Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A I feel a small lump on Rye’s side…like a poop under his skin

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lion_Lop_Lover
      Participant
      971 posts Send Private Message

OK.

I’m worried.

I was sitting here watching TV and noticed Rye was lying in his litterbox, which is weird. He got up and sat there, then lay down outside the box, then sat up and got back in the box, then out and lay down. So I grabbed him and felt his tummy, but it felt normal…and then as I was feeling around, on his left side, about behind where his hind leg curve is … like, when they sit normally and there’s the big bump in their leg, in behind that, I felt a “poop sized” lump. moveable, felt just like a hard poop under his skin.

I put him down to wander and being the territorial brat he is he has pooped approximately 30 times in the past 10 minutes running around…so he’s obviously not having trouble pooing.

But…this lump…has me slightly worried. Can you feel poops in a bunny? Or…what do I do?

He is almost 8 months old, unneutered male lop.

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

Lion_Lop I would say take him in to have a vet look at it. It could be an abcess and it’s best to have it checked out as it defiantely does not sound normal.

• MimzMum
          Participant
          8029 posts Send Private Message

Well, I can’t speak to bunnies, but I remember feeling my lump. But I wouldn’t have particularly classified it as movable, it was pretty much staying put…so I would try my best not to jump to any conclusions that it is a tumor or anything.
            I can’t imagine being able to feel poops in a bunny. But then although your description is very thorough, I just can’t picture where it is you’re talking about. Do you mean on top of the rear leg or underneath it or where?
            I am more worried about the in and out of the box thing. Is he peeing okay? Is he straining? Is there any signs of sludge? You said he’s been leaving bb’s around the room, but is he under any apparent discomfort doing so?

• Lion_Lop_Lover
            Participant

Okay.
              This morning I came out and he was just lying there…usually everyone is excited for food time – jumping and running. But he just lay there as I got everyone’s food. I put the bowl in his cage and he is lying there facing the wall.
              Something’s definitely up, and my vet is closed today. They have “Emergency services” but it is on rotation with different vet hospitals in the city and I would not feel comfortable having one of the other vets look at him – because my vet is the best exotic in the city.

Argh. Crap… I don’t know what to do. I do not want to risk having some dog/cat emergency vet look at him and then be charged for it.

Mimz – he was having no trouble at all pooping yesterday night. He had an appetite and everything, ate hay, was grooming himself, etc.

I’m worried that maybe something was wrong with the hay…but everyone else is fine…because I get my hay from my horse barn, not from the store. But everyone else is fine.

• Lion_Lop_Lover
              Participant

OK.
                I picked him up and put him on the floor to see what he would do – as usually he heads straight for Yuuki’s cage to bb gun shoot poops at Yuuki. Anyway, he immediately started hopping around, but no poops. But he is marking with his chin, he groomed himself, is running and a few moments ago he pooped – yay! – I saw it come out of his butt!
                And just now he stopped and is eating hay on the floor.

It’s hard to tell what his poop/pee track has been like, because he only uses his litterbox 20% of the time, the rest he poops wherever and it ends up flicked all over the cage/floor (NIC cage with no guards on the bottom).

• Lion_Lop_Lover
                Participant

Okay, he has peed…several times. >.<
                  I just got up to go clean out his pen completely to watch for poops and pees, and found several wet pee stains in my carpet (one looks like a normal pee and the second looks like he tried to spray Jazz’s cage).
                  Next to the pee was a nice wet, recent poop.

• Lion_Lop_Lover
                  Participant

Ok. Just put him back in his cage and he immediately started drinking. *is timing it* OK. He drank for 35 seconds.
                    I gave him a whole bunch of new hay, cleaned his cage completely out and his litterbox, gave him his pellets.

• Lion_Lop_Lover
                    Participant

After I posted, he started drinking yet again. On and off he’s been drinking water for like, over a minute.
                      So, he has peed, he pooped (I saw it), he is drinking, he ate some hay off the floor…

• Beka27
                      Participant
                      16016 posts Send Private Message

i would keep a close eye on him (like you’ve been doing) and see if the vet can see him tomorrow.  i think the vets can feel the poops, or at least my vet said she could when she was feeling Mead’s tummy.  but it doesn’t seem like pooping is an issue…

• babybunsmum
                        Participant
                        3896 posts Send Private Message

i agree… doesn’t seem like a pooping issue or an issue that needs emerg vet attention.  imho i’d wait until your trusted vet is available & then take him in to have the lump looked at.  baby’s lump started as a nipple getting bigger & bigger & it wasn’t a shifty-under-ther-skin type of lump at all.  it stayed put.  so try not to worry too much just yet (not easy, i, of all people know this)… rabbits can get fatty lumps too can’t they? 

• Lion_Lop_Lover
                          Participant

Ok, good news – he is eating hay for sure. He’s also drinking still and he’s pooping.
                            He’s acting more normal too…phew.

• rabbitsmba
                            Participant
                            475 posts Send Private Message

It actually is possible to feel poops in the cecum – my vet showed me how – but from what you described, thats not where they’d be. It sounds like he is fine for today but I would definitely take him to the vet to see what this lump is that you have found. Sometimes they just end up being fat deposits and are nothing to worry about.

• Gravehearted
                              Participant
                              2428 posts Send Private Message

oo how scary! why do these kinds of things always seem to happen on the weekend? i am glad to hear he’s eating ok, but hope you’ll be able to get him checked out ASAP and everything will be ok.

• LittlePuffyTail
                                18092 posts Send Private Message

Hope your little lop is okay. Have you taken him to the vet?

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                  Participant
                                  12067 posts Send Private Message

How’s your poopy boy doing LL?

• Lion_Lop_Lover
                                    Participant

Despite acting quite normal yesterday into the night, this morning he was just lying down…no interest in food but many poops in his cage. He’s been breathing quite rapidly. I took him out and massaged his belly, and I cannot find the lump I found yesterday – maybe it was a poop?
                                      I did massage his tummy quite deeply, and I felt a little lineup of poops in his gut – I swear.

Right now he’s lying down with his face jammed in the side of the cage…looking really tired and miserable

• Lion_Lop_Lover
                                      Participant

OK, I just called the vet and have an appointment at 4, in less than an hour.
                                        I hope he’s okay…

I will keep you guys updated.

• Beka27
                                        Participant
                                        16016 posts Send Private Message

i’ve said before but i really don’t see how people can keep rabbits outside and feel okay with that. if LL had not known exactly how Rye acts, she would have had no idea something was wrong. sigh…

good luck LL. feel better Rye.

• Lion_Lop_Lover
                                          Participant

It’s true – as soon as he didn’t leap against the bars for his morning food yesterday I knew something was up.

I leave in 5 minutes…will keep you guys updated.

• xnovalentine
                                            Participant
                                            309 posts Send Private Message

i know i just talked to you, but i lullabelle and i send our love and healing vibes to rye! Hang in there rye!

• kimberleyanddarren
                                              Participant
                                              2520 posts Send Private Message

send vibes keep us posted!!

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A I feel a small lump on Rye’s side…like a poop under his skin