Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A I want another one…

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • luinge
      Participant
      19 posts Send Private Message

Hey everyone,

About 2 weeks ago our lil Netherland Dwarf rabbit had to be put down. He was about 4 or 5. It was very hard for me, I had never put down an animal. I know it was for the best. Our cat seemed to miss Bunny, he would sit by his cage and meow. Last weekend we got rid of his cage (we made it a few years ago, and was planning to build him a new one for Christmas). At that time husband and I talked about waiting to get any other animals til we moved (Aug 2008).

The other day I saw a book with rabbits on it and had an overwhelming feelings of wanting to get another rabbit. Then a few days later stopped by to say hi to my aunt (works in a pet store). And again the bunny feelings came back. (I would adopt a rabbit rather than buy him from store)

Im just not sure what to do. I feel bad that I want another one, I don’t want to seem like Im replacing Bunnny, I could never do that. Is it too soon, am I being insensitive? Is this normal??
        Advice??

Thanks everyone!

• bigsis7
        Participant
        732 posts Send Private Message

No you are not insensitive. It might be to soon it might not. Some times the best healer is another pet. I lost a baby rat a day after my birthday. I only had her 5 days and she was only about 4 weeks old. When she died she took part of my heart with her. It was very hard to lose her. I ended up getting two new rats 2 weeks later and they helped me a lot. I say go ahead and get another one. If you truly feel it is time go ahead. Good lucl

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

do you have a rescue nearby where you could volunteer with the rabbits?  if so… you can still have interaction with buns while waiting for a better time.  i’m thinking it would be a bit stressful (both for you and a bunny) to have to move, esp. so soon after introducing him or her to your home.  August is really not that far off either.  to answer your other question… i wouldn’t feel bad that you’re trying to replace your rabbit, but rather that you’re trying to provide another lucky bun with the same love and attention you gave your first rabbit.

• Honey&PeepersMom
            Participant
            30 posts Send Private Message

We lost a bunny a few years ago (he died after eating an ivy leaf) and we couldn’t decide what to do about getting another bunny either. My daughter really wanted another one and kept asking so I finally said ok. Her Little Bob came into our lives almost three years ago and I have never regretted it. He didn’t replace Squishy, but it helped heal my daughter’s heart. I am so glad I let her get him. Whatever you decide to do is of course up to you. But in my experience, a new bunny was a great idea and added more love to our home.

• BinkyBunny
              8776 posts Send Private Message

Welcome Liunge. I am so sorry for your loss. I think what is right for you is what is right for you. Meaning each person is different, and it is okay to want another bunny and invite another one into your life. For someone else they may need more time. Neither decision is wrong. I know it may make you feel a tinge of guilt, but especially if you adopt, there is a bunny in need of a loving caring companion. What better way to honor your first bunny, than by saving another.

One thing though…I am not sure what was wrong with your bunny, but if it had anything to do with e.cuniculi, you need to make sure to sterilize the place as spores(which can infect another bunny) can live in your home for one and some say even two years. If that is the case, that would be another reason to wait until after you move to a new place.

How far are you moving?

• luinge
                Participant
                19 posts Send Private Message

Hey everyone, thanks for the support. We will be moving within the community we are living in now. We would be starting from stratch for the new rabbit. Our Bunny had severe liver and kidney failure. If I decide to adopt another rabbit Im going to take my time, and find the right fit for our family.

Thanks again

• babybunsmum
                  Participant
                  3896 posts Send Private Message

i’m so sorry for your loss.  i think that you’re considering what to do is a sign that you’re trying to tune into why you want another rabbit.  good for you for writing about it and taking your time to find the right fit.  obviously it would be fabulous to give a great home to another deserving bunny, but i think the big question is… do you want to find another one just like your Bunny that you just lost?  this, i think,  is what is really meant when people talk about it being ‘too soon’ to get another pet.  otherwise, if you really just want to love & care for another pet, i think it’s very healthy to do so & keep moving forward.  to get to know a new little personality and make any new adjustments that are needed to incorporate them into your life would be a nice new adventure and doesn’t have to take away from your loss in any way.  good luck with your decision. 

• BinkyBunny
                    8776 posts Send Private Message

great advice babybunsmum!

