Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE I feel like such a bad pet sitter!!

Viewing 49 reply threads
  • Author
    • bigsis7
      Participant
      732 posts Send Private Message

So I am taking care of this bunny Spinner and her owner forgot a cage. So I have no where to keep her except the cat carrier. I only have 1 week left to take care of her so my mom doesn’t want to go buy a cage. Spinner’s owner also doesn’t have a water bottle for her to drink from. Just a bowl. I have a fairly big box (22, 22, 22) that I could keep her in, just I would have to keep the top closed. And to top it off I am leaving tommorow and won’t be home until very late, so I won’t be able to play with Spinner. HELP!!

• bigsis7
        Participant

She is also shivering right now. Is this normal. Her owner also left just a bit of bedding and I have no way of cleaning and putting it in the cat carrier without breaking part of my body!! I am using a towel right now, but it is not working very well.

• charlie82
          Participant
          295 posts Send Private Message

Hi,

When you say box do you mean cardboard or are you referring to the cat carrier? It isn’t humane to keep a rabbit in a cardboard box for any length of time, especially if you have to close the lid. A box that size is a very small space to keep a bunny and is there no part of your house you could keep her? either a bedroom/bathroom etc. If you leave her in a room with the cat carrier open she will most likely use it as a toilet and refuge but won’t be confined to a small space.

She is most likely shivering due to stress. No offence, but your friend should have made it their priority to ensure their rabbit was going to have somewhere comfortable to live and I’m not sure how they managed to ‘forget’ the cage. Going away from home to a bunny is a very stressful affair so she needs to be somewhere quiet and warm so she can adjust in peace. Keeping her in a little box if she is not used to such confined spaces is likely to upset her even more.

Good on you for offering to look after the bunny but please don’t confine her to such a small space for long periods of time.

• bigsis7
            Participant

If I keep her in a bathroom she licks at the pipes of the toilet (gross). By box I mean a card board box. She is not toilet trained and when I let her free range she poops everywhere!!!!! I am also concerned about when she goes back with her owner because she doesn’t know much about bunnies and she is a college student!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
              Participant
              12067 posts Send Private Message

You need to address the shivering first and now!! Are her ears cold???

• LittlePuffyTail
                18092 posts Send Private Message

If I remember correctly you said you had done a lot of research on rabbits? I think you should do your absolute best to educate your friend on the care of his/her bunny. An well meaning but uneducated owner is sometimes as bad as a neglectful owner. Rabbits are way more complex than people think.

• charlie82
                  Participant
                  295 posts Send Private Message

hmm I agree. It worries me that your friend doesn’t seem to understand the need of the bunny and yes the shivering needs attention as it isn’t normal.

Personally I would line the floor in the bathroom with newspaper and keep her in there. She will initially toilet everywhere because it is a new environment. Far better to clean up some mess than have the bunny in a box.

• Sarita
                    Participant
                    18851 posts Send Private Message

Are you keeping her in the house? I agree even the bathroom is better than in a box. Is she eating and pooping? Water in a bowl is fine and natural. Are you keeping the area you keep her clean? The box is an awful idea. Can you put a litterbox in the bathroom with her?

• JK
                      Participant
                      2223 posts Send Private Message

If I were you, I would buy an xpen or cage and then have your friend reimburse you for it!  What about food?  Did she bring any? What are you feeding the bunny? That’s really extremely irresponsible on your friend’s part. In fact, if she didn’t bring a litter box, litter or any hay I would get her to reimburse you for that too.  That poor little rabbit will be miserable without the basics! 

• Scarlet_Rose
                        Participant
                        4293 posts Send Private Message

I too would really like to see you place the rabbit in the bathroom or buy an x-pen. A carboard box is not humane for a rabbit to live in, are you able to offer the rabbit the right food and hay? To be honest a bowl is just fine for a rabbit to get water from and they do not have to have a water bottle.

• MarkBun
                          Participant
                          2842 posts Send Private Message

Don’t worry about her licking the pipes. Bunnies do that sometimes anyways. Mine likes to lick a 100 year old blacksmithing ladle. As for poops everywhere, at least they’re easy to sweep up and you can put them into a makeshift litter box that has torn up newspaper and some hay on top. Maybe the bun will get the idea.

• elle.em.gee
                            Participant
                            23 posts Send Private Message

I agree with Markusdark, if you’re really worried about the bunny licking the pipes, wipe them with some white vinegar.

• bigsis7
                              Participant

Ok. I am just worried about keeping her in a bathroom, because I have younger siblings that use it. I really want to teach Spinner’s owner the basics, but she is 6-7 years older then me! I have refered her to some good web sites, but you never know if they actually read them. She did give me food, hay, and bedding (carefresh) for the litterbox, but that is pretty much it. I am just wprried about the bowl because she snorts and gags after drinking.

