Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE I said I wasn’t gonna do this…

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    • Bladesmith
      Participant
      849 posts Send Private Message

But I dood it.  Several weeks ago, my vets office called me to tell me that the local rescue was getting 2 rabbits for every one they could foster or adopt out, and would I consider fostering?

Well, you guys know me, I can’t say no to a rabbit in need.  So I said yeah, I’d take one for a while.  So I ended up with this little, tiny footed, baby bunny.  She’d been surrendered to the local pound,  and then sent to the rescue.  She was allegedly 9 months old, but if she was 4 months, I’d have eaten my hat.  She was TINY.   But, from the first, Loki adored her.  I think he’s missed his other bunwife, Dawn, who passed over the bridge early this year.  She’s very skittish, doesn’t want to be handled, but I’ve gotten her to the “Boop him with my nose and occasionally chin him when he’s not looking” stage.

Anyway, the pound named her “Mascie”, which sucked.  We went through about 25 names, finally settling on “Ivy”, because well, she grows on you.

In the process, she has: Destroyed my brand new, $140 rugs, eaten several books, been found on TOP of the 6 and a half foot high china cabinet (Teleportation, Helicopter ears?  Who knows?)  chewed through the power cord on my flat screen tv, and in the result blown out every breaker in the house, oh and in the resulting weeks, quite stolen my heart.  I’m a terrible foster parent.  I can’t seem to grasp the “foster” part of things.

Anyways, here’s Ivy, the latest rescue in my life.

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

Bladesmith, she’s beautiful! And how lovely she and Loki get along! He seems like such a loving guy.

I’m sorry she’s done so much bunstruction, bu I know you know quite a lot about that from long before she arrived. My bun ate her way through my mum’s sofa last summer, which was slightly embarassing 😬

• DanaNM
          8935 posts Send Private Message

Oooh I feel ya on being a bad foster parent! LOL

Congrats on the little one, those young buns certainly have a way of getting into EVERYTHING. She’s adorable!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Bladesmith
            Participant

She is a cutey, for all her bunstruction.  I forgot about the loveseat damage!  Then again, Clover had already mangled it already, so….After Clover, 4 kids, Dawn, and so on, the loveseat was pretty much trashed already.  Bunny slaves aren’t allowed to have nice things, lol.

She’s about 5 lbs. I guess, and she’s clearly got some Dutch in her, but I’m not sure what she’s crossed with.  Anyone have ideas?

• LBJ10
              16908 posts Send Private Message

OMG! She is darling! Could be a Dutch mix.

• BZOO
                Participant
                330 posts Send Private Message

Very cute!  My first foster attempt, Chihuahua mix, lasted about two hours and then we knew he was home.

• Plumped Cuddly Bunnies
                  Blocked
                  103 posts Send Private Message

Its normally not to hard to replace power cords on things if your handy with a screwdriver and soldering iron. Rabbits will chew and destroy everything in reach. Wire mesh is normally your best friend for bunny proofing.

• BunnyLass568
                    Participant
                    446 posts Send Private Message

She is adorable! Sorry about all the bunstruction but so glad Ivy and Loki get along

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Passed away: Hailey (9 years old, half rat terrier and miniature pincher, Feb-5-2019),Monster (13 years old, mixed breed, Lhasa Apso and some form of terrier, Sep-14-2020), Demon (14 year old Lhasa Apso, Aug-3-2022) Blossom (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-7-2024) Thumper (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-12-2024)💔💔💔💔

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                      Participant
                      2512 posts Send Private Message

Gaah, she’s adorable! I’d forgive her for eating a hole through all of my clothes, the sofas, and every last item in my pantry. Cute and mischievous, what a mix!

• jerseygirl
                        22345 posts Send Private Message

I feel like I could have written this thread 😄😄

Welcome Ivy! And welcome back Bladesmith. Us addicts, we are understood here. 😉

She’s very cute! I like the new name and the reason you gave it to her haha

• Bladesmith
                          Participant

Thanks gang!  Good to be back.  I’ve been more than a little busy, because I got myself a part time job.  I’m a librarian!  (it’s much more physical than people think)

As for her nibs, I’m working on getting her to be more lovey, but it’s a slog.  She’s not a cuddly bun, and runs every time I stand up, or move around.  Not real sure how to fix it, except the old sit on the floor and ignore her, with treats.  I’ve no idea what her life was like before and in the pound, but it clearly marked her.

But, she and Loki are thick as thieves, she’s safe and happy, and that’s what really matters.

• DanaNM
                            8935 posts Send Private Message

I’m sure she will relax in time, especially with social cues from Loki that you are a friend. 🙂

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                              Participant
                              2512 posts Send Private Message

That’s very familiar: when Molly is out of her hutch anything can spook her. Her problem is that Owen is in another room when she’s out, so she can’t take cues. I’ve made a lot of progress with Molly by being with her on the floor and by mimicking relaxed rabbit body language. (Closing eyes, rubbing your chin against your shoulder as if you’re grooming yourself, and trying to loaf as a rabbit does.) Do this with the curtains closed, before your neighbours call the mental health hotline 😉

I can pet Molly during her relaxed phases now. She also fell asleep while I was petting her, twice now in the last week. When I laid my hand on her back she drifted off and had big bunny dreams with fluttering eyelids and twitching ears.

Even Bas could pet her for the first time 2 days ago! Only when she’s in her hutch though: he’s the big boss of the house and it’s quite a thing if he gives you attention. She gets a little starstruck, but she does purr.

Sadly she still has those random bouts of nerves: sometimes anything can set her off. Lift your arm to scratch your head and she’ll bolt, even if you’re on the other side of the room. Sound does the same: a leaf rustling outside, a neighbour coughing, a hedgehog farting 2 blocks away: it’s all a reason to get spooked. I’m getting a little tired with it all tbh… 😮‍💨

I’m trying to desensitise her by making small movements and by not paying attention to low grade anxiety. I used to speak comforting words if something small spooked her, but I fear it may reward her behaviour. I’ve been ignoring these small things for a week now, so it’s hard to say if it has any effect yet. I still talk to her a lot, but I go about my business.

When you want Ivy to calm down around you, I’d indeed try the treats on the ground method. Some rabbits also don’t like being looked at, so sitting with your eyes closed in a relaxed position will help. Basically: do all the opposite of what a predator would do. Keep your breathing relaxed and don’t hold it (as if you’re about to pounce). Muscle tension low, think about happy and relaxing things. She’s so friendly with Loki, she must know that he’s a friend of yours 🥰

• prince dorian the bun
                                Participant
                                743 posts Send Private Message

She is such a cutie, even if a little on the bunstructive side! I think I would fair the same as a foster. Congrats! (I am now also  appreciating that the most my two have down is take the stuffing out of the pillows on the couch 😀 )

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE I said I wasn’t gonna do this…