Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE how to teach bun to eat his cecals?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • kralspace
      Participant
      2663 posts Send Private Message

Eeauuu…..I know, that sounds awful, but….

The little lionhead I’ve been babysitting  just recently finally started producing cecals, but he hasn’t a clue about them. When he came, he was living on yogurt candies, really junked up pellets and pooped just the tiniest tiny brown poopets. He finally came around to a bit of hay and the plain pellets that he snubbed for the longest time.

I finally got him to eat the plain pellets by spiking them with a bit of applesauce at first,,,,,,,,hmmmm

I know my four ‘enjoy’ theirs to the point of grossing me out, but should I just not worry about it since he is at least eating a bit of healthy food now?

thanks, kathy

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

as i understand it, if the diet is too rich, i don’t think they will eat the cecals, so maybe as he starts eating better food, he will start eating them.

• babybunsmum
          Participant
          3896 posts Send Private Message

i think what beka says is right.  or it could be that plus the fact that they’re producing too many cecals, eating some when you don’t see them, and leaving some for you to find.  i’d focus on slowly adjusting his diet as you have been.  once pinky-poo ate more hay she all-together stopped leaving cecals for me to find.  tho i was quite lucky with her… she gorges on hay!

• kralspace
            Participant

thanks, I hope he is eating some when I’m not looking. He’s put on a little weight, but I still don’t like how bony he is, poor little thing. If it wasn’t for all that fur I’d hate to think what he looks like.

• babybunsmum
              Participant
              3896 posts Send Private Message

awww… poor guy!  i’m glad you’re looking out for him.  ((((((sending out some put on weight vibes))))))

• Gravehearted
                Participant
                2428 posts Send Private Message

yes – he’s likely over producing cecals due to his overly rich diet and yogies, so that’s likely why you are seeing them. hopefully with a healthier diet he’ll stop producing so many and you won’t keep seeing them. do you think you can talk his family into feeding him more healthfully?

• kralspace
                  Participant

Unfortunately, his owner recently passed away and it seems that none of the kids (grown) can keep him, or want him, so he may join my zoo here.

I took a mean advantage of his recent neuter to cut out the yogurt candy while he wasn’t in the mood to eat anything and he’s quit doing that frantic mosquito dance when he thinks he’s going to get one. He changed over from cat litter to a hay box finally, but just doesn’t eat much hay yet. The only green I’ve found that he’ll eat so far is green leaf lettuce and watercress.

I was hoping to bond him with the lovely Pringles and Toby but since the neuter Pringles seems to have it in for the little guy. When she’s out, she’ll circle his condo barking and growling, standing on her hind legs to stick her nose through the grid to bite at him. And he’s such a trusting little fellow he’ll just amble over to her like Hi! I’m glad to see you!

He and Toby get along very well, I let them out by themselves to play a bit in another room. Simba tries to mount Toby, but it’s with the attitude of “I’d like to be dominant, please, pretty please….” its so cute, and Toby just ignores it and hops away and they play follow the leader.

sigh, I never thought I would have 5!

• Beka27
                    Participant
                    16016 posts Send Private Message

did he ever get any hay or no? poor lil guy. thank goodness you’re able to take him in. you could try rehoming him… if 5 is too many, but it could take awhile. maybe once his diet gets on track he’ll learn to love his hay, or i’d try some differnet kinds.

• kralspace
                      Participant

I don’t think he ever got hay, I moved his condo a few feet away from Pringles and Toby so they can sit in their litter/hay boxes and watch each other, hoping he’d take a hint from them that it’s ok to eat that stuff…

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE how to teach bun to eat his cecals?