Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE I am sooo mad right now …….Don’t buy peach Wood Sticks

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • Kokaneeandkahlua
      Participant
      12067 posts Send Private Message

I am so mad right now I am flipping out.

I was just reading my first issue of "bunny mad’ a great magazine I just got from the UK, and I noticed that it said peach wood was toxic to rabbits. A misprint I thought…so I looked it up…it is toxic…hmmm

THING IS I JUST BOUGHT PEACH WOOD STICKS FOR MY BUNNIES FROM A PETSTORE, AS A PRODUCT FOR RABBITS

I am furious!!!

I wrote the company (who I won’t name so as not to put myself in an actionable position, but lets say-ahem *nudge nudge* that they thing "PETS" are "SUPER’ ahem) telling them I wanted "rabbits’ pulled off their product label (it says for rabbits, hamsters, chinchillas etc) immediately (since it also says ‘completely safe" on the back) or I would pursue them legally….I will keep everyone posted on what they say but

I really wanted to warn everyone not to buy or to remove it if you have bought it….I AM SOO FURIOUS THOUGH!!! *pant pant*

• pyrobat
        Participant
        9 posts Send Private Message

I’ve noticed that as well here because I wanted something for my rabbits to chew on. Thankfully we caught that before we gave it to them, but it is really odd how they could market toxic woods as safe for rabbits.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
          Participant

I know!!! I was just on the phone with my mom (like I said I’m fuming) and she pointed out that tomatoes are toxic to dogs and pretty much all the “natural” dog treats have them (or onions-also toxic) listed on the ingredients…

You’d think you could buy products for your pets at the pet store…I guess not !! GRrrr…

• Floppy
            Participant
            490 posts Send Private Message

good thing i havent tried those, just apple sticks for floppy.

• BinkyBunny
              8776 posts Send Private Message

Actually this is what I found about Peach wood – basically toxic when still attached to the tree, but if properly and thoroughly dried then they are okay – (according to the house rabbit society)

Below is a snippet about "toxic woods" from a House Rabbit Society Article.

Aren’t some woods toxic?Fruit tree branches, such as, apricot and peach are toxic while attached to the tree but not after they’re cut and dried (a month or more). Lisa McSherry and Rusty Fayter, who package The Busy Bunny baskets, share this research. Another tip they offer for your bunny’s safety is to keep your purchases of imported baskets limited to willow, the only basket material not sprayed with pesticide.To see the article in it’s entirety – http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/chewing.html#carpet

HOWEVER – in other research peach is still stated as toxic, but then again, they don’t clarify if it’s fresh of the tree or not. 

This is something that I will continue to research and see if I can find a definite answer and if anyone else has anymore info about this, please share!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                Participant

Yes…I have actually contacted the company (Lisa and Rusty at Busy bunny) as I saw that as well…She told me they dont’ sell any wood but apple anymore…she is getting back to me about where she heard it was OK if properly dried out…
                  I am doing hard research now as I want real scientific journals backing me up when I take on this company (and the pet stores…I am asking that they pull the product)… And I will keep everyone posted on what transpires with my progress and with whether they are actually safe or not…
                  A tidbit I have found it they are toxic as they contain cyanide in the leaves, wood and pit-fruit is OK…
                  Thanks all for your support here-I needed it!

• BinkyBunny
                  8776 posts Send Private Message

Great kokaneeandkahlua!!!  They really are so great over there at Busy Bunny.  They are a wonderful company that really cares about the safety and health of bunnies.  I’m sure she”ll get back to you.

Keep us updated on your findings!

• Scarlet_Rose
                    Participant
                    4293 posts Send Private Message

OK take a deep breath.  Peach wood is OK if properly dried out/aged.   http://www.coloradohrs.com/articles/adopt_prepare.asp They key is, properly and completely dried out and organic otherwise there is a trace amount of cyanide which cannot be flushed out of a body and builds up, thus making it a toxic chemical. I would say that unless you harvest and dry it yourself, stick with the safer woods like apple and willow.

• LittlePuffyTail
                      18092 posts Send Private Message

This is a topic that really bugs me. I too often see products "for rabbits" that are bad for rabbits, like treats with peanuts and corn and such.

I especially get aggravated by all the companies who say things like "clinically tested, balanced nutrition" for rabbits and the food is full of stuff that is terrible for rabbits.  People who don’t know better through research think they are buying healthy food and treats. Just peeves me.

• Scarlet_Rose
                        Participant
                        4293 posts Send Private Message

I wholeheartedly second that! I would love for these companies to actually care about the animal and be informed as much as they say they are and care. But somewhere back in time all these bad things for rabbits was assumed OK, I mean they were considered a stock animal and the mold is hard to break and it is heartbreaking that it still continues to this day.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE I am sooo mad right now …….Don’t buy peach Wood Sticks