Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Ideas for cage off the floor?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Paige01
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

I took in a bunny recently and ordered an x pen for her, however my dog is way too interested in her and has been running around the cage (no, there is no way to separate them in different rooms all the time). I plan on building a 4 foot by 6 foot c&c cage but it would need to be off the floor and on a table. The only issue is getting into the cage to get the bunny out and to clean it. If I build it 2 panels high with a lid, the top of the cage will be around 58 inches off the ground which is only a few inches shorter than me, meaning I wouldn’t be able to easily get into it from the top unless I had a step stool, which is doable but I would like to explore other possible options. Does anyone have a cage that is built on top of a table or just have ideas on how to make it easier to get into? TIA!

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

How do you plan to allow your bun out to exercise if your dog cannot be kept separate?

To address your question though, I’ve always built C&C cages to be cleaned form the side, by putting in doors on the sides. I imagine if you did it that way it would be possible to clean without too much issue, as you could add doors where ever you needed them.

I wonder if you could get a set of pet stairs to let bun come out and off the table for exercise?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Paige01
            Participant
            2 posts Send Private Message

I can separate them at times during the day, it’s more so at night where I would be unable to keep my dog out of my room.

and I did see some cages with large doors that opened on the front that I was planning on copying, but not sure how the doors would lock while I’m not home. What do you use? Someone else suggested a spring latch.

• DanaNM
            8930 posts Send Private Message

Ah, gotcha!

I use these types of latches:

They often include similar ones when you buy an x-pen, and they have them at hardware stores ( I think they are called brass snaps).

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Azerane
              4688 posts Send Private Message

Either use a front/ side door as suggested, secure with those dog leash style clips, or use a top corner door. My cage has two levels, the top level door is a door that opens across the top corner. So a row of 1×3 grids lifts at the front, and then the adjoining row of 1×3 grids lifts from the top, so you end up with a corner opening which is easy to lean into. I hope that makes sense 🙂

• Cinnimon&Ollie
                Participant
                300 posts Send Private Message

Maybe you could put it on a table? I know that some people with guinea pigs put their c&c cages on a table. You might need two tables though. If you find a adjustable table you could adjusted when your dog is in their so it is higher and when your dog isn’t then you could put it more at your level.

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Ideas for cage off the floor?