Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Hubby agreed to try 2nd Bun!!!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • skunklionshow
      Participant
      1257 posts Send Private Message

Well the hubby agreed to try out a 2nd bunny…(per my post "trying to convince hubby&quot.  I’m wanting to bond Jessica w/ our Lionhead Leo.  He’s visited the house (sans Jessica) and got along great w/ the cats.  He wants me to do a trial visit to see if he gets along w/ Jessica.

I’m going to try the scented towel to prepare her.  When I take my Max cat to the vet tomorrow, I’m going to get a neuter quote.  He needs to be fixed and totally sprayed my apt during his last visit. 

Will it be easier to bond them post neuter?  Other suggestions for me to be succesful?  Unfortunately I do not have a lot of space….so I’m a bit concerned how to do a set up during trial visits.  My 1/2 room doesn’t have a door or an AC.  The bathroom doesn’t have a door (I have a motif thingy going on) or an AC.

• Lucy
        Participant
        370 posts Send Private Message

a fan moving air should be fine.. the other this is that you can build a makeshift pet door to block stuff off. If you have ANY pieces left over from building one of those condos, you can zip tie them together to block of the door (we did that for the kitchen)

The first time I bonded them was in the bathtub.. no door needed!

I just used my x-pen and put them both in there.. and it was easy to move around- that’s also what they use at the shelter we got patina from.

It will be easier to bond post neuter- I have a horrible time getting my male to stop mounting my female- and he was fixed! You should wait some time after his neutered before you start.

Also– the stunt bunny worked wonders for me- it let both of my bunnies really get their aggression out on this stuffed rabbit, so when they met it was as bad. You should do a search for “Patina and Fujoe Bonding Journal” – you can see what I went through, and letting you know it took me a month of frustration– but it totally paid off. good luck and congrats!

• vanessa.b
          Participant
          15 posts Send Private Message

Glad hubby has agreed to a second bun – two are a lot more fun!
            I would suggest you leave the bonding until after the neutering. My Barney was a humping nightmare until he was developed enough to be sorted out. The humping pretty much died out straight away (and thankfully the spraying) but it has taken about 4 weeks to notice a big change in his character – a lot more affectionate and a lot less territorial. Funny (not), he used to spray my daughter and attack me – I think I was the worse off!!!
            I would guess it would be easier for the bonding when Leo is on a hormonal even keel which does not happen overnight, I would wait at least a couple of weeks.
            Good luck and enjoy!!

• BinkyBunny
            8776 posts Send Private Message

I ditto what everyone has said. Wait until both rabbits are fully free of their hormones (about a month after neutering)

It’s a smart move to do a trial run, or what I call bunny dating. Just know that on average it takes around 3 weeks to bond, but with that being the average, that mean some bonds can take longer.

Check out the bonding section here on this site, and then also check out the "links" section where I have posted some of my favorite links about bonding.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Hubby agreed to try 2nd Bun!!!