Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A I need help/input on what could be causing these symptoms

Viewing 45 reply threads
  • Author
    • Sterling
      Participant
      64 posts Send Private Message

Hi all, owner of Fresno, Nora, and Quincy here. Can’t seem to get into my other account.

So, over the last few months I’ve been noticing weird things about Fresno. His poops are often coming out as like… thick and ovular. Not in a stuck-together-by-hair kind of way, just normal poop but big and oddly shaped. And recently he’s been leaving occasional mushy piles of poop around as well. It’s not cecotropes, again just normal poop but very mushy consistency, not watery though. I’ve also noticed his fur quality seems to be lacking? He always has tufts of hair coming out, like how it looks when a bunny is molting except it’s like on a consistent basis and it’s dull rather than smooth and shiny. A lot of the time he also doesn’t bother going to his litter box to pee and he’s just been peeing all over the floor, sometimes he even pees where he’s laying or sitting and will continue to sit in it, causing his backside to get very dirty. When I brought this particular problem up to the vet about 2 months ago they suggested he might be getting arthritis but I’m not sure that that’s it. I think there must be something internal going on and I’m wondering if a full panel blood test is what I should get when I bring him in? Maybe x-rays as well?

Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone regarding any known illnesses in bunnies? I also want to note that he has seriously had recurring mites in his ears for like… a year and a half. I have been giving him ivermectin to treat it and his dosage was even doubled last time I took him into the vet and they still just will not go away. I feel like that has to be due to some kind of immune system disorder or something? I am just at a loss and want to see if anyone here has ideas. Thank you.

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

Ooh good to see you! But sorry Fresno is not doing well. Fresno has hotot-type markings, right?

The large oval poops alternating with mushy poops unfortunately sounds like it could be megacolon/ cow pile syndrome. It’s fairly rare but we see it somewhat regularly on the forum. It’s a condition that is linked to coloration (the “charlie” markings and hotot markings) that is characterized by poor innervation of the cecum. How is his weight? Is he maintaining muscle tone? Peeing on the floor like that also indicates pain or a UTI. Was he checked for a bladder infection?

Do you have an approximate age for him? I’m curious about possible age-related changes.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Sterling
          Participant

Nope he’s a full Californian bun. His overall weight and body condition (aside from the dull, always-molting fur) are great, his appetite is great and he’s acting completely normal. But yes when I took him to his last appointment they ran a urine test because they suspected a UTI as well and it came back normal, no abnormalities. I’m not sure how old he is which is unfortunate, when I first got him they estimated him to be about a year old but then when I took him in and they suspected arthritis they said he could be older and developing it. They gave me pain meds to put him on to see if it helped but there wasn’t really any noticeable difference. I also cut a lower side in his litter box so he didn’t have to jump high to get into it but he still chose to jump over the higher sides lol, even though I put the low side in the direction he usually jumps in from.

What’s also weird to me is that even though the ivermectin has not cured the ear mites, he seems to feel so much better in every regard after I give it to him. He doesn’t pee on himself as much, his fur looks better, etc., but his poop is still shaped weird. Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t megacolon also result in gas/stasis issues as well? Luckily he hasn’t had that happen.

• DanaNM

Yes megacolon usually goes along with episodes of stasis and gas, but the weird poops usually come first.

I wonder if EC could be at play. It can cause urinary incontinence among other things. I do think blood work is a good starting point when something weird is happening, and I would mention EC as a possibility. Ivermectin does have some activity against EC, but it’s will not fully cure the infection, so that would actually explain why there were some improvements while he was on it.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Sterling
              Participant

Oh man that sounds like it could be a possibility then if Ivermectin helps but isn’t a cure. 🙁 I will definitely bring it up with the vet, thank you. Is Panacur what is usually used to treat it? I’ve read that vets will usually start treatment for it if it is even suspected so I really hope mine does. Since his symptoms aren’t that severe I would hope that if it is EC he can fully recover from it.

• Bam
                16838 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry Fresno is having problems.

Yes, panacur (fenbendazole) 20 mg/kilo per day for 28 days is still the gold standard for EC. Many vets will start treatment on suspicion. It does sound like a good idea.

• Sterling
                  Participant

Thank you. I’m very worried that I will be starting the meds too late to fully help him since I (unknowingly) noticed symptoms quite a while ago. When he grooms himself he sometimes has balance issues. It’s a little offputting that I’ve told all of these symptoms to his vet but they never even suggested EC was a possibility. I’m starting to wonder if they even know about the illness. :/

• Bam

You cant do more than you are doing. EC is very difficult to pinpoint in the really early stages, so please dont blame yourself.