• MooBunnay
                      Participant
                      3087 posts Send Private Message

Hello Luinge – I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. I do not think you need to be concerned that you are being insensitive and “replacing” Bunny, I’m sure that Bunny is doing happy binky dances up in heaven, and would be pleased for you to also be happy with a new companion when you are ready.

I think that the advice Beka gave about going to volunteer at a rescue is a great idea. It will give you the opportunity to be around rabbits and helping them – and I’m sure that you will know when you meet the rabbit that is “meant” to be yours

• xnovalentine
                        Participant
                        309 posts Send Private Message

Other people have already said it, but i have to agree.

My dog, Sebastian, was born in my bed (i was in it – unaware of what happened until the next morning LOL) when I was 7 years old. I had him 14 years and he died in my arms in July. He was my best friend in the world, and he was the only family I ever had. I lost everything when I lost him this year.

Everyone knew how tough this was on me, and I kept having this urge to have another pet. No one thought I’d ever get another pet, Sebastian and I were 2 peas in a pod. There was no me without him. I took him to school, work, everywhere with me. We were a package deal — thats what I told my boyfriend anyway LOL. I kept telling myself I could NEVER replace Sebastian, and that no pet would ever fill any gaps in my heart.

I have this thing about me, I’m completely impulsive. I will do things that are a big effect on my life out of no where, and thats sort of what happened when I got lullablle.

I got Lullabelle 3 months after Sebastian died, I felt like it was too soon to do this and felt like I was just trying to fill some void. But i was thinking to myself the other day that i did not do it to fill a void or anything, I did it to help ease the pain. I mean, I don’t know how I can possibly explain how much i loved my dog, and i felt like my world fell down. I went into a bad depression, and I’m sort of glad I’ve got this impulsive side so i wouldnt of impulsively gotten lullabelle.

Having Lullabelle made me feel happy, and it distracted me from crying all the time and thinking about Sebastian. I still cry, sometimes i hold lulla and cry. But then she does something silly and makes me smile. And this is why I got another pet so soon, because I needed a reason to smile again. I could have waited, but truthfully the pain of losing Sebastian will never ease or go away.

I’ve got Sebastian’s pictures hanging everywhere, and I tell Lullabelle how much her big brother would have loved her, beacause its true. He loved to play wtih bunnies. He brought a couple home (no he didint ever kill or hurt them!!! He just drug them against their wills and helped them dig their holes LOL). So when you think that you’re trying to replace your pet, everyone already knows deep down that they cannot, and sometimes another one just helps with the pain that losing someone you love causes. Like i said, I needed a smile, and thats what lulla’s purpose is.

An Ironinc thing — When I got lullabelle she was the last bunny, and she is the same colors has sebastian, white and grey. I didin’t really pre-plan her, I didin’t pre-pick her. I thought that was strange because I didint realize it until a couple weeks later. She also reminds me of sebastian in some of the things she does, like how she loves to eat my hair things and ignores most of her toys, and demands one end of the couch. Just subtle things that remind me of sebsatian that makes me smile. So don’t feel guilty, I think it was a smart choice. You won’t regret it.

• Beka27
                          Participant
                          16016 posts Send Private Message

are you trying to make me cry xnovalentine?

that’s a really sweet story.  i have a dog who lives with my parents (long story… when i moved out i couldn’t bring him… but i see him a couple times a week)  he’s almost 9 years old.  when i even think that he may only have a few years left i start to cry.  i’ll be besides myself when he goes (i can’t even type that without getting worked up…)

• JK
                            Participant
                            2223 posts Send Private Message

You did make me cry xnovalentine!  Same thing happened to us when our first dog died.  We were devastated, the kids were devastated, my husband was the worst because he had to hold her in our house while the vet put her down.  We cried buckets.  Still do when I look back at that "scene".  BUT the house was too quiet and even though I swore I would never get another animal two weeks later we had a puppy.  So luinge, you are totally normal in your feelings and certainly not disrespecting your bunny in any way by wanting another! You never lose the memories but it sure can help with the pain to get another pet, at least it did for us. When some little bunny who desperately needs a home looks up at you and connects with you on some level, you’ll KNOW!

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A I want another one…