Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A I need help with my bunny

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • minnieservis
      Participant
      98 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone. I wasn’t sure where to post this but I could use some help. I’ve always come to this site for help and advice on my bunny. I’ve had her about 2 months now. I love her to death but I’m afraid I’m not giving her the attention and care she needs. I have a cage for her and I got those NIC things everyone recommends and I built a nice large pen around her cage so she has plenty of room. I give her pellets and fresh greens daily and unlimited hay. I know I’m feeding her properly but I just don’t know if I’m giving her enough attention. Like I said her pen is of decent size and could easily house another bunny or two so I know she has enough room, but, I don’t get to take her out of it very much. If I’m lucky I can take her out every other day or so. She isn’t picking up on the litter training very well but she only goes potty in her cage and she leaves her pen very clean. Am I just worrying too much? Or should I find her a home where someone will give her enough attention? I love her so much and I want to keep her but I also want her to have a good life and I worry she’s not getting that right now. I hope someone here has advice for me because I could really use it right now. I want to get to the point where I can just let her roam free around my room but I just don’t have as much time as I thought I would to spend with her. I already have a shih-tzu and a kitten so I’m afraid they may try to hurt her, tho anytime they’ve gotten close they seem to do just fine together. Plus I’ve had her two months and still haven’t named her. I feel bad about that but I haven’t come across a name that fits her. I’m considering just naming her Binky Bunny since I’m always on this site lol. Sorry to ramble on but I’m hoping someone here can help me like you guys always have. Thanks so much

• MarkBun
        Participant
        2842 posts Send Private Message

Well the first thing to note is that asking these questions of yourself already makes you a better parent than most people who don’t think about their buns after they get them.

I have a similiar situation where I don’t spend nearly enough time with my buns and I would like. They may get some free roam time every other day or even less depending upon my work schedule. Sometimes I feel that all I am doing is keeping the food and water full and their potty box empty. I got my bun another rabbit because I felt so guilty and that way she now has a friend she can boss around instead of me.

If you can afford it, I would suggest another rabbit to keep your current one company when you’re not around but I wouldn’t worry about her being neglected if she’s in your room and you do get to socialize with her from time to time.

• Ana
          Participant
          182 posts Send Private Message

I’m new to the “bunny world”, but from the little I’ve learned and the lot of I’ve seen since I’ve joined this site, you probably do much better than many bunny parents.  Maybe try spending time with her more?  Get her a buddy so she’s not lonely?

• jerseygirl
            22345 posts Send Private Message

I think it’s normal to feel this way in the beginning. Everyone is still adjusting. I know I go thru phases where I can spent more time with my bun and then when it’s limited again, I feel guilty and worry alot. But honestly, giving your bun a safe, secure home, and healthy diet is a big deal! She’s getting some interaction with you and other pets too instead of being forgotten in an obscure outside hutch somewhere. Look for the signs of a content bunny. Is she spayed? This will help with litter training and a more settled bunny. In time, you’ll both grow confident to stretch the parameters further. I’m 8 months into bunny ownership and i’m still learning and worrying and testing but I see I have a happy bunny, just need to remind myself now and then!

• Sage Cat
              Participant
              1883 posts Send Private Message

I agree with MarkusDark – the fact that you are here shows you are a good bun parent.

If she is leaving her pen very clean it sounds like she is off to a good start on potty training.

We all go through stages where we don’t get to spend as much time with those that we really want to. Why is it that you can’t spend more time with her – are you just not home or are you worried about the shih-tzu and kitten. Knowing the answer to this could help solve the issue. I know buns and cats and dogs cal learn to get along well, but it does take a little time.

It always takes me forever to name a pet. Here is a site with lots of fun bun names: http://www.pet-rabbit-care-information.com/unique-pet-names.htm

Hope this all helps.

• JK
                Participant
                2223 posts Send Private Message

I agree with everyone here – you are doing better than MOST people who own pets.  Maybe a friend is a good idea.  Can you post some pictures of her?  Maybe a name will pop up!  I still don’t really like my bun’s name, Edson.  He came with that name.  I really like Murphy and Charlie but they just don’t fit! Names are really hard.  Some buns never respond to their names and some do. Keep us posted!

