Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE How to help my surviving bun after loss of a partner

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Milo_Scout
      Participant
      4 posts Send Private Message

I lost Milo, one of my bunnies very unexpectedly yesterday. It happened at the vet, and I left his body there to be cremated. He and his partner are the first buns I’ve ever had so I’ve not had to deal with death of one in a pair before. After I left the vet, I started researching how to support Scout, my surviving bun during this time. I came across articles stating that I should let her sit with his body for a few hours. I called the vet to see if I can come get him, and they said that I can but now he has been in the freezer overnight so he will be cold and hard. Do you all think this would be too traumatic for Scout to see him like this or should I still let her sit with him? Other than sniffing his carrier and looking around for a few minutes when I returned from the vet last night, she seems to be doing well so far. Based on what happened yesterday, the vet said he may have been sick for a long time but was hiding it exceptionally well. Scout saw me put Milo in his carrier, take him, and then come home without him yesterday so maybe she understands already? Any insight would be very appreciated.

• Wick & Fable
        5782 posts Send Private Message

Welcome to BB Milo_Scout. I’m sorry to see this event has occurred which brought you to this site, but we are a community of rabbit-owners with many experiences, including a lot who have lost rabbits unfortunately. Hopefully members will be able to give some good tidbits to help you and Scout through this.

Your actions may need to be reactive, based on how you see Scout reacting for the next few weeks. If your presence is comforting for Scout, being around him more often would be great. If he likes a certain type of music, has an activity he really enjoys, try and help engage him. Rabbits cope in their own way

If he starts diminishing appetite, you want to do your best to stimulate it, and in worst case scenarios, force feed him. Rabbits can over groom / chew a lot when they are depressed or frustrated, so these may occur and necessitate minor intervention, but not eating is a big intervention.

Keep us updated on how Scout and you are doing. Sending you good vibes!

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Luna
          Participant
          2219 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry about your bun. Scout is very lucky to have you there to support him. With Milo’s body having been preserved already, I’m not sure if there would be any of his scent left for Scout to properly say goodbye. I agree with Wick that you should watch Scout for changes, and continue to comfort each other.

Binky free Milo

• Kokaneeandkahlua
            Participant
            12067 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry
              My dear Kahlua passed at the vet yesterday as well *hugs*

I think that you could forgo letting Scout say goodbye to Milo with the time that’s passed.

When we had to say goodbye to Rupert a few years ago, I purchased Kahlua stuffed animals and she snuggled them and groomed them and did very well with them as her companion. So I would suggest maybe you try that. And you are going to be a good comfort to Scout as well.

• Milo_Scout
              Participant

Thank you all for your kind words. This is harder than I ever could have imagined. Scout still seems to be eating, drinking, pooping as normal but I’ll continue monitoring her and giving lots of attention. I decided not to retrieve him to show Scout, and instead will just collect his ashes and have a little goodbye.

Kokanee….I am so sorry to hear that you lost Kahlua yesterday as well. You are in my thoughts.

• Manda
                Participant
                176 posts Send Private Message

So sorry for your loss Milo_Scout. I unfortunately have been through it 4 times over the last 10 years so I know what you are going through. Honestly- I have done both and did not see much of a difference when it came to bonding to a new bunny and grieving. Cinni saw the body of Thumper- her first mate and bonding to jaxx was easy from what I recall. She did not get to see Jaxx’s body and she ended up bonding to Sophia with some difficulty but Sophia was a baby bunny and only annoyed Cinni. When Sophia passed at the age of 1(stroke) it took the same amount of difficulty to bond her to Mr Buns so I don’t know which is best. I have recently adopted an  8 week old buns for Mr Buns to become friends with he seems in love already. Cinni was about 12 years old and I firmly believe the Mr Buns understood what was happening and that we all knew the end was coming and they said goodbye in their own way. Mr Buns displayed his grief for the first 5 days after I took Cinni off to Rainbow Bridge (to be put down at the vets) by shaking his head and having ear irritation, giving up eating kale and just generally being quieter. He would lie out but stopped kicking his big feet out. Since I have brought home Petunia he seems to have perked up GREATLY. He is not shaking his head or having itchy ears and seems to have increased his appetite with his veggies(dill is a new fav) and will lie down next to Petunia with his feet kicked out now. Do not worry about your bun- they know more than they appear to what is going on around them and will grieve in his own way just ensure he keeps eating, drinking and pooping normally and if you can get him some stuffed toys(rabbits especially) that will give him someone to relate to. If you can- find him a new partner as soon as possible that you can bond him to otherwise give him lots of extra attention, love and treats and privileges during this difficult time.

Good luck!

Binky free Milo

• Milo_Scout
                  Participant

Thank you, Manda. That is all very helpful, but I’m sorry that you’ve had to become so knowledgeable through so much pain. The vet that saw Milo on Monday night was not sure what had happened to him (he couldn’t breathe, but his lungs seemed to be clear), and therefore didn’t know whether it was anything contagious that Scout could have picked up. Due to this, I decided to get a full work up done on Scout to make sure she is in good health. I took her in today and had the opportunity to speak to the head vet at the practice who was able to review Milo’s chart and give a second opinion on what happened. She believes he had a tumor in the bottom front of his neck. Though this brings me a lot of relief to have an answer and know that Probably nothing but surgery (which may have been stressful enough to bring about the end anyway) could have made any difference, I still want want to wait for the results of all of Scout’s tests before introducing her to a new bun. When the time comes I hope she falls in love quickly again. <3

• Manda
                    Participant

You’re welcome Milo_Scout. Yes sadly I have much experience but thats the way it goes with these little guys. Such tiny creatures who have such a huge impact on our hearts. I would be exactly the same way and you are great owner getting Scout checked out just to be safe. How old was Milo?

• Manda
                      Participant

You’re welcome Milo_Scout. Yes sadly I have much experience but thats the way it goes with these little guys. Such tiny creatures who have such a huge impact on our hearts. I would be exactly the same way and you are great owner getting Scout checked out just to be safe. How old was Milo?

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE How to help my surviving bun after loss of a partner