You could perhaps suggest EC to your vet over the phone first, which would give them a chance to read up on the topic. Many vets still associate EC with head tilt, but thats only one aspect of EC.

• LBJ10
                      16870 posts Send Private Message

EC can manifest itself in weird ways. Since this is a bunny forum, we hear a lot of stories about EC buns and what their symptoms are. Dana and Bam are correct. It can be hard to diagnosis, especially when it isn’t a “textbook” case. We have seen urinary symptom-only cases here on the forum. I think the urinary incontinence and wobbliness are enough to at least suspect. The strange pattern of feeling better every time he gets an ivermectin dose is also suspicious.

As for the mites, it could be a weakened immune system that keeps them coming back. However, it might not be a bad idea to try something else. Ivermectin does not kill eggs, plus mites can actually start to develop resistance after awhile.

• Sterling
                        Participant

Very good point about the mites becoming immune, especially for how long I’ve been giving it. He has his vet appointment on Tuesday morning, I’ll inquire about getting something else to use. Thank you everyone. Will update on Tuesday.

• Sterling
                          Participant

Update: They gave me the one month of treatment. He weighs 6.7 pounds and his dosage is 0.6 ml once a day for 28 days, does this sound right? The vet was skeptical and told me it might be neurological and that “sometimes you just have to manage these things” and suggested he might just be older than we thought and a senior or something and that’s why he’s peeing, but I don’t think so at all because that doesn’t explain why he feels so much better all around when I give him ivermectin or the mushy poops he has and what not.

But anyway, I guess we’ll see what happens. The suspension they gave me doesn’t smell too good so I’m not sure if he’ll even take it. I read on here that someone got the apple flavored kind meant for horses, how would I go about dosing that if I had to?

• DanaNM

I mixed my Panacur with some mashed banana and Bun Jovi ate it no problem, so I would try that! If he really won’t eat it, I got the deworming paste for horses. It’s a bit harder to measure out but the concentration is the same so the dosing is the same.

Do you know what concentration they gave you? I think the default is usually 100 mg/mL. If that’s the case, that’s the correct dosage (I use this calculator to confirm, you want 20mg/kg body weight).

I would trust your gut here and possibly start looking for another vet. It’s not normal for old animals to just suddenly have neurological problems, but it IS common for old animals to have EC flair-ups due to their immune system being weakened.

EC also causes inflammation, so metacam is often given alongside the panacur. If Fresno is having some arthritis, metacam would be good to incorporate daily as well.

Some other things you can do to support his immune system while he’s on the panacur are supplemental feeding (Bun Jovi loves Emeraid and eats it willingly, even though he hates all other “mush” foods) and probiotics (there are some rabbit-specific ones on the market now that I’ve heard good things about).

For keeping him clean, I’ve switched Bun’s pen set up so that the flooring is covered with washable pee-pads with faux medical sheepskin on top (“sheepette”). The sheepette allows the pee to go through to the pee pad and keeps the bun clean and dry. If he is urinating on himself a lot and you are worried about urine scald, some people will actually use baby diapers to help keep the bun dry. Obviously they would need to be changed a lot and then you need to feed the bun their cecals, so it’s not ideal, but it’s better than scald!

• Bam

I’m glad you got fenbendazole for him.

Standard dose of fenbendazole for EC is 20 mg per kilo body weight and day, the appropriate dose can be calculated if the concentration is known. Here standard liquid fenbendazole suitable for rabbits has a strenght of 10%, which means 100 mg per milliliter. If you have the same strenght, the dose you’ve been prescribed is suitable for a circa 3.3 kilo bun. (For deworming with fenbendazole, the dose is generally around 10 mg/kilo body weight and only given for a few days).

EC frequently causes neurological problems, such as balance issues, nystagmus, hind end weekness, head tilt and spinning. I think it’s highly reasonable to try Panacur. It very rarely causes serious side effects.

Keep in mind its very slow-acting, so dont expect to see a lot of improvement right away. Improvement can also continue after the 28 days of treatment, as the affected body tissues continue to heal (EC causes host cells to burst and spill their contents, which elicits an inflammatory response from the immune system).

• Sterling
                                Participant

Yes I gave the first dose to him right when you posted with some banana and surprisingly he ate it too, not sure how long that’ll last though lol. Also don’t know about the concentration but I at least trust them to get that right, I can call and confirm though. Unfortunately there are only 3 vets that see bunnies in my area and the other 2 I was not a fan of right off the bat. I’ve been going to this one for 10 years and they’re really not terrible, it’s more when it comes to niche issues like this where they don’t seem to be… brushed up on the latest info for illnesses, I guess.

