Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE how to help molt on rex fur?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Trixieandcookies
      Participant
      77 posts Send Private Message

Hello! My bun bun is a year and almost 2 months old. This is the second time this year for her big molt, the last one was not bad but she did get a hair ball(she got gi stasis 2 times) But this molt shes been passing the hair no problem but i will see her to not be feeling well until i give her exercise and papaya to help pass the hair ball and she usually passes it at the end of the day. Is there any way i can help her? I can’t brush her because shes a mini rex and rex fur is extremely delicate(but nice and velvety). I’ve been getting the excess fur off with my hands but is there anything else I can do?I want to limit the amount of hair she has to ingest as little as possible to prevent her from getting gi stasis. We’ve already spend a LOT of money on vet visits this year with so many complications on her spay and the emergency vet visit from her last molt. Please help!

Thank you everyone!😀

• Wick & Fable
        5782 posts Send Private Message

Find what works best for you and your rabbit. Some people talk about using lint rollers. I am an exclusive hand-plucker with both my buns. Whatever you can comfortably get helps, no matter how little or big! For hand-plucking specifically, I actually have two different approaches for my rabbits. One rabbit I essentially wait until there’s a big “release” of fur in an area, and then just go at it like there’s no tomorrow. It’s uncomfortable and he doesn’t like it very much, but he tolerates it and his demeanor suggests he prefers that over being constantly groomed for short periods of time. My other rabbit is much less OK with being handled. She is very much “on my terms” for when she wants to interact with humans, so whenever I get to pet her, I do small handplucks where-ever is most successful. She definitely has many more string-of-pearl poops during a molt than my other rabbit, but because I’m pretty consistent and patient with her handplucking, I tend to get a lot all-in-all.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Trixieandcookies
          Participant
          77 posts Send Private Message

I am doing lots of hand plucking. This morning trixie got so mad and annoyed at me she ran around her pen and was digging really hard at all her blankets but it is worth it to prevent hair balls. I will continue doing this. I am glad I am not the only bunny mom that has to deal with this. :)Thank you!

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE how to help molt on rex fur?