Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE How to prevent a dirty butt?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Karrakov
      Participant
      41 posts Send Private Message

I’ve been having to clean (brush out) Benny’s bum a lot recently. He got sick a while ago and wouldn’t groom down there so I had to take over. It got so bad that he was loosing hair but thankfully that’s gotten better. He’s healthy now and grooming but still can’t seem to keep it completely clean down there so every few weeks or so I have to help him out. I have a litter box with a grate on it so he doesn’t sit directly on the wet litter, but after a day or two there’s mess ontop of the grate too so he eventually does sit on some yucky stuff. I try to keep it as clean as possibly but we all know how much bunnies go to the bathroom! Does anyone have any tips on how I can keep him cleaner down there or maybe why he isn’t getting it completely clean? He’s always been a really good groomer and it wasn’t until he got sick that this started. Bailey has the same problem but she’s always been a lazy groomer so I understand why she’s like that. Would trimming hair down there help keep it cleaner? He’s a holland lop and has some long fluffy hair. 

• tobyluv
        Participant
        3310 posts Send Private Message

Sometimes when a rabbit gets a dirty/poopy butt, it’s diet related. It can happen when a rabbit eats too many pellets and not enough hay, and it gets better when the quantity of pellets is cut, which usually results in more hay being consumed. Is it possible that diet could be the cause of Benny’s problem? If so, you can try reducing the amount of his pellets.

A vet can perform a hygiene clip or shave on a rabbit, which should help, but it would be good if you could find out the cause of his dirty butt.

• Karrakov
          Participant
          41 posts Send Private Message

That does make sense! Since he’s been sick he’s been on pellets more. My vet said free choice but I’ve been giving him about 3/4 a day. For about a month while he was really sick he wasn’t eating any hay so totally lines up! For the last few weeks he’s been eating a ton more hay, pretty much back to normal so maybe his messy butt will be fixed soon? The vet doesn’t want me to cut out pellets because he needs to keep his weight up, he’s just not a healthy guy. I’m trying to cut back to 1/2 cup but I need to make sure his weight won’t drop again (I cut them out completely a few months ago and his weight dropped a ton)

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE How to prevent a dirty butt?