• Beka27
                  Participant
                  16016 posts Send Private Message

i agree that you are not a bad bunny parent. a “bad” bunny parent would not care one way or the other.

is there a reason why you are not spending more time with her? work schedule, other family obligations, too busy with other hobbies?

or do you have time, but you are just not motivated?

i suffer from depression and i have to be honest. some days i have to FORCE myself to do things that, any other day, i love to do. i would say that there is probably one or two days a week where the bunnies do not get free roam time, or it is very limited (only a couple hours as opposed to their normal 8), b/c for whatever reason, i don’t “feel like it”. it sounds horrible to say that, and everyone here knows how much i ADORE my bunnies… but it’s something i have little control over.

if the problem is not actual time, but just discipline or motivation, can you force yourself to spend time with her? when you feed her in the evening (or whenver you have a few minutes), set a timer for 10 minutes and just… be with her. no distractions. let her out in a small area so you can herd her back in easily at the end of the time limit. pet her, give her something to chew on, or just watch her eat her dinner. make a habit out of spending just a little bit of time with her and see if you do not start to feel a connection. even when you don’t “want to”, make yourself do it. i think the problem is that you have not bonded with her. you can’t name her b/c you don’t know who she is. try and make this a priority.

when i was bonding my bunnies for three weeks, one hour a day, i would bring a book or magazine with me, read a page, and then toss it aside b/c the bunnies were more fascinating than what i was reading. i don’t remember if this is your first rabbit, but assuming she is… you need to realize that unlike a dog or cat, she will not always seek you out for attention. having rabbits is what you make it. you can have her in a great cage with proper food, vet care, the works, but not really know the joy and privilege that is bunny ownership.

why dont you give it a try? make a conscious effort for one month to spend some time with her everyday. start with just ten minutes, increase from there if you can. if at the end rabbits are just not for you, there is no shame in working to find her a loving home that will appreciate her. from what i understand, i don’t think a second rabbit is the answer right now. i think you need to get to know your first.

please let us know what you decide. (hugs!)

• minnieservis
                    Participant

I want to thank everyone that has responded to my post. I have really been giving this some thought. I considered maybe getting another bunny for company but I agree with Beka, I don’t think it will help matters, in fact I may just be making the problem worse. I do need to bond with my bunny. Thanks again everyone that has given me some uplifting encouragment, I really needed it. I’m going to try what Beka said and spend at least 10 minutes a day with her and take it from there. I will keep everyone updated. Thanks again so much

• TARM
                      Participant
                      1253 posts Send Private Message

Everyone’s methods of being parents to animals are different. For example, I would love to let my bunnies roam the house, but I have other pets so mine have to settle for an hour or two a day confined to the living room for their out of cage time. I make sure all of my animals get the best food, have the nicest cage/crate, get the vet care they need, but the amount of individual time I have to spend with them each is limited.

Some people would say I shouldn’t have so many animals, and I admittedly do have more than the average person, but every one of them is a rescue and would probably be dead now if they weren’t with me. I also tend to save pairs or trios so that they won’t be lonely until their block of outside time arrives. Also, my daughters are very good about spending time with all of the animals, which I’m proud of because of their ages, so our animals get attention multiple times a day, even if it’s just having one of us stand there and watch them eat and talk to them. (I carry on entire conversations with my pets. They’re always so agreeable.)

Honestly, 10 minutes of quality bonding time is better than being stuck in a home where the bunny would languish unnoticed in a back yard hutch. You’re doing great and as you bond with your bunny you’ll find that you’re drawn to her and that spending quality time is really a lot easier than it would be with other pets. You can let her out and go about your business. I like that bunnies aren’t as needy as my ferrets and dogs are. But I wouldn’t give up my ferrets or dogs for anything, if that makes sense.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                        Participant
                        12067 posts Send Private Message

Sometimes when I was busy and couldn’t give my bunnies the time out they deserved on certain day (they’re free range now, so no longer a worry) I would doggy gate the hallway and put toys in there, and let them have access to the hallway while I slept=it gave them some worry free out-time and I didn’t have to supervise

• minnieservis
                          Participant

Thank you everyone so so SO much! I have decided to keep my lil hun bun and work on bonding with her. I re-designed her pen last night and the set up is much better now. I will definately keep everyone posted and I will be posting some pictures within the next few days. Everyone here is just so helpful. I hope one day I know as much about bunnies as you all do! I’ve already been sharing my newly found knowledge with a friend of mine who is considering getting a bun. Well I’m off to go play with my bunny right now so I will surely take some pictures! Thanks again!!

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A I need help with my bunny