Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A I don’t think he likes me

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • angoralvr
      Participant
      500 posts Send Private Message

I have only had Henri for about three weeks now. Every day he is out of his cage for atleast six or seven hours. I have noticed that when I open his cage, he normally goes on his hop around the house (it’s like he is checking to see if everything is still in it’s place really) and then he comes back to either his cage or one of his favorite spots and plops down. He plays with the cats but he doesn’t really seem to like me. I think he is mad at me because he is not that fond of being brushed and I brush him everyday to make sure he doesn’t end up matted. He’s an angora though so the brushing is pretty much a necessity. I spend a lot of time on the ground where he has acess to me. Sometimes he will follow me around the house, but normally he ignores me. When he does come over to me, it is just to bump me with his nose and then run away. HELP! Am I making him mad somehow? It isn’t that I want him to be really cuddly, I just don’t want him to hate me. What am I doing wrong?

Melissa

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Melissa, you are doing everything right.

Alot of what you are doing is projecting (and that is very normal) how you think he feels based on what you think he is feeling because that is how you are feeling. Based on what I know about rabbits many of them just like to “hang out” with their families and “ignore” them because they feel very comfortable with them and I believe that is what Henri is doing. Projecting our feelings to our animals is normal – working in rescue I see this all the time and try to tell potential adopters that we cannot expect rabbits (or animals) to have feelings exactly as we do or to react to certain scenarios the way we think they should act. For instance, in bonding 2 rabbits we cannot expect them to “fall in love” like humans do.

Because rabbits have that prey instinct they must feel comfortable and trust you and I think based on what you say, that is how Henri must feel.

I think it is great that he follows you around that house – he must feel comfortable there. I think too that when he is bumping you with his nose and running away it is a game for him, he’s playing with you.

And while he may not appreciate the initial brushing I bet he must feel good that his fur is not all matted and he is well groomed.

• angoralvr
          Participant

I read somewhere that Angoras are the ragdolls of the rabbit world. Pretty sure that’s a cat referrence and rag dolls are supposed to be one of the calmest breeds of cat. I guess some of his behavior is just his personality. He is definately not a high strung or hyper rabbit! I have seen him do a few binkies though so I guess he can’t be too mad at me.

• Sarita
            Participant

I’ve heard that about angora’s too that they are very easy going rabbits – I’ve never had one but that’s the what I’ve heard from owners. I think it was Margo de Mello (House Rabbit Society) that said in one of her articles that angoras are kooky or something to that effect and she meant that in a nice way :~)

The only long-haired buns I have had are Jersey Woolies (which are a netherland dwarf/angora mix) and Fuzzy Lop so they didn’t have the same easy going nature that angoras are known to have.

I would love to see Henri’s binkies! I bet that is too cute.

• wendyzski
              Participant
              1312 posts Send Private Message

Nose-bonking can be a sign of affection, a request for attention, or an order to move, depending on context.

Check the "Language Of Lagomorphs" link or google it – it will really give you insights into what he is "saying".  Bunnies have a fairly complex body language, and to find out what they are feeling you need to learn to understand it.  You can even learn to "speak" back in broken bunny-ese if they are doing something they ought not to.

Pepper is not a snuggle bun and generally ignores me most of the time.  But I’ve been traveling a lot and she was sulking and acting out.  I started sleeping on the couch, and having me around like that definitely made a change in her behavior.  She has recently started licking my pillows.  I know that means she is showing affection by "grooming" something that smells like me.

Bunnies show affection in less obvious ways than dogs or cats.  You need to learn how to look for it.

• maghy7
                Participant
                68 posts Send Private Message

Yes! you should definitely try the web-site wendyzski gave you it helps you understand their language, when he pushes you with his nose he is definitely asking for attention, either playing or wants for you to pet him.

Good Luck!

• Sarita
                  Participant

http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk.html

Here’s the link for the Language of Lagomorphs – it’s a fun read!

