Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE How to keep bun from chewing stitches?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • carlyquinn_
      Participant
      13 posts Send Private Message

Iris has been doing great since her spay surgery yesterday, however she is dead set on ripping out her stitches. She was sent home from the vet with a soft Elizabethan collar (or cone of shame as I like to call it), which she ripped to shreds this morning. I tried monitoring her but every time I turned around she was chewing at her tummy. She wouldn’t hold still enough for me to wrap her with bandages or any of the sort. We called the vet and she advised that we increase her daily meticam dosage, which I did. She also suggested that we put her into a premie onesie and cover the incision. We covered her wound with a band-aid patch and put her in a onesie, which took a good 40 minutes and a lot of compromising. However, as I was mid in the middle of typing this, I looked over to find that she had somehow fit her head under the onesie and chewed off the band-aid. And so, I have resorted to safety-pinning the demolished cone back together. Since she has made it evident that nothing will hold her back, does anyone know any other methods of keeping her away from her stitches? I thought maybe if I lengthened my list of options, it would buy more time, haha. Has anyone else had a stubborn bun who wouldn’t give it a rest?

• Jazlyn
        Participant
        83 posts Send Private Message

I just had the same problem about two weeks ago, my bunny would go at it as soon as he could. The only thing that stopped him was a bunny-sized e-collar, but they only had the plastic ones. He didn’t hate it but it certainly wasn’t his favourite thing. If the soft collar doesn’t work, you could try a plastic one and see how she does with it, but keep a close eye because it can make them very upset. I was always scared mine would stop eating, but fortunately, that never happened and both took it perfectly.

• Bam
          16871 posts Send Private Message

There is an ongoing thread where the bun owner made a “cone” herself for her bunny. The thread has some not-so-pleasant pictures related to the bunny’s case, but if you scroll down a bit, you’ll see the cone, made from a yoghurt cup and a wooly sock.
            https://binkybunny.com/FORUM/tabid/54/aft/161465/Default.aspx

ETA: adequate pain relief is very important after a spay. Did you get pain meds for her? Sometimes the prescribed dosage is too low, there’s actually quite a span within the therapeutic window (the range from lowest to highest recomended dose). Bunnies metabolize Metacam quicker than dogs and cats, and sometimes a bun gets a dosage suitable for a cat, but actually needs more. Pain and discomfort can cause a bun to bite at a wound. It is of course of the utmost importance that she doesn’t manage to pull out the stitches.

• carlyquinn_
            Participant
            13 posts Send Private Message

Thanks so much! The yogurt cup collar from the thread is a great idea. And to answer your question, I was given a daily pain relief medication to give her. I have increased her dosage, and have been giving her half of a dose throughout the day whenever she appears to be uncomfortable.

• Bam
              16871 posts Send Private Message

Here’s Medirabbit’s chart of safe analgesics for rabbits. The active ingredient in Metacam is meloxicam, in case you want to look it up:
                http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Analgesics/safe_analgesics.htm

• tinkerbellstargirl
                Participant
                11 posts Send Private Message

You could try the onesie AND a harness? We did this for a friend of mines rabbit who was constantly trying to chew. Harness also worked with a sock on my guinea pig when he had a lipoma removed. Xxx

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE How to keep bun from chewing stitches?