Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Ideas needed for new bunny

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • katieh
      Participant
      20 posts Send Private Message

Hi, my name is Katie. I got a new bunny yesterday and it’s been a long time since my last one. He passed in 1995. So, after deciding a bunny was the pet we wanted we picked up Pepper at the animal shelter yesterday. She is a Holland Lop and about 1 year old, we think. They were vague at the shelter as she was a stray found on the street. She was spayed before we adopted her.

I am so happy we found this site. It is absolutely wonderful!!! I have been reading about everything I should be doing that I hadn’t done in the past or has changed in the last decade.

My question is about socializing her. She seems very timid and shy. I have two boys 4 and 9. The nine year old has taken the most interest in her and wants to do everything for her which is nice. I hope he continues to help. He is also a little over eager and I’m having to come down hard with the “bunny rules”. We have been leaving her cage open in the boys bedroom, which is where it is. She has come out ocassionally but will not come up to us and let us pet her. I tried to brush her a little while ago and I think it terrified her. I am looking for suggestions about how to make her more comfortable. I know it’s only been 24 hours but I’d really like to do right by her. I’m sure she will feel more comfortable after the boys go to school tomorrow, but they are home most of the day after school and on weekends. That is partially why I thought a bunny would be good becasue I know that they like to be around people, on their terms, but social anyway. Any advice or wisdom you can share about this would be appreciated. Thanks so much and I look forward to getting to know everyone and their bunnies.

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

Hi sfkt! Welcome to Binky Bunny!  What a wonderful addition you’ve made to your family – an adorable lop-eared rabbit.  That’s wonderful you’re reading more about rabbit care and are willing to go through the extra effort to provide a wonderful env.ironment for a house rabbit.

Socializing can be challenging at times, everyone involved will need to be very patient and I really think it is a good idea that you’ve laid out bunny rules, it ensures that everyone is safe and prevents accidents from happening.  Spending time down on bunny-level i.e. the floor reading a book is a great way to get your new addition used to humans.  You will find that a rabbits natural curiosity will get them to come closer and closer, perhaps a nudge at first then nosing and reward them with a treat like a bit of fruit, papaya tablet or mint leaf (you’re trying to make human interaction a positive thing).  Eventually you can reward with a pet rather than food and it helps to build a bond between you and the rabbit. As for your sons, it will likely take a bit more work to learn to let the rabbit come to you to be pet and they don’t really like to be picked up.  Lous noises coming from games or general playing may scare the rabbit as well.  Be extra careful with not reaching into the cage so your rabbit has its own “safe” place away from humans.  This is going to be extra important so be sure that is a good base you lay as far as rules go.  If not, many behavioral issues like peeing and pooing outside the litterbox and all over the cage and aggression can result and diminishes trust between the rabbit and you and it might be necessary to move the cage to another room.

Something to watch out for since your addition is from a shelter (thank you for adopting!) is the unknown past and a vet check-up would be a great way to ensure that no medical issues need immediate attention. Also be a little extra careful just in case you may have a defensive rabbit.  If the rabbit tries to bat at you and growl, gently press down on the head with your hand to show dominance and calm them down. 

Anyway, I don’t want to overwhelm you and absolutely ask away!

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

welcome here!  that’s great you adopted and it’s a big help that she is already spayed.  one less thing you need to worry about!

i know it’s easy to become anxious and want your bunny to be social right away, but it will take time to get her used to you and everyone.

is there a reason why she is being kept in the boy’s bedroom?  is that the only space available?  the reason why i ask is, as you know, rabbits are very social, and like to be around the family… even when they’re not interacting, they still like to be in the same space.  the more the rabbit sees you and hears you, the more she’ll realize you guys are not a threat.  i’d recommend (if possible) moving her to a central location where everyone can enjoy her, unless you’ll be spending a lot of time (hours each day) in the boy’s room.  also, many rabbits are most active in the late evening hours (between approximately 9pm and midnight), so that is my favorite time of day.  i can interact with my rabbit Meadow once my son is in bed and it’s quiet.  that’s when we do our best one-on-one bonding.  but that would be diffcult to do if she was kept in the boy’s room…  she would be wanting to play just as they were going to sleep.

whichever room she’s in needs to be bunny-proofed and picked up at all times, which is another concern b/c as the mom of a four year old boy myself, i know they love to leave little pieces of things everywhere.

Scarlet hit the nail on the head… the best thing you can do is ignore her while she’s having out time.  you didn’t say if you’re a stay-at-home mom or not, but assuming you are, you may want to devote some time each day (when the house is quiet and the kids are otherwise occupied) to letting the bunny explore you.  once she trusts you, you can then work on the kids being with her.

• JK
            Participant
            2223 posts Send Private Message

Hi and welcome! I actually agree with Beka.  The kids room may not be the best option.  Maybe they are too loud for the bun? I know young boys (I had 2) can be loud and rambunctious! My rabbit, Edson is in my office right across from the kitchen.  We are all in here all the time as the computer is there and Edson can see us in the kitchen too.  Be patient though.  It can take some time for a rabbit to be comfortable in his/her surroundings.  I have a large cage and an xpen attached to it so Edson gets a lot of romping time.  And the xpen door is always left open now so he can come and go as he pleases.  He loves being able to retreat to his cage or xpen.  It’s HIS domain and they need a place to feel quiet and safe. BUT at first he would NOT come out of the xpen no matter what.  It took him almost 3 months. You’ve only had your 24 hours!  I would reconsider where he is though.  Good luck and keep us posted.

• katieh
              Participant
              20 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! and thanks for the suggestions also.

Yes, I know the boys room isn’t the perfect spot, but to be honest there isn’t a good spot in our house. I am in a small 1000sq. foot , 4 room house. The only possibilities are the kitchen, living room or the boys room. They actually play in and trash our living room more. The way our house is set up there isn’t a place you can go that is not visable or within ear shot of another. So I’m sure she can see and hear us when we aren’t in there, but it is also a bit removed to give her space right now. It’s also pretty bunny proof as long as they keep their clothes off the floor and this is good motivation. I will rethink it though, as I have been. The point about her wanting to play when they go to sleep is a good one. My 9 year old has trouble falling asleep already and last night it took him 90 minutes. Everytime I passed his room he was next to the cage. I thought he was going to fall asleep there!

I am a stay at home mom, mostly. I do think I’ll be able to find time to be alone with her each day and let her explore while the kids are at school. I thought about that before we got her. Next year I am going back to graduate school, but I’ll be in school in the evenings when everyone else is home. I’ll be home studying during the day so I can be with her.

So, for now I’ll keep my eyes open for a better spot and be patient with her. When she does come out she has the run of the boys room which is small but has good space for her. My biggest worry now is that because she’s afraid to come out she won’t get enough exercise. Hopefully while the kids are at school she’ll be more comfortable and come out to explore.

• Scarlet_Rose
                Participant
                4293 posts Send Private Message

Katie I love the signature! LOL Oh you poor thing! Well it sounds like you have a great game plan, and it will take a bit for her to venture out more since everything is new to her and it takes a little time to settle-in.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Ideas needed for new bunny