Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING humping during the bonding process

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Rex
      Participant
      42 posts Send Private Message

I have been trying to bond a new bunny to my old one for almost 12 weeks now.  They are okay for about 30 minutes on dates in the kitchen.  Coffeebean is very territorial over our apartment and doesn’t want Tealeaf near his cage or  his territory (which is basically the whole thing, including me).  When we went to the adoption event to have him pick a girlfriend, he seemed to get along really well with Tealeaf, and humped her a couple times over the course of two hours. 

The first month he was very aggressive with her – apparently we did not have permission to bring her home.  He is nowhere near letting her join his living space, but he is much better on dates.  The last few weeks, Tealeaf has decided that she is tired of waiting around for Coffeebean to take charge and that she is now boss.  She has been humping him a lot and if we don’t stop her, she will do it so much he gets angry and attacks.

How much humping should we allow on dates?  I have been letting her hump him for a couple seconds, then taking her off and putting them side by side for cross petting.  Today, she just hopped back on after a few seconds, so I ended the date so Coffeebean wouldn’t pick a fight.

Also, they both request grooming from each other, but neither one wants to be the one to do it.  Is there a way I can trick them into grooming each other?   

• Deleted User
        Participant
        22064 posts Send Private Message

I like those names you picked for them. You are on your way to getting a bond together. You can use some mashed banana and rub it on their foreheads to see if they will ‘groom’ it off of each other. If they don’t, no worries, with time they will get to grooming one another. If the denied grooming request does not lead to fighting, just let them sit it out. If there is aggressiion because of the denial to groom, you might try imitating the grooms on them using your fingers. About the humping, just continue on as you have, allow it to a certain degree: when it gets too annoying for the one rabbit, stop it.
          Do you have a unit of space for them that neither of the two has been in? You must allow their new budding relationship to develop first in a neutral location, in a cementing phase, as neither bunny will likely allow the other to just invade their turf. Where have you held the dates?

• Rex
          Participant
          42 posts Send Private Message

We give them their dates in the kitchen, on a blanket, as Coffeebean hates linoleum and never went in there on his own.  The only other place we have that is close to being neutral would be the bathtub, but it has a sliding door setup that would make it difficult to break up fights quickly.  Coffeebean seems to be okay with having her in the kitchen now, but not in any of the carpeted areas.  We are saving those for after they bond.

I will try the banana idea 

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING humping during the bonding process