• Scarlet_Rose
                                Participant

Hmm, you didn’t mention the snorting and gagging after drinking water. That is really odd. Is Spinner sneezing at all with any discharge? Hmm, younger siblings in the house could potentially let the rabbit out of the bathroom. Say do you have a baby pen around the house that isn’t being used anymore, since you mentioned younger siblings? That would make a great enclosure. Even temporarily you can buy some wire cube storage panels and zip-tie them toegether or make a cage out of them for not a lot of $. I think I would just go ahead and take the initiative and buy a better cage for the rabbit, but I realize it is harder for you to do that since you are not old enough to drive yet. Will anyone be going on errands soon?

I know it can be hard to educate people older than you, but you have done your best, just be gentle and patient and keep nudging in the right direction. Hopefully they will come around.

• Gravehearted
                                  Participant
                                  2428 posts Send Private Message

ok if she is gagging after she drinks and shivering, I would start to have some serious health concerns. Are her ears cold?
                                    A healthy non-stressed bunny shouldn’t be doing either of those things. A lot of bunnies use bowls and not bottles, so that should not be making her gag.

I agree with the others – wipe down the pipes with white vinegar and let her have the bathroom. Leaving her in a box or a cat carrier for a week is not a good idea at all.

I understand that this girl may be 6 or 7 years older than you, but I also know that you’ve become attached to Spinner and want her to have a good life. If you really think she won’t go to the sites, then maybe print out some info for her.

• bigsis7
                                    Participant

She does sneeze, but I am not sure if there is any discharge. We might have a baby pen around, but I am not sure. I feel horrible about keeping her in the cat carrier for so long, but my mom says that since there is only a week left that Spinner will be ok. I will keep talking to my mom about it though!

• bigsis7
                                      Participant

The inside and tps\of her ears are cold! It is 68 degrees fairinheit where she is kept.
                                        is this to cold??

• Gravehearted
                                        Participant
                                        2428 posts Send Private Message

no 68 degrees is not too cold for a rabbit at all, but if her ears are very cold it’s not good at all.
                                          Do you have a heating pad that you can wrap in a towel for her?

You need to make your mom understand that it is cruel and unhealthy for her to be a tiny cat carrier for a week.

• JK
                                          Participant

No it’s not ok to stay in that carrier for even a day longer.  If I were closer, I’m in California, I’d buy you an xpen!  Is there anyone you can borrow one from?

• bigsis7
                                            Participant

Her ears are not very cold. I think we have a old heating pad.

• bigsis7
                                              Participant

I don’t know of anyone I could borrow one from.

• bigsis7
                                                Participant

ok. I found a baby play pen and now have Spinner in it. It is about 3-4 feet long so she has lots of room! Yay!!

• Scarlet_Rose
                                                  Participant

Woohoo that’s great! Do you have an old sheet you can put under it to help elminate your clean-up time? I too am a bit concerned about the health of the rabbit. Stress can also cause some of these problems as well and I think it would be best to have a rabbit savvy vet give the rabbit a check-up as soon as you can. Maybe you can persuade the owner to do that, just mention that you are concerned about the health of the rabbit. If the rabbit is gagging, have you watched him drink? Does he submerge too much of his nose?

• bigsis7
                                                    Participant

i did put a sheet on it. When Spinner drinks she puts her wholde nose in sometimes. I am not sure if it is gagging but that is what it sounds like.

• Scarlet_Rose
                                                      Participant

Hmm, I am wondering now if this might be an inexperienced bunny with water in a bowl who gets water in the nose. You might want to try getting another shallow dish or container with low sides to put water in (non-breakable) and see if that helps. Is there any discharge from the eyes?

• bigsis7
                                                        Participant

I don’t see any discarge from her eyes.

• bigsis7
                                                          Participant

I’ll try finding a shallow dish

• Scarlet_Rose
                                                            Participant

You’re doing great! Does he have any hay to eat (sorry I don’t recall)?

• bigsis7
                                                              Participant

Yes she gets a lot of hay every day!

• Scarlet_Rose
                                                                Participant

O.K. cool! How is Spinner doing now in the nice big play area? Do you have a few toys in there too? I bet it’s great seeing him in there!

• Beka27
                                                                  Participant
                                                                  16016 posts Send Private Message

i apologize for my post. 

• Scarlet_Rose
                                                                    Participant

O.K. time to take a step back, I know this is frustrating but here is a reminder:

BOARD ETIQUETTE:

Be Respectful & Kind: No Flames Allowed. Flames, and posts that belittle, criticize, or threaten other members will not be tolerated. This does not mean that you cannot voice an opposing viewpoint, but if you do so, please express your opposing view without being rude, sarcastic, critical, antagonistic or threatening. A good way to express an opposing view point is to make sure you stick with what you would do, why you believe the way you do, but don’t pick apart why someone else is wrong.

Please flag any posts that are rude, belittle,critical, and/or antaganistic. (you will remain anonymous)

How to Deal with Disagreements and Personality Conflicts:

It is extremely easy for miscommunications to happen within an online text format. Without tones and body language to guide us, text can often relay a different message to us than what the author actually intended. If you feel you could have misunderstood, then just ask the person to clarify.

