Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE I CANNOT get this medicine out of her fur lol

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Alisha
      Participant
      202 posts Send Private Message

The vet said it was safe to use dawn soap so I soaked a towel with warm water and dawn soap and scrubbed and scrubbed and the fur is not unmatting. haha I don’t know how I’ll do it but I’m thinking I’ll have to cut that fur off or something. It’s just hard hard balls of fur right now. Any ideas before I resort to cutting it off? 

***also is it okay if just in case I didn’t rinse it well enough, that she licks any leftover soap?? I’m a little paranoid.

• Sarah
        Participant
        44 posts Send Private Message

Hi there!
          It’s never a good idea to cut a matt off of an animal with scissors. When you pull the matt from the skin, you stretch the skin and you could cut a hole in their skin without even realizing it. What I do for my bunny is I use a comb and lightly tug at the top of the matt, detangling it little by little. Do not start at the bottom of underneath the matt and just pull up because you will really hurt the bun. I would also wait until the matt is dry since wet hair is more fragile.

This is the comb that I use:
          https://store.binkybunny.com/mobile/hairbuster-p116.aspx
          Hope this helps

• Alisha
          Participant

Thanks for the advice, didn’t think about a comb. I have a couple for her. Not sure how well it’ll work though since the matting is in such tiny sections :/

• Bunny House
            Participant
            1241 posts Send Private Message

any soap at all is bad for buns, I suggest baby wipes or dog wipes that are unscented if needed to get meds off of hair but a warm wet washcloth and let it soak on the fur will break it down and come off without using harsh soaps. And is this the vet you took her to for her spay? They keep giving you bad advice :/. Were you able to find a better tabby savvy vet near you?

• Alisha
              Participant

This is the most savvy vet in the entire state and I know they wash animals like ducks and such at rescue centers with dawn dish soap so I know it has to be pretty safe. I just wanted to ask her to hear what she thinks from a professional point of view and she says that would be great as long as it’s not a special scented kind and just the original.

• Kiki
                Participant
                205 posts Send Private Message

Ok, so my cat had bad mats once. You will have to google the exact substance but I think it is cornstarch, you pour a little on there and gently rub it in and eventually it should start to work its way out. It took a bit, but it did eventually work

• Q8bunny
                  Participant
                  6345 posts Send Private Message

The best thing for “felted” mats is clippers – small battery operated ones for beards or bikini trims are the perfect size and not scary loud. Also can be found on sale for around $20.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE I CANNOT get this medicine out of her fur lol