it. They had a bunny at another rescue, labelled as a dutch and it was a hotot!! Come on, I’m not even a expert but duh!!!

Your bun is gorgeous btw!! I’m glad your usuing carefresh-it’s great! I wish the colored packages of it weren’t like ten dollars more, or I’d have pink!

• kralspace
                                                              Participant
                                                              2663 posts Send Private Message

I know, KK, I almost can’t stand it when I see one listed with no information, especially “NO Name”, that is so sad, everyone deserves a name.

• MarkBun
                                                                Participant
                                                                2842 posts Send Private Message

For the record, some people advise that you never take your bun outdoors due to any host of possible complications from catching something off the ground to fleas to being carried away by a hawk. Someone here had a bun in an x-pen that was adjacent to the back door and it only took them going inside for 15 seconds before a hawk tried to get away with him.

Luckily, he was a toughie and even with the hawk’s claws in his fur, he dragged the bird indoors. no injury other than losing a couple of nails getting back inside.

But many people take their buns for walks so it is always up to the owner. My Maryann hates the outdoors.

• JamieM
                                                                  Participant
                                                                  321 posts Send Private Message

Layla’s a cutie!  And a great name, if I do say so myself (my bun’s name is Layla too! )

• Cassi&Charlie
                                                                    Participant
                                                                    1260 posts Send Private Message

Everyone has a Layla!

Viewing 31 reply threads
                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A If you could suggest one thing to a new bunny owner…