Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE I think my bun is sick

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
    • (dig)x(me)x(now)
      Participant
      2517 posts Send Private Message

I’m pretty sure little Frankie is sick.

He won’t accept any food – not even treats. Usually he’ll at least accept treats even if he doesn’t seem to be feeling well. He won’t drink either.

He just wants to hide. He’s pretty much zoning out.

I tried massaging his belly in case it’s pressure or backup, and it gurgled a little bit, but then he just ran off and hid somewhere else.

The last time I saw him eat was maybe 6 to 8 hours ago. I fed him fresh parsley from my herb garden. I dont use any chemicals or anything. There has been wildfires, so there’s been ash falling, but I washed it off very well just in case anything got on it. I really hope that’s not what made him sick

I offered him dinner (fresh greens) about 4 hours ago and he has no interest.

I’m really scared and I’m going to stay up until I see him eat something.

Any suggestions?

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
        Participant

I haven’t noticed if he’s pooped much. 3 hours ago or so I noticed he had some poops that were kind of strung together. I hope he didn’t get into something when I wasn’t looking! He also peed a teeny bit on the carpet though, which is very unusual.

• Floppy
          Participant
          490 posts Send Private Message

aww gosh I don’t know what to tell you besides taking him to the vet asap.
            not eating and drinking is pretty nerve wrecking…sorry about the fires, it looks
            crazy out there…sigh* goodluck, keep us up to date!

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
            Participant

I’m staying up by his side. I’m so tired though. I want to wait a little longer before I decide to take him to a vet. If he doesn’t improve tonight, I’ll take him to an emergency. I wish I could tell if it’s his tummy or his teeth or what.

• BinkyBunny
              8776 posts Send Private Message

Oh digmexnow. I am sooo sorry. I know this scary! The fact that he’s not eating even any treats does mean it’s serious, and I think you are right to seek out an emergency vet.

Does he feel bloated at all? When you put your ear up to his stomach, can you hear anything?

One thing you can try (but it’s not to replace vet treatment) is to get simethicone. I use a baby formula "little tummies" .   I also found texcerpt from Rabbit Health in the 21st Century http://books.google.com/books?id=3Gz-NTF8wdQC&pg=PA38&lpg=PA38&dq=simethicone+rabbits&source=web&ots=frXluZ5XFZ&sig=iTreg940En7gmyZD3nOKNaZL5VM

Hopefully you have 24 hour Walgreens or something so you can get this.   But again, this may not solve the problem, so keep a careful eye, and if he doesn’t get better very soon, then call your emergency vet.

I am sending healing vibes your way!!

• BinkyBunny

I forgot to add, exercise can also help work out some stomach issues.

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                  Participant

I’m still up with him. He’s become a little more responsive and he’s drank some water, but still no eating or pooping. He’s picked up a bit of energy. I’m super tired but I want to at least see a nibble before I sleep for a couple hours.

• BinkyBunny

The fact he drank a little water is good, anything to keep him hydrated. I am so sorry about all of this. I know how awful this feels! I am keeping my fingers crossed and continuing to send out healing vibes.

• Floppy
                      Participant
                      490 posts Send Private Message

>>>>>Healing vibes!!!<<<<<<

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                        Participant

I got him to eat a papaya cute and a craisin and a bit of baby carrot! Maybe not the healthiest, but hell, it’s something! Now I might be able to sleep! haha

• BinkyBunny

OH good! Do you have to be anywhere first thing in the am? If you find that he’s not eating in the am, can you take him to the vet?

• Sarita
                            Participant
                            18851 posts Send Private Message

Please keep us updated on Frankie! I know how stressful this is for you. At least a little is going in and coming out right now but a visit to the vet is a definite.

• Thumpers_Mom
                              Participant
                              171 posts Send Private Message

Hey digxmexnow, I just read this post…How is Frankie doing? How are you holding up? I hope everything is fine! (((((((hugs))))))

• osprey
                                Participant
                                2065 posts Send Private Message

Healing vibes for poor Frankie.  I just went throught this with Curly Sue, it is really scary.  Are his teeth chattering at all?

{{{{{Frankie}}}}}

• hockeygurly17
                                  Participant
                                  17 posts Send Private Message

One trick I learned that apparently works well is to mix about an ounce of REGULAR Coke with some benefiber. Put it in something like a dropper and feed it to him. This will help provide liquid, sugar, and the benefiber will help if he’s got GI stasis.

