Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE How to maintain appetite for hay?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • Rainn
      Participant
      83 posts Send Private Message

Sorry in advance if this is a double post i think my wifi made my previous attempt disappear 🥲 So, i know this is a commonly asked question but I’m quite paranoid about Eclipse’s hay habits after Rain developed dental issues from refusing to eat it. Right now I give 1/4th cup of alfalfa pellets in the morning all at once, then 1/4th again in the night. But I noticed that Eclipse seems to wait for her pellets instead of eating hay. How do I combat this? Im especially worried because this week she’ll be introduced to lettuce and the window for hay eating time will be even shorter. Should I give her an extra 1/4th midday to make sure she’s eating SOMETHING (since young rabbits can have unlimited), or should I just give the nighttime 1/4th earlier? Right now its 8 a.m for morning pellets and 10/11 p.m for night pellets. She does not get ANY pellets as treats or small snacks outside of this because I really really dont want to mess this up this time.

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

She’s very young, right? Personally I would make sure she has pellets and timothy available at all times for now (if she’s still under 6 months). When she’s a bit older you can start reducing the amount of pellets she gets to encourage hay eating.

Presenting hay in a variety of ways can also encourage her to try it (stuffed in toys, toilet paper tubes, in the litter box, in a hay rack, etc.).

My impression is that Rain’s teeth and hay were kind of a chicken and an egg question. She seemed so similar to my Moose, and in his case I think he didn’t eat hay because he had bad teeth, not the other way around.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Rainn
          Participant

Yes she’s 13 weeks now. And *sigh* I think you’re right…because a bunny that can eat hay will usually happily eat it at some point in the day.  Could just have been genetics for Moose and Rain 😔. Luckily Eclipse seems to be eating hay even when pellets are present so I think I will give her 3 feedings instead of the 2, just to be sure she’s getting plenty of protein/calcium. She also had her first small piece of romaine today and everything looks normal 😌 They do grow so quickly

• DanaNM

Yes, as long as she’s munching on hay a bit then I think she will be just fine when it’s time to reduce the pellets. 🙂

When do we get to see some pics of her? The suspense is killing me!

Poor Moose and Rain 🙁 Some buns just don’t hit the genetic lottery, but it doesn’t change how much we love them. <3

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Rainn
              Participant

Ah I still don’t really know how to insert photos and videos on here after five years 😂 Hopefully those send, I’ve got so many already. I’ll try to add a video of Eclipse binkying as well after gleefully eating my hair like its spaghetti 🤦‍♂️
                And you’re very right, it’s really heartbreaking when you’re doing your best and expect those full 8-10 years and it doesn’t turn out that way…but it’s like that with humans too sometimes. All we can do is love them and have our happiest years anyways.

• DanaNM

Awwww a Dutch! I love dutchies! 😀 The pics came through fine!

And yes so true about never really knowing how long we’ve got with anything or any bun. <3

• Wick & Fable
                  5782 posts Send Private Message

Up close boople pictures are the best :3

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Rainn
                    Participant

Agreed! Love the precious booples 🙂

• LBJ10
                      16908 posts Send Private Message

Aww! Look at her! She’s definitely growing. It’s understandable that she would be focusing on pellets right now. As long as she is eating some hay, then I think you will be OK later on down the road. She should make the transition naturally when it comes time to reduce her pellets.

• Rainn
                        Participant

Thank you! I’ll be keeping this all in mind. ❤️

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE How to maintain appetite for hay?