• angoralvr
                    Participant

Thank you guys for the information. I started reading that site but I don’t have a lot of time at work so i am doing some major printing so I can take it home to read. Are there any books you can buy out there that you guys find to be really helpful?

Melissa

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                      Participant
                      12067 posts Send Private Message

Honestly I would not bother buying a book. I’ve looked for a decent Rabbit book for over a  year; Online and in stores…You can find way better information on the internet. Books seem to just charge you for cute picturs of bunnies that are glossy! Even the "for dummies" book isn’t great.

That link she gave you is fantastic. Also the house rabbit society http://www.rabbit.org and three bunnies http://www.3bunnies.org are awesome resources! Just spend time on the internet and make sure you evaluate the resource you are reading (ie. is it a real site?)

I would say, since he is nose poking you and running away, he is probobly saying "chase me!!"

Try chasing him, in a goofy non-threatening way, and see what he does; He is probobly just trying to play

• kralspace
                        Participant
                        2663 posts Send Private Message

“Language Of Lagomorphs is the greatest site for a newbie. I printed out the pages and spent a Sat. night on the floor reading them and playing with Pringles, who at that time was acting like your baby. I started tryng the self grooming, head wagging and all (without anyone around!) and the rabbit started responding to me. or I should say I was responding to Pringles. It was a blast and really improved our relationship. I’ve accepted she’s Queen and worship her accordingly…..lol

• Scarlet_Rose
                          Participant
                          4293 posts Send Private Message

I like "The House Rabbit Handbook: How to Live with an Urban Rabbit" by Marinell Harriman. I also frequently use a book called "Rabbit Health 101" from my local HRS.  You can take a gander at it here as it is the only place that carries it, it is a kind of independent publication deal:

http://www.coloradohrs.com/gifts.asp?cat=7

I find that while the internet is a great place, a book is very handy too, especially if I just feel like resting my weary eyes from a computer screen.

• Gravehearted
                            Participant
                            2428 posts Send Private Message

I would also recommend the House Rabbit Handbook, it’s the best I’ve seen too. The Language of Lagomorphs is such fun to read and very informative. There really is a lot of great info online – but i tend to prefer articles by vets or sources I trust like rabbit.org and some rabbit rescues.

It can take some time to bond with a bunny. laying on the floor and ignoring them is a great way to pique their interest. try hand feeding him his veggies. as you’re grooming him, stroke him also and make sure to tell him he’s a good bun. you might also give him a treat afterwards as a reward.
                              The nose pokes are a good sign, it’s like hey – i’m here! hello!

• MooBunnay
                              Participant
                              3087 posts Send Private Message

My most recent adoption is a teeny bunny named Nilla Bean, and she acts the exact same way. When I sit at my computer she will come over and poke my feet and even groom them, but if I lean over to pet her she runs away. I think the motion of some big hand coming down at her startles her because she doesn’t really realize the hand is attached to the same person as the feet. If your bun follows you around sometimes that is a great sign, and also the nose pokes are good signs that you are well liked by your bunny. If a bunny doesn’t like you, you will definitely know it because they will sit with their butt to you and refuse to acknowledge you but even that is usually cured with a treat.

One way that I’ve really gotten Nilla Bean to learn how to not be afraid of me petting her is by giving her a treat or some veg, and then petting her verrry slowly while she eats it. This also works when I give her pellets, and pretty much any time I approached her for about 3 weeks I brought either a few pellets, or some veg, or a treat. Now when I open the door to the room where she lives she runs right up to me and basically stands on my feet trying to see what I’ve brought. If I didn’t bring anything and just want to pet her, first I slowly put my hand in front of her and let her sniff it – then I slowly give her pets on the forehead and nose. Any sudden movements tend to startle her and she’ll give a little high pitched grunt and run away (its actually cute and her grunts are not very threatening – she does only weigh 1.1 lbs!)

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A I don’t think he likes me