Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR I need some feedback

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • bunnytowne
      Participant
      7537 posts Send Private Message

oh myy is it normal for a rabbit to get so jealous and bite it’s owner on the hands and come up dig on my shirt and then attack my face when I get a new bun family member. HE has always bitten and growled at me when I had a new adoptee in the house but he never attacked my face like that before he hasn’t drawn blood just hurts. if it was a dog doing this I would have to have it put down glad it is only a bun. what I did was pick him up put him on his back relax him and hold him under my chin and pet n pet him like i used to and o h did his little teeth purr. if anyone else but me has ever held him they got bit too otherwise he doesn’t bite. unless he doesn’t want me messing with his cage or litterbox he will grunt and charge at me but won’t bite to draw blood. I am keeping dust bunny in the bedroom. he will hurt him too if he has a chance. after about 2 weeks he calms down with attacking me has been the routine. any one else have this problem of extreme jealousy?

• Deleted User
        Participant
        22064 posts Send Private Message

Oh gosh this sounds nasty.  I guess this is Cotton who is attacking you … Cotton can smell the other bunny’s scent on you and your clothes and does not like it.  If Cotton has been the only one in the household and now he has some competition, it will start a war.  It is good that you are keeping the two separate otherwise all hell would probably break loose.   Bunny fights can be very nasty and as you well know from your wounds, they can cause serious injuries to each other.  I have had one experience where half of one of my bun’s ears was ripped off by Sprinkles.  Try ensure (which I know is difficult and a pain!) to wash your hands and change your clothing before handling Cotton.

I personally feel that you need to let Cotton know who the Boss is … he seems to want to rule the household… always remember you are the Boss not him.  You mentioned that Cotton, regardless if you have another adoptee in the house, lunges and growls at you anyways .. my first suggestion (as Luey appears to have the same traits as Cotton)… Cotton gets antzy when you are in his bedroom (pen/cage) … if you are cleaning out his pen/cage area (as that is his space) ensure he is put away out of your reach whilst you undertake your bunny cleaning duties. 

If Cotton is growling and lunging at you for no apparent reason, give him a firm NO! and place your hand on his head and push gently down to the ground.  This is telling Cotton that you are at the top of the ladder and he is down there somewhere on the bottom steps.  Most bunnies dislike this practice.  In Luey’s case, this tended to make him more aggressive towards me, so I ceased this practice and just put him away.

If you don’t reinforce these practices, Cotton will continue and have you under his little paw knowing he can get away with it.  Whilst he is young, changes can be made but don’t disregard and leave.  Ensure you act promptly.

Luey was a monster for biting me but with patience and enforcing the issue that I am the Boss, he has settled down considerably, however, if he steps over the line he goes back in his pen and he can sit there and look at me with those big brown eyes, but I will not give in to him. Luey who is 3 now, was a rescued bun.  It appears he was abused by his previous owners, so his biting habit has been ingrained somewhat (Luey associates my hand as a bad thing).   This I understand to a point.

Its just like bringing up children … enforce the good habits … and they will grown up into fine adults, but in our case nice bunnies.

Perhaps some of the other ladies have their own suggestions.  What works for one may not work for others. I think I have babbled on enough!  I can hear you LOL.

Let us know how you are getting on with Cotton.

Dawn xx

• KatnipCrzy
          Participant
          2981 posts Send Private Message

You brought another male rabbit into the house?  neutered?  fostered or adopted?

• JK
            Participant
            2223 posts Send Private Message

When did you get another bunny?  Did I miss a post? 

• bunnytowne
              Participant
              7537 posts Send Private Message

yes he does seem to rule the roost here.  spoiled rotten.    he only grunts at me when he is in his cage and I am in it too. so I wait til he hops out and works great. he quit doing that since I am not picking him up from inside his cage anymore.

yes last nite I was holding him and he came for my face again I grabbed him by his ears and pulled him back. I didn’t mean to grab his ears it just happened ot protect my face. he is just fine this morning no more attacking and is curious about the new member of the house. His name is Feda and he is 8 weeks old probably 9 weeks by now. when hubby goes to orlando agian I will get him neutered at the age appropriate time. I think it is a he I was hoping for a girl I can’t tell just yet. no cotton went after females too a big nasty fight I was holding them both just in case and good thing was about 6 months ago. was a foster. I dont’ do that anymore cuz of the attacks he does on my hands.

I would love to volunteer at the shelter with buns but I am afraid Cotton will be all over me with his attacks

by the way I did have different clothes on that did not have that new baby buns smell on it. and washed my hands but he still came at me. he was not attacking this morning it usually stops about 2 weeks down the line. I will teach him now tho. b4 2 weeks comes around no to attack me. yes pinning him down may help a lot. will give that a try.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR I need some feedback