Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.ย  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.ย  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best.ย 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time.ย 

BUNNY 911 –ย If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?ย  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules.ย 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! ย Don’t have a vet? Check outย VET RESOURCESย 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited.ย The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.ย  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE I now declare thee: husbun and bunwife!

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ellie from The Netherlands
      Participant
      2512 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone, welcome to this joyous topic! It all went faster than we could believe, but Owen and Molly are BONDED! ๐Ÿ•Š๐Ÿฐโค๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿ•Š

We’d been struggling with bonding for months, both feeling that we knew too little, and me knowing that I couldn’t manage it physically.

There are few bonders in this country, let alone in our area. The shelter that we called was way too busy, but they gave us the number of a lady who is a behaviourist. She was unsure if she could fit us in because summer is very busy for her. But suddenly we got the message that we could bring them in: last Thursday.

There were no signs of hormones or fighting during the date there, so she decided to put them together day and night with a baby monitor on. They were scared and huddled together. Every day they became more comfortable and sought each other out. Suddenly there was no more excitement, no stress, just each other.

She said that they’re very comfortable with each other, and that it was probably just a matter of a change of surroundings so they could settle as a couple. We cleaned up the house and washed everything down with vinegar, and now they’re back!

Pics!

Kisses for Molly:

Eating together:

Flop!

Snooze…

• LBJ10
        16908 posts Send Private Message

Aww! That’s wonderful! Congrats! Yes, sometimes all that is needed is a “strange” environment.

Participant

Thank you!

I’m very happy but also still a bit in doubt. I’m hoping that this will be the final step in the process. It went very fast, but I also want to put my trust in the expert, that she knows when it’s safe to put them together again.

There were no chasing or aggression behaviours at all while bonding, and only some light mounting. They’ve been in the same pen at home now for 8 hours, so I think it’s safe to go to bed. (With the doors open so we can hear if something goes wrong.)

There was some light mounting from Owen earlier this night, but he stops as soon as Molly walks away. There’s not much excitement or hooting behind it. He doesn’t really pursue her. The bonder didn’t see much mounting either. Owen grooms Molly, surprisingly. It used to be the other way round while they were still separated.

Molly is a lot calmer than before, this is perhaps the biggest change. She starts to purr when I pet her, doesn’t shy away from hands, and is now fast asleep in an open space. She’s twitching in a dream, so relaxed that she’s almost keeling over. ๐Ÿ˜

When something scares them they go to their hiding box and sit there together. It’s very cute to see them ๐Ÿฅฐ The best thing about a bigger brother is that you can hide behind him better!

• BunnyLass568
            Participant
            446 posts Send Private Message

Congratulations!! That is just really awesome!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Passed away: Hailey (9 years old, half rat terrier and miniature pincher, Feb-5-2019),Monster (13 years old, mixed breed, Lhasa Apso and some form of terrier, Sep-14-2020), Demon (14 year old Lhasa Apso, Aug-3-2022) Blossom (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-7-2024) Thumper (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-12-2024)๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”

• Bam
              16877 posts Send Private Message

This sonds lovely, Ellie! Congrats!!!

I just found out yesterday there is one rabbit bonder in Sweden. I’m going to contact her for an estimate, because I really want to get Snoa a husbun. Since I failed so miserably with Bam and Yohio back in the day, I dont feel confident at all about bonding two rabbits. Especially since Snรถa was surrendered to a rescuer because she reacted with (quite outspoken) aggression towards the male bun she was originally purchased as a companion for. I’d feel a lot more confident if I know there is the possibility of an external bonder.

Fingers so very crossed that their bond will keep!!!

Participant

Thank you all so much! ^_^ I can do little else but look at them all day and take millions of pics. It’s amazing!

Here they are enjoying some fresh spinach:

@Bam
                  : One! Wow… Our bonder said it too: there are way too few people to fall back on if you’re a rabbit owner. It’s improving, but the support network is still very sparse. It doesn’t help that even vets will give wrong bonding advice…

Yes, bonding is super intense: you’ll always doubt if you’re doing it right. I’m still reading all the websites I can find, even after the bonder told us that they’ll be fine. I’m constantly thinking: is this normal?