• Beka27
                                    Participant
                                    16016 posts Send Private Message

oh my gosh.  any update?

• osprey
                                      Participant
                                      2065 posts Send Private Message

I would not offer a sugary food to my bunnies if I thought they were sick.  The best layman’s article on stasis (ileus) written by Dr Dana M. Krempels says the following about oral fluids:

(normal fluid intake for a healthy mammal is approximately 90 – 100cc per kg–or about an ounce per pound–of body weight per day) are essential for hydrating intestinal contents that may have formed a hard mass and be nearly impossible to pass. Water is best, but unsweetened Pedialyte, an electrolyte drink designed for human infants (and available in the infant section of the grocery store), may also be used. Avoid any fluids containing large amounts of sugar (even Gatorade), as these can exacerbate the overgrowth of harmful bacteria in the cecum.

Here is the full article

I cannot comment on Benefiber, because I don’t know what is in it.

• BinkyBunny

I big DITTO to Osprey’s advice! I have never heard of the cola mix – coke is sooooo high in sugar that I can’t imagine this would be good. Plus the carbonation I think could add gas. Sorry, hockeygurly17, don’t mean to be down on your advice. I know you care and are trying to help.

I too have to check out the Benefiber thing – that part I am not familiar with. It was just the coke aspect that set off alarm bells.

• Sarita
                                          Participant
                                          18851 posts Send Private Message

That article is my GI Stasis Bible!

I’ve heard of the Benefiber thing too and so has my vet but the best bet is Critical Care or your own pelleted mixture in my opinion and that’s what my vet recommends too – Critical Care. Also coke besides being chock full of sugar is carbonated and if the bunny has gas why would you want to add more bubbles to the mix – rabbits cannot burp like humans I don’t believe – I know they cannot vomit.

• hockeygurly17
                                            Participant

Well my info is from a vet who only works with rabbits and has had good success in using it. It’s only 1/2 an ounce to an ounce so thats about 4 grams of sugar….

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                                              Participant

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes for Frankie.

I got him to eat a bit around 3 am, and by this morning he had eatien his greens that I had offered to him last night (even though they were dry and limp by the time he got to him).

He ate some greens this morning and is nibbling on a timothy cube.

His behavior is pretty much back to normal and he’s pooping a bit, but they are smaller than usual.

I’m going to check up on him throughout the day, but he seems to be alright now. I put a towel down on the bottom of his cage and he just flopped over onto it

• Gravehearted
                                                Participant
                                                2428 posts Send Private Message

oo I am so glad that he is feeling better, encourage him to eat lots of hay for sure since that will help his gi system and bring those nice sized poops.

I really do not feel comfortable with the coca-cola suggestion – the sugar as well as the carbonation seem like a very worrisome combination for rabbits, especially if they have are already having stomach problems.

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                  18092 posts Send Private Message

I’m glad your bun is okay. I know how insanely stressful it is when they are sick. It’s so hard to see something so adorable sick!!

• hockeygurly17
                                                    Participant

But how much sugar would be in say a normal treat you might feed your rabbit anyway? Probably even more than 4 grams

• Scarlet_Rose
                                                      Participant
                                                      4293 posts Send Private Message

Oh no Rachel!! I am so sorry to hear about poor little Frankie. How is he doing this evening?

• Molotov
                                                        Participant
                                                        51 posts Send Private Message

Oh no! Hope Frankie gets to feeling better soon. Maybe he chewed on something in the house that made his tummy hurt.

• BinkyBunny

I am relieved to hear that he ate greens. To keep them from drying out just keep wetting them with water. That way it will help Frankie stay dehydrated. Keep us updated. I have been thinking about you and Frankie alot today.

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                                                            Participant

Frankie is doing really well. Seems back to normal!

• BinkyBunny

YEAH!!! Good News!!

• Scarlet_Rose
                                                                Participant
                                                                4293 posts Send Private Message

Hockeygurly, I checked the Benefiber web site and it says it is not recommended to mix it with any carbonated drink.  I am also thinking that this also expands in the stomach of your rabbit and could make things worse. Some of the side effects listed are bloating and gas, which is also harmful for a rabbit on a normal basis, but especially so when one is in GI stasis. I have to disagree with the Coke as it is not just loaded with sugar, but with corn syrup, caffeine and other ingredients that a rabbit really should not be consuming. I am really wondering about the recommendation of using such a remedy and would advise against it.

Viewing 29 reply threads
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE I think my bun is sick