Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING I know my rabbit would benefit from a partner but bonding seems scary

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Fritter parent Avern
      Participant
      13 posts Send Private Message

My rabbit a 15 month old 4-5 pound female Rabbit that I have had for about 2 1/2 months now has gone to the point where I think she is mostly settled,  And like with most Rabbits I think she would benefit from a partner, But I’m worried because everyone says that boring is such a scary process to do and I’m still relatively young so I’m worried I’ll mess something up does anyone have advice?

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

It’s great you are doing some thinking before jumping into bonding! It can be stressful for first time bonders for sure, but the good thing is that even if you make some mistakes (which you certainly will), it’s likely that everything will still work out in the end. I made tons of mistakes my first time bonding and I still ended up with a very tightly bonded pair (the two in my avatar).

First thing to ask, is your rabbit spayed? If not, she will need to be spayed before attempting any bonding.

The other things to consider are whether you have time and space for another rabbit, including during the “pre-bonding” period where they will live side by side for a few weeks as well as during the bonding process. In rare cases where the bonding may not work out (due to the rabbits being a bad match), you should have a plan for the second rabbit (either keeping as two single buns or rehoming one). Some rescues help with bonding by doing speed dating and helping with initial dates, so you should inquire with local shelters if there are any near you.

It can be scary if rabbits try to fight during bonding, but if you are right there supervising (important during bonding), you will be able to intervene before they hurt each other. It’s important to try your best to prevent fighting during bonding, but of course things happen. In most cases as long as you are right there with them to stop the fighting, they will be fine. The really scary awful stuff  happens when people put the two rabbits in a cage and just walk away. 🙁

It’s also helpful to have support and someone to answer questions, which we are happy to provide here on the forum!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Fritter parent Avern
          Participant
          13 posts Send Private Message

Thank you so much for the advice I was able to go to a local small pet shelter in my area that offered speed dating (monitored by an expert which really eased my nerves) and as soon as they placed Fritter with the first bun she showed all of the positive signs (ignoring each other no chasing grooming themselves eating near each other with no fights) and the lady said that it was the easiest speed date she had ever done! So we took him home and named him berry

It was really scary at first when home since I no longer had backup from an expert but just a week later I had a successful Bond! It was honestly way easier than I expected (I kinda had a rare case since apparently it’s no normally that easy) but it was so worth it I now have two of the most amazing bunnies that are now absolutely in love with each other.

So for anyone who is in my situation go for it You never know how it will end up until you try!

• DanaNM
            8930 posts Send Private Message

Oh my gosh that’s awesome! Thanks for the update and congrats on the happy  pair!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING I know my rabbit would benefit from a partner but bonding seems scary