Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR I think my bun is manipulating me…HELP

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Crazybunmum
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

So Oreo is about one and a half and he is a terror and an angel! He loves a cuddle, is perfectly litter trained, is indoor/outdoor as he pleases (unless he annoys mummy to no end) and he is mostly free roam. Our house is bunny proofed to the MAX but this guy is taking it to a whole new level. He is chewing our couch from underneath, jumps on the coffee table so he can eat my books and chew my house plants. He likes getting in trouble he binkys off when I thump at him. He has eaten so much designer clothing bags and shoes I cannot tell you. I had to put a lock on my wardrobe because he would go in and wee in my shoes and eat them. He has resorted to chewing my curtains, carpet and even my fkn walls. I have tried the no cheese sprays and natural alts but he licks them off. He will grunt at me and nip me if I’m working or reading and he wants a pat. He gets SO much attention and he doesn’t seem bored. He just LIKES when I get angry at him, it’s like extra attention? HELP ME!!!! This morning he was with me for five minutes and ran off to eat my coffee table book and plant. Then ran to his litter tray because he knew he was being naughty, but he BINKYied his way over!!! I try communicating like a bunny, I will thump and turn my back. I will loose my bond over this boy. He was spayed at 6months, and was NEVER like this. The only thing I can think is when we moved to a bigger space we were less on top of each other?

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

So, to me it just sounds like you need to up your bunny proofing game, despite how well you may have it set up already! The bunny proofing section in the bunny info tab at the top of the page has a lot of good tips.

It is about a combo of completely blocking access to problem areas, and providing safe alternatives.

Many people will block access to under couches with a piece of lumber attached to that space under the couch (which doesn’t look too bad). You can attach acrylic sheeting to the lower part of the floor to block problem areas of the wall. NIC cube grids can also be used to block areas he isn’t allowed.

Phone books are a safe alternative for chewing. Ceramic tiles can protect problem spots on the carpet, and I’ve found cardboard cat scratchers to be really popular safe alternatives for carpet chewers. Move plants and books to places he can’t get to, etc.

What do you currently do when he’s getting into trouble? If you go and pet him or give him some form of attention, then you may be reinforcing that behavior by giving him a reward. It isn’t really possible to “train” bunnies NOT to do things, but if they are doing something that you just need them to stop doing, a loud noise (like a clap and a firm “NO”) can work, or a very light spritz with a water bottle. I never directly spray my bunnies with water, but I had one girl that used to really get obsessed with certain carpet spots, and so I would sometimes spritz the water so it would just sprinkle on her ears to distract her. Once she was distracted from the chewing, I would direct her to the safe alternative (the cat scratcher, etc.).

If all else fails, you might consider only doing partial free roam, and possibly only when supervised. Some bunnies just aren’t great candidates for free roam (such as my carpet chewing girl).

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Louiethebunny
          Participant
          603 posts Send Private Message

Something I’ve found helps with chewing is placing the Oxbow corner toys and play tables placed around corners. I rub banana or some other treats on them too to show that the toys are for chewing and furniture isn’t. Shelving will also be your best friend! I have some pretty inexpensive wall mounted shelving that just gets drilled into the wall so it is above floor level and it’s great for placing things i dont want my little guy chewing up. I try to give my bun a firm “no” like Dana says to distract my bun.

• bunbun00
            Participant
            28 posts Send Private Message

My rabbit is literally the same, he’s now got the nickname Rat because he’s just so intense and I swear he loves being told off too!

In my old place he was the worst and ripped wallpaper off the whole wall and ripped up carpets on 2 rooms which I needed to replace.

i moved into a place now with all hard floors and just paint that I can fix when I leave (he eats the corners of the walls).

For me the only thing that’s called him down is that we are in such a strict routine now but it’s just me and him so it’s easier. We get up at a set time, have food and 2 snack times in the day and we go to bed at a set time. I also “gave” him some nicer wicker baskets to destroy as he only likes to eat furniture and not toys. That’s really helped. Also i find onix very food motivated so that helps, for the clothes etc I had a similar issue and now keep that door closed so he can’t go in there unless I let him.

If you crack the code please let me know because this is a constant struggle for me too! Good luck

• Crazybunmum
              Participant
              2 posts Send Private Message

So I’ve realised I am being manipulated. He has turned into an angel this past week since he’s been inside 24/7! I’ve been home a lot too and I think that he just wants it his way or no way.  Newest thing is his obsession with scratching and biting and organising my blanket and dressing gown. And then sits on them. It’s fine except when I’m wearing it!

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR I think my bun is manipulating me…HELP