Thank you very much for all of the advice. I do have some bene-bac on hand that I can give him unless there’s a better one out there that I can get. And I’ve been using pee mats as flooring for them in their pens but haven’t tried the sheepette, I think I’ll give it a go to minimize the waste he’s getting on his bum. They shaved him a bit around that area and luckily no urine scald or anything but I’ll be keeping my eye on it. I appreciate the help!

• BZOO
                                    Participant
                                    327 posts Send Private Message

Maybe you could find a current rabbit veterinary guide on Amazon and casually leave it in their office.

Then they will be up to date.

I once went to “the best” bird vet, only to have him come back in the room with a book that looked like it was published in the ’70s.  I found a new vet.

• Sterling
                                    Participant

“EC causes host cells to burst and spill their contents, which elicits an inflammatory response from the immune system”

My god that sounds awful. I was going to ask how long it takes to see results so thank you for letting me know! Is there ever cases where they have to stay on it for more than 28 days or is that typically enough treatment? Also now that you mention it I think he does have a bit of hind end weakness as sometimes he struggles to get his legs over the litter box walls. 🙁

• DanaNM

There are some low-sided litter boxes out there now, he might appreciate that since he is making the effort to get into the box. Bun Jovi completely gave up trying to get into the box but he’s also 14. :p

• Bam

Some vets keep buns on Panacur for 5 weeks, but 28 days is still standard treatment. Repeat treatment is common though, some say 9 days every 6 months for asymptomatic EC-buns, other vets prefers to do the whole 28 days if/when a known EC-bun has a relapse.

EC is an intracellular parasite. An EC flare-up means the parasites for some reason have gained the opportunity to multiply profusely inside the cells they inhabit. The cell gets so full of parasite-copies it eventually bursts, spilling out its contents into the extra-cellular matrix. If that happens with many cells within a short time, you get a powerful inflammatory reaction. This is why a single shot of corticosteroids might save a really poorly EC bun -but as LBJ points out, corticosteroids should only be used with extreme caution and as a last resort for rabbits. NSAIDs like meloxicam are less potent anti-inflammatories than corticosteroids, but the advantage is that they’re well tolerated by rabbits and can be used long term.

EC is still not fully understood.

• DanaNM

Agree that 28 days is standard. I do now of buns that have had to do another 28 day round. Bun Jovi’s first vet messed up his dosage so he actually had 28 days of a lower dose, then 28 days of the correct dose, and he did fine. I noticed improvements after a couple weeks.

• Sterling
                                            Participant

Quick and possibly silly question, will inflammation from being on the meds only happen if he actually has EC? I’m so dang paranoid that he’s going to have bad side effects from this and if he doesn’t actually have EC it will all be for nothing. This is why I wanted to get x-rays done to check if it’s something else first but the vet seemed to not think it was necessary/not want to do it.

• LBJ10

The medication for EC doesn’t cause inflammation. Treating for EC when it is suspected won’t hurt anything. The risk of side effects is low. However, it isn’t a bad idea to pair Fenbendazole with a NSAID because EC itself can cause inflammation.

• Sterling
                                                Participant

Okay gotcha. I know that was basically said already but I just needed extra reassurance because I don’t want him to be in pain. 😅

• Bam

As LBJ says, it’s EC that causes the inflammation, not the meds. Giving him Metacam (active ingredient meloxicam) with the Panacur is fine. Metacam is the same typ of drug as ibuprofen is for humans, an NSAID. In many countries, not the USA though, meloxicam is sold OTC for humans for the same problems as ibuprofen adresses -muscle pain, joint pain, migraine-type headache etc. So its not a heavy duty drug.

Here my rabbit savvy vet always prescribed a stomach-protecting drug together with meloxicam, but just a month ago, I attended a webbinar by her, where she said that the evidence for the need of this precaution is low, at least for short-term meloxicam use. (Long term use is when the rabbit is put on daily meloxicam for years, to ameliorate age-related arthrosis and similar).

• Sterling
                                                    Participant

Alrighty, I’ll probably pair his treatment with it then.

Also, a bit of a random observation but I was just watching him eat his poops and when he was done and hopped away he left a bit of a mess behind. I think this has been happening frequently but it was more apparent because it was on the vinyl while I was washing the pee mats. He ate the brunt of the poops but there was a bit smeared onto the floor. What would cause this to happen? I would post a picture but not sure if that’s possible on my phone.