Apparently it’s normal to still see some mounting in the first weeks, and rabbits are considered bonded if they don’t chase or fight in each other’s company. There’s a phase in which they’ll have to sort things out before they get all lovey-dovey, and mounting is a part of that phase.

They definitively have those cute moments but Owen mounts Molly a couple of times a day. I’ve decided to keep my hands off: they’ll have to work it out together. The bonder also said that they’re still boisterous teenagers who are still developing their personality, so they may be a little less balanced than older rabbits.

The bonder also told us that she never bonds her own buns by herself, because she’s too emotionally attached. It definitely helps to have a neutral party.

I really hope that your bonder has space to bond her and can find Snรถa a beautiful husbun!

• DanaNM
                  8935 posts Send Private Message

Congrats! That’s excellent! They look great!

And agree that a new space and a neutral party are always helpful! And I agree that mounting is normal! My buns still mount each other from time to time. ๐Ÿ™‚

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Participant

@DanaNM: yes, they’re adorable together ๐Ÿฅฐ Never mind TV, I’m having a great view from the sofa here!

It really was the new space that made them a couple. Things just weren’t neutral enough in my house. We wiped everything down with vinegar to clear the smells. Then we set up a different pen and rearranged things.

There are new toys, a new litter box, and a new hay rack that neither has ever seen. They use the same litter box without a problem and they even go together.

I’d like to confirm btw that there’s nobody who’s more picky than a bunny… They weren’t eating their pellets, but did eat their veg and snacks. When I put some pellets on the floor they ate them too. I just put it down to “bunnies being in a new environment”.

I cleaned their water bowl 15 minutes ago, and when it was gone they were both in their food bowls within seconds. Turns out that they wanted a bit more space around the bowls, and were prepared to starve over it ๐Ÿ™„

• DanaNM

Totally new spaces have always helped me too! You definitely laid all the groundwork for the bonder with all your hard work!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Participant

Thank you! I think that’s one of the reasons why she decided to help us. At first she said no because she runs the sick bay for several shelters, but she wanted a bit more info about the situation.

When I mentioned that we’d already done a lot of pre-bonding and hutch swapping, she called the shelters to ask if there were any surgeries planned soon. Then she told us to bring the bunnies in as soon as possible, and only 4 days later we could take them home!

I want to thank you so much for advising us through the whole journey Dana ๐Ÿ˜˜ This wouldn’t have been possible without you sharing your knowledge! Even vets couldn’t help us… I hope that I can pay it forward and help other people with the bit I learned through Owen and Molly’s bonding journey.

• DanaNM

You’re welcome! It’s definitely important to have a cheering section during those tough moments! ๐Ÿ™‚

Participant

Sharing some more love ๐Ÿฅฐ

Who ever thought it possible…?

Participant

We’re seeing more and more cuddles and less mounting. Molly is becoming more confident too, and nudges Owen aside when he’s hogging one of the food bowls. Owen has a tendency to claim food, but Molly is starting to speak her mind about it.

They’re spending most of their time flopped together, even though it’s a bit too warm for bunny comfort. Luckily we’ll get rain tonight, so we’re getting a quick temperature drop.

Looking at how physical they are made me realise: Breintje wasn’t overly clingy towards me, he was just doing normal bunny things and really saw me as his bunwife…๐Ÿฅบ๐Ÿฅฐ

• GlennTheLionhead
                                Participant
                                361 posts Send Private Message

This is just fantastic news!

Congratulations Molly, Owen, Ellie and family!

Bonded rabbits are such a beautiful sight <3

• prince dorian the bun
                                  Participant
                                  743 posts Send Private Message

Eeeeeeiiiii! Yay!! Congrats EEllie and Owen and Molly ๐ŸŽŠ๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿฐ๐ŸŽ‰

• jerseygirl
                                    22345 posts Send Private Message

Adora-babies! Itโ€™s just so cute seeing them together like that. Your face must ache from smiling so much. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hallelujah for one habitat shared time out.

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE I now declare thee: husbun and bunwife!