Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE How to pick up my furball???

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Rain
      Participant
      547 posts Send Private Message

I’ve realized that I’m going to have to do a lot of picking up and holding with Rain soon because of her spay, and that is actually one of my worst fears. I’m so scared she’s going to hurt herself (I’ve seen the horror stories) if I try to hold her, because she kicks and thrashes. Once she actually jumped out of a woman’s arms at the pet shop.The only times she’s been held was when the silly floof jumped into the bathtub and realized she needed our help, and at the vets office because they did the little bunny burrito thing. But how am I going to hold her at home for things like checking her stitches and the surgery site? And also her nails are huge and are going to get snagged on something if I don’t trim them soon. Is there a way to trim bunny nails without holding them? I could take her to the vet to do it of course, but I don’t know how she’ll hold her without her being completely rolled up, lol. Any advice???

• CocoaPuff
        Participant
        16 posts Send Private Message

For the nails, you could use a bunny burrito (swaddle the bunny in a towel like a baby) and poke each foot out individually. Please be gentle when maneuvering each foot in and out of the burrito. The burrito is super helpful for both owner and bunny because it helps the bunny feel secure and if they do struggle, the swaddle should be snug enough that they cannot hurt themselves or you.
          Maybe to reduce stress of both you and your bunny’s first time burrito nail trim do her front legs the first day and back legs the second day.

As for checking stitches, I’m lucky to have a rabbit who runs to be picked up for pets, however she had a super bad case of uterine cancer. Her surgery was complex and difficult. She was old when it happened. So I did not want to pick her up. Instead I held a treat (parsley in this case) in the air and laid on the floor with a flashlight. This way I could peek at her tummy while she stretched up for the treat on her hind legs. No picking up needed!

• Wick & Fable
          5782 posts Send Private Message

Mini practices are good, and your general approach is important. Rabbits will very naturally feel insecure and unsafe above ground, so do your best to be confident and have an air of security. If you are hesitant, she can sense that in your motions and that will make her more nervous. Be confident!

It’s very important that she feels her feet are flat (on your hand/arm) and her body is against something (your chest).

It can be good to get her used to being up in the air, so lifting her up a few centimeters, then gently putting her back down may be good. I find the best way to do this is literally having your front up against the rabbit’s head and back so it feels snug as it goes up. It doesn’t have support on the bottom, but it’s entire back/back of head has support. So for Wick, I would sit on my heels (knees on the ground, butt on my heels) and lean over with my head right up next to his, and my chest would be touching the rest of his body (like you’re a cocoon over your rabbit). In this position, I’d use both my hands to lift him up from underneath his belly, lifting myself up at the same pace so my neck is still up against his body, then gently place him back down. Its only a few centimeters, so I’m still sitting on the floor the entire time. I’m essentially using my body as a ceiling that he constantly is in contact with as I lift him. This can get a rabbit used to the sensation of being picked up. If Rain doesn’t let you get in the position, you can probably get to do it when she’s eating pellets.

This can also get her used to feeling secure when up against you. You want her to associate you with security.

Maybe try starting with that, then you can build to a lift where, instead of keeping your hands on her belly, you move one to be below her feet, then you can turn her so you’re actually carrying her. This again, can all be done while you’re still sitting on the floor, so if she jumps out, there’s less chance of harm. The end goal with this technique is you sitting upright with her in your arms.

Maybe this will help!

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Rain
            Participant

Thank you guys!
              Wick, so basically, I’m leaning over her with my body? I tried doing that a little today, and with pellets, and she just ends up running away. I think she’s scared of it. I try to do it calmly and gently, not like just throwing myself on top of her ofcourse. She isn’t having any of it, though, unfortunately.

• Wick & Fable

Yes. I imagine it can be scary for a rabbit who hasn’t been interacted in that fashion before. It’s good that you’re reading she’s scared of it, so try not to push too much, but if you can be successful in doing it, that may help.

An alternative could be simply lifting and putting down her litterbox while she’s in it, so she gets some exposure to secure above-ground views?

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Wick & Fable

Also alternatively, maybe try the same technique I described earlier, but don’t hover over. Just do the hands. The body-ceiling just prevents hopping out. The main key is that Rain learns that when she’s picked up, she’ll be out back down safely.

It’s always good to end every exercise on a good note. If she jumps out or flails out, try and pick her up and gently put her back down. If she’s flailing a bit, hold firmly and try and find a window of calmness before putting her back down. You do not want her to associate her flailing as the way she gets down. She should associate being calm/still with being placed down safely.

• Rain
                  Participant

Yes! I’ve come back with some progress made. I was starting to think it would be hopeless with Rain, but we got some things done. First, I had to teach her that if she ran away from me, she wouldn’t get her food. So, that kind of made her sit down more. Then, I had to get her used to having someone leaning over her with both hands around her. Right now, I’m getting her used to half of her body being off of the ground. She would let me lift her hind legs up. I think the litter box method would be easier though, so I will try that next.

• Rain
                    Participant

Yes! I’ve come back with some progress made. I was starting to think it would be hopeless with Rain, but we got some things done. First, I had to teach her that if she ran away from me, she wouldn’t get her food. So, that kind of made her sit down more. Then, I had to get her used to having someone leaning over her with both hands around her. Right now, I’m getting her used to half of her body being off of the ground. She would let me lift her hind legs up. I think the litter box method would be easier though, so I will try that next.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE How to pick up my furball???