Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING I jinxed myself and it ended in blood shed.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
    • ADEE
      Participant
      499 posts Send Private Message

Today I was just posting how great the girls were getting along…. and then girls got in a bit of a tift this afternoon and we didn’t think anything of it… they have otherwise had no problems together, well tonight I came home to bloody tile, blankets and rabbits… needless to say they have been seperated and I think were going to go ahead and have Abbie spayed when her apt comes up on Sept 30th and slowly try again with bonding once shes fixed… thats the only thing i can think of for why they would start fighting now after all this time of getting along great.

Im pretty sure Rain won.
        Abbie definitely got the brunt of the fight resulting in some ouchy wounds

the wounds look moist due to treatment with Penicillin G, thanks to her breeder who sent Abbie with a tube of the wonder stuff we had it on hand!! She had various other scratches inside and outside her ears but these were the worst.

• Kaitlyn*[ily]*
        Participant
        145 posts Send Private Message

Oh, thats horrible, I hope they both heal soon. Hopefully they will be able to get along better once abby is spayed.

• Deleted User
          Participant
          22064 posts Send Private Message

oh wow, when you seperate them try to make to where they cant see each otheror they might get anktious and real jumpy. so sorry hope the do heal soon.

• ADEE
            Participant

Abbie is in another part of the house… they cannot see, smell or hear each other. Im so disapointed, i suppose we were living on borrowed time, we got lucky I suppose with as long as they went getting along. Now my new problem is Abbie has no problem at all jumping the baby gate… I suppose building yet another cage is in my very near future

• MimzMum
              Participant
              8029 posts Send Private Message

Oh poor bunnies and poor you! 0_0 I would’ve been a wreck, coming home to that!

Healing vibes coming your way! ((((((((((Abbie & Rain))))))))))))))

• Deleted User
                Participant

ahh well she is and english lop huh? I can tell by the ears in your other post. yea Fluffy did that when she was alive she had to be in the room by herself.

• ADEE
                  Participant

yeah, abbie is an EL… i know her ears are prone to injury… off to wal*mart to get more zip-ties

• Deleted User
                    Participant

yea, Fluffy was a french lop. good luck.

• TARM
                      Participant
                      1253 posts Send Private Message

Ooohhhh poor Abbie! Wow, after seeing that I’m rethinking the whole “keeping four bunnies in the same cage” idea I had.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                        Participant
                        12067 posts Send Private Message

Wow that stinks….Keep an eye for infection (same signs as in people) and watch that they are eating and pooping!

You can wash wounds with a fifty fifty peroxide water misture, and treat topically with neosporin/polysporin. You can wrap with vetwrap as well.

• RachelF
                          Participant
                          287 posts Send Private Message

aww I hope they get better soon! thats awful!

• kimberleyanddarren
                            Participant
                            2520 posts Send Private Message

oh no thats awful, did you have to go the vet? poor u and poor bunnies! keep us posted ****vibes*****

• Beka27
                              Participant
                              16016 posts Send Private Message

oh no! well. it happens. you didn’t do anything wrong, it’s not uncommon for bonds to break once one reaches puberty.

• ADEE
                                Participant

I didnt take the girls to the vet because i have alot of vet tech / vet assistance history behind me… I worked for a small animal vet for many many years, I also have a very close friend who is the head vet at a clinic about 20 minutes from our house, if ever we have problems we contact her and ask her for help, if its something out of my hands or something im not comfortable treating myself (when abbie had a cold and was on baytril for 14dys) i take them to the vet… She looks so beat up poor girly… I did rebuild both girls cages, the cages are smaller then before but at least they have their own space to call home. I have redone our balcony too and even used the left over NIC grids to make an additional barrier protecting our screen so one girl can play in the living room while the other plays on the balcony in nice weather. Im hoping once Abbie is spayed we can work on intros again.. it stinks having two separate cages but you do what you have to do… Im just glad I had the know-how to build these cages!!Believe it or not the scratches,missing hair, exc already looks better today… Their hair is a bit greasy from the meds but otherwise they look much much better.

• kimberleyanddarren
                                  Participant
                                  2520 posts Send Private Message

aw glad to hear they are mending ***vibes***

• ADEE
                                    Participant

thanks!!!

• Lightchick
                                      Participant
                                      1017 posts Send Private Message

Oh, poor buns! Definitely poor you, too! I hope the two of them can be re-bonded and be friends again…

• MimzMum
                                        Participant
                                        8029 posts Send Private Message

I know what you mean about two cages. It really stinks. On ice. I have had to have Mim and Pip separated for a while now because their bonding wasn’t going so well, but I’ve always had separate night pens. twice the work but worth it if it keeps the peace.
                                          The more I learn about bunnies and their constant mishaps, the more I think I should get some vet training. I envy you the knowledge and the friend who shares the interest with you. You are really in a great place! ^_^

• ADEE
                                          Participant

Thanks Mimzmom… i have always had a love for animals and LOVED every minute working at the vet, there was always something going on, new interesting cases, surgeries, exc. I learned ALOT there… I also worked for an exotics vet who often had emus, reptiles, monkeys, exc coming in.. now that was awesome!

UPDATE: Abbie and Rain had playtime together for the first time since their mishap, Abbie spent the entire time mounting and chasing Rain, I think its safe to say her hormones have come out. There was no fighting but there sure was alot of chasing, enough to make me realize separating them was the best thing until Abbie is spayed, she is just so much bigger then Rain, I honestly cant believe Rain tore into her the way she did, im sure Abbie could do ALOT more damage then what was done. I think were going to keep her spay date as Sept 30th, although she will be only 4mos (6mos is advisable for large breed rabbits) I just think she will be happier to get done sooner then later. Both girls are healing beautifully, thanks so much everyone for the healing vibes, turns out they are working great

Viewing 18 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING I jinxed myself and it ended in blood shed.