However, if you feel positive that someone was being outright rude and/or you have a particular problem with a post, reply or a member, please contact a moderator instead of replying to the person or post. (if the complaint is about moderator, then contact BinkyBunny). Do not start or engage in a rude disagreement online, (even if you feel the person has antagonized you first) . Do not contact the member directly about your complaint. Let us handle that. If a particular post is involved, please copy and paste the post to the email, and provide the link. Do not ONLY link it as the post can be changed by the member later. You will remain anonymous.

• bigsis7
                                                                      Participant

Beka27 that is not harsh. You are right. I know I should have asked my mom, but I didn’t know we had a baby play pen. I am equipped to take her to the vet if something happens. I have been trying to find a cage and play pen and posted every where! CL, freecycle, ect, nobody had anything! I thank you for your concern Beka.

• bigsis7
                                                                        Participant

Scarletrose- Spinner loves the room! It is lots of fun to see her be able to stretch out! I have a few toys in there to keep her stimulated!

• JK
                                                                          Participant

That’s fantastic!  Great job.  You made my night!

• Scarlet_Rose
                                                                            Participant

That’s awesome! Be sure to keep an eye on Spinner for anything unusual like not eating pooing, drinking or peeing or if that gagging continues.  Do you know of a rabbit savvy vet in the area or can we help you out with that?

• bigsis7
                                                                              Participant

That is ok Beka. I do that sometimes too! Have a great rest of today (tonight?)!

• bigsis7
                                                                                Participant

I am pretty sure there is a exotic vet only a while away from my house. It would be great if you guys could help too if anything ever happens!

• Scarlet_Rose
                                                                                  Participant

O.K. I took a quick look around and here is what I found as far a vets go:

http://www.rabbitsinthehouse.org/vets.html

If it does get concerning, you can also give the HRS there a call (the link takes you to their web site).  Under contacts you can highlight HRS contacts.

O.K. well I need to go to bed now, I have to get up early for work. I hope that everything continues to go well and Spinner does great.  Please keep us updated!

• bigsis7
                                                                                    Participant

Ok. Thanks for your help Scarlet Rose. It is probably time for me to go to bed to!

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                      2517 posts Send Private Message

bigsis7- I just wanted to tell you that it’s great that you’re trying so hard to take good care of your friend’s bunny. Thanks for listening to all the tips that everyone is giving you and trying hard to get everything right for the bunny. I hope things are looking up!

• Scarlet_Rose
                                                                                        Participant

Bigsis, how are things going? Has the gagging after drinking subsided?

• bigsis7
                                                                                          Participant

Yes! She is no longer gagging, just sneezing after she drinks the water. Yay!

• Scarlet_Rose
                                                                                            Participant

That’s great! How is Spinner taking to the pen now? All comfy and cozy?

• bigsis7
                                                                                              Participant

Yes she loves cuddling on the blankets. Ok so I put a towel over this blanket so she wouldn’t get pee all over the blanket, right? Well she pulled the towel off the corners and peed all over the blanket! LOL!! Oh well I can wash it later. She has a lot more spunk now too! She hasn’t played with her toys yet but likes to flip her food dishes and scoot her litterbox every where!

• Scarlet_Rose
                                                                                                Participant

Awe what a stinker! That is definately typical rabbit behavior! You might want to soak up some of the urine with a paper towel and place it in the litter box to begin litter training and be sure to place a little hay on top too. : ) That’s great things are going well!

• Sarita
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                  18851 posts Send Private Message

She certainly sounds happier – you are doing a great job!

• bigsis7
                                                                                                    Participant

She is a lot happier! She loves to binky around when she is free ranging! All the pooping on the floor drives me crazy, but it is easy to clean up.

• Scarlet_Rose
                                                                                                      Participant

Awe that is just too sweet!

• lygray
                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                        107 posts Send Private Message

She might be gagging because the bowl is too deep and the water level is low. If her nose touches the water then fill it up a little more. My bun did that but I filled the bowl and she stopped. An idea for a temporary cage is if you have those metal cube shelf things that you put together, you can make like a pen or maybe a bigger cage so at least your mother might be more comfortable. Also, If you absolutely cannot change the buns living situation (cat carrier or box), Let the bun out for like four hours a day. Like while your doing your homework or watching TV. Just watch her/him, keep her/him near you.

My mother always loved to look at cute animals but doesnt understand the concept that they are living creatures that need to run around and stuff so she constantly tried and still tries to control everything and everywhere they go. She wont let me put another litter box anywhere outside my room because she thinks the buns will feel that it is ok to run around and pee. She is trying to make me keep them only in my room when they are so used to being free. It sucks but at least this wont last long for you. If you cannot convince your mother to let her out in a room or bathroom. At least let the bun out some time of the day for a few hours. It is still very inhumane to keep a bun in such a confined living space for a week.

Viewing 49 reply threads
                                                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE I feel like such a bad pet sitter!!