• Sterling
                                                      Participant

I just read through previous forum posts talking about this and one suggestion is digestive upset from things in their diet but he eats a ton of hay and about 2 tablespoons of pellets. Someone else suggested being overweight which I considered but the vet has never said anything about his weight, although he is a few ounces heavier than last time. I may cut down on pellets just in case though because it could help with potential arthritis as well.

I have also noticed someone’s tummy making rumbly noises every now and then and I can only guess that it’s his. I just don’t know what’s going on with him. 🙁

• Wick & Fable
                                                        5771 posts Send Private Message

Admittedly not as caught up on the details for your case, but re: the leaving a bit of smear poo behind, right now, I wouldn’t be too concerned — when a rabbit is feeling unwell, some GI distress is common, and it can lead to some more wet poos. Wetter poos can result is some slight smear or ceco juice being left behind at times. Don’t let the sound of grumbles make you too worried, because while it means there is gas, it also means the gas is moving… which is what you want if gas is building up.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Sterling
                                                          Participant

I guess that just proves even more that there’s something internal going on, because I keep flipping back and forth between EC and arthritis.

• Wick & Fable

Well arthritis can make moving uncomfortable, leading to sloppier eating/cleaning in that area, so smearing isn’t necessarily defining a diagnosis at this point.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM

EC can also cause hind leg weakness, making it harder for them to eat their cecals. It honestly could be both (I think this is what’s happening with BJ). Arthritis can be diagnosed with an x-ray if you want to confirm, but I think the other symptoms are still in line with EC so it’s worth going through with the treatment.

• Sterling
                                                                Participant

I wanted to confirm if it was arthritis with an x-ray but the vet said it’s not always a reliable way to tell. Don’t know if she was just being lazy and didn’t feel like doing it or.

• Bam

It is true that x-rays wont tell if there is arthritis/arthrosis pain. It’s well known that both humans and animals can be symptom free and yet have just terrible x-rays, whereas others can have bad pain but x-rays only show minimal degenerative changes.

If there is arthrosis pain, NSAIDs will help bring down the inflammation and pain, but it can take a week before you see improvement.

• Sterling
                                                                    Participant

View post on imgur.com

Image reviewed and approved by Wick

Just a quick little update. I switched Fresno and Nora’s whole litterbox setup to a very low box made for dogs, a grate over the litter, and a hay net, and he’s doing so much better about peeing outside of it. It’s been 4 whole days without pee right outside of the box whereas he used to do it like 3 times a day! Not to mention the nets make it so that I don’t have to sweep up hay all the time and there’s so much less hay waste from the buns. 10/10 highly recommend this setup lol. I also got him a sheepette bed that you can see but he hasn’t even acknowledged it.

It is day 17 of the panacur treatment so it’s hard to tell if that’s helping with the suspected incontinence or not. Unfortunately 2 days were skipped during treatment, one more towards the beginning and one recently so I hope that doesn’t affect anything. Maybe I should just add two extra days to the end of the treatment?

• Wick & Fable
                                                                        Moderator

Anything re: a prescribed treatment course, I would consult directly with your prescribing vet to ask what they recommend.

• Sterling
                                                                        Participant

Okie dokie, I’m going there Monday to pick up some more meloxicam for him so I’ll ask then

• DanaNM
                                                                          Moderator

That’s great the new box and/or the treatment is helping!

• Sterling
                                                                            Participant

The panacur treatment is finished and he’s a lot better about peeing outside of the litter box now but… he also spends most of his time in there. He’s just always laying in the litter box. I think maybe I’ll try meloxicam on a consistent long-term basis as well as weekly or maybe bi-weekly ivermectin, since it’s the only thing I give him that actually has visible positive results. I’m at a loss as to what is wrong with him though. Sometimes I wonder if it is just old age and he’s slowed a lot but… I dunno. Just a year ago he was very happy and healthy and I don’t think aging a year would have this much of an impact.

• Wick & Fable
                                                                              Moderator

Ultimately, it’s not your job at all to figure out the mystery — it is your vet’s, so if you ever want to update your vet on your rabbit’s condition, consult, etc. I would not hesitate to do so, in addition to consulting with another rabbit vet if that is possible (I understand you might have had bad experiences with the others, but it’s possible they may provide a valuable other options/opinions). I wouldn’t do ivermectin in intervals as you mention unless that’s something your vet mentioned — Ivermectin is not a medication typically administered like that and has a specific course designated to clear specific conditions. It is unusual based on how rabbit bodies process medications for anything to be effective when spaced out like that.

Did you end up doing blood work or any imaging?

• Sterling
                                                                                Participant

He was on ivermectin once a week for the ear mites so that’s why I figured once a week would work best. Whenever I give him the ivermectin, he’s usually a lot more active and acts a lot more comfortable for about 2 weeks before going back to looking depressed in his litter box if I don’t give him more. His current vet seems reluctant to run any tests/x-rays to try and figure out what’s happening so I’m definitely going to try a different one. I’m tired of how nonchalant this one acts whenever something’s wrong and it’s not GI stasis. 

• Wick & Fable
                                                                                    Moderator

… it seems very odd that not even blood work was considered. I’d definitely find a vet who’s encouraging of doing some diagnostic work.

I’ll also just note that the med course you mention isn’t what I’m familiar with for actually using ivermectin against ear mites: https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Mites

• Sterling
                                                                                      Participant

I’ll try to find a better one for sure. And I only see ivermectin mentioned as subcutaneous on that site, he gets it orally once a week for 4 weeks. Not sure if that’s right either but either way it doesn’t work.

• Katherine67
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                      2 posts Send Private Message

Hi, just want to let you know my experience.  My bun had similar symptoms.   The symptoms developed into EC.  Unfortunately my vet at the time did not want to give me Fenbendazole/Panacur but just put him on antibiotics which of course did not work and he developed severe EC.  A fellow member on a bunny site helped figure out the dosage of the Fenbendazole you can buy at feed stores for horses.  I had him on it for the 28 days and it helped but as soon as I stopped, he got worse very quickly.  I put him back on and he got better but then when I took him off again after a couple of months, he got worse again.  I ended giving it to him for another two years.  Caution is given because it may cause liver damage with prolonged use but I had his liver checked and it was always fine.  I am convinced it extended his life by two years.  I also had the same problem with the mites.  I finally gave him Revolution flea treatment for the mites and it killed them off after 3 treatments.

Another interesting thing I discovered about Fenbedazole.  Apparently it has been proven to kill cancer cells in cats and dogs.  I am convinced it would also work for cancer in bunnies.

• Sterling
                                                                                          Participant

Thanks for this. My own vet doesn’t want to give me revolution for the mites but I’ll be finding a new one that hopefully will. If I see any signs of regression after his first panacur treatment I’ll consult with the vet on continuing it.

• jerseygirl
                                                                                          Moderator
                                                                                          22338 posts Send Private Message

I wanted to mention Revolution also, so I’m glad it’s on your radar. From memory, ivermectin can treat ear mites but dosage is different to what is effective for fur mite. But it might be time to try the selamectin instead if a different vet is willing.
                                                                                            (((Fresno)))

(((

btw, that photo had me so confused until I worked out that was Nora 😄

• jerseygirl
                                                                                            Moderator
                                                                                            22338 posts Send Private Message

p.s. you had mentioned arthritis early in in the thread & wondering if he could be older then you thought. Certainly, he could be older but is also possible for early onset of arthritis. He’s also a larger breed that reach senior age sooner than compared to a dwarf breed.

Arthritis

• Sterling
                                                                                              Participant

I just got back from an appointment with a new vet and she did give me a prescription for Revolution but I’m not a fan of things she was telling me. She told me not to use pine pellets as litter because it’s toxic to them even though I told her it’s safe and not the pine shavings, she kept repeating that it’s toxic and not to use it. Then she told me not to keep their hay where their litter box is because they shouldn’t have to poop where they eat… WHAT?! They’re going to do that anyway no matter where I put it!

I also told her about his strange urinary incontinence and she said just to put another litter box down and he probably doesn’t want to pee in a box that already has a bunch of his pee in it. Funny, that doesn’t seem to be a problem with my other two bunnies…

I’m not very happy with her either.

• DanaNM
                                                                                                Moderator

That is very strange (especially concerning the hay and the litter box)! But glad you at least got the revolution prescription!

• Sterling
                                                                                                  Participant

Lol yes, a silver lining in an otherwise very frustrating situation.

• Sterling
                                                                                                    Participant

Had to order the Revolution online and it just came in today. One question – the vet said to give Fresno a 0.5 ml dose every 7 days. I purchased the tubes for 40-80 pound dogs (per her instructions). Does this sound correct?

• Sterling
                                                                                                      Participant

He’s a bit over 6 pounds

• LBJ10
                                                                                                        Moderator

Is this the 120 mg/L concentration? This should tell you how much to give: https://www.vgr1.com/revolution/

• Sterling
                                                                                                          Participant

Yes 120. I’m not sure what target dosage in mg/kg means on that calculator?

• LBJ10
                                                                                                            Moderator

“Typical” dosing is 12-18 mg/kg. However, sometimes vets will prescribe a lower dose depending on what you are trying to treat.

Viewing 45 reply threads
                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A I need help/input on what could be